Prospect Info: 2019-20 WJC Thread

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Man oh man that puck was about to go WAY over the glass if not for the camera. And that was the TSN camera, apparently not available to use for official reviews. Can only imagine the vitriol from Canadian fans if the shoe was on the other foot

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
I don’t know the IIHF rule book but it doesn’t look good to me that Canada wasn’t called for the delay of game. I hope someone can find the rule that states that camera prevents a delay of game penalty despite not changing that the puck was over the glass.
What I could find:

RULE 135 – DELAY OF GAME/SHOOTING OR THROWING THE PUCK OUT OF PLAY
i. A player who shoots, throws, kicks, or bats the puck directly out of
the playing area from inside his defending zone anywhere in the rink (except where there is no protective glass) during game action, without any deflection, will be assessed a minor penalty. The determining factor will be the position of the puck when it is played.
ii. No penalty will be assessed if a player shoots the puck directly over the boards at the players’ benches but not over the protective glass behind the players’ benches.
iii. No penalty will be assessed if a player shoots the puck directly over the boards at any areas of the rink without protective glass directly above the boards.
iv. A player who deliberately shoots the puck out of play anywhere on the ice during play or after a stoppage will be assessed a minor penalty.
v. A player who lifts the puck from the defending zone and hits the scoreclock or any structural object above the ice surface, causing a stoppage of play, will not be assessed a penalty.

Would seem like a sketchy definition of "above the ice surface" you'd think.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Man oh man that puck was about to go WAY over the glass if not for the camera. And that was the TSN camera, apparently not available to use for official reviews. Can only imagine the vitriol from Canadian fans if the shoe was on the other foot

They probably would have formed some kind of group, raised a formal petition, and had the Russians gold medal taken away. Then they would feel great about how they ruined a great moment for a bunch of kids.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
They probably would have formed some kind of group, raised a formal petition, and had the Russians gold medal taken away. Then they would feel great about how they ruined a great moment for a bunch of kids.

I'm Canadian and have just never understood how a lot of people live and die by this tournament. It's fun to watch but I'd feel bad berating 17 year olds, literal kids lol

Reactions: nugg and My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
That was just a memorable, white-knuckle classic between Canada and Russia. Beautiful to watch -- both teams played outstanding. The intensity was just incredible. The game-winning goal by Akil Thomas literally lifted me off my couch to cheer. This is why we like hockey -- this is why we like sports.

Congrats to both teams for a terrific contest which we won't soon forget.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
That was just a memorable, white-knuckle classic between Canada and Russia. Beautiful to watch -- both teams played outstanding. The intensity was just incredible. The game-winning goal by Akil Thomas literally lifted me off my couch to cheer. This is why we like hockey -- this is why we like sports.

You might be the most positive internet poster I've ever encountered.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

So much salt...

At least they didn’t end the tournament, trying to injure everyone before going home.

;)

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010

How did you like Smith and Bahl this tournament? What are your impressions? I'd like to read your thoughts on those two.

Reactions: nugg and Ripshot 43

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Smith was a breakout machine, was real steady in his own zone and was almost forced to do everything when paired with McIsaac, who looked horrible in today’s game and was benched after the 3rd goal if I’m not mistaken. I see a lot of Duncan Keith in Ty Smith’s game. Very efficient, very fluid and can be as solid QB’ing a power play or playing on the PK.

As for Bahl, he was Canada’s best shutdown dman. He has a great reach, neutralize his opponent along the boards every single time but had a couple of errors in front of his net, leaving his man open in the slot off rebounds.

Both players were Canada’s shutdown pair at the end of the gold medal game, so that speaks volume IMO.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Yeah but next season he HAS TO make the Devils team.

No, he doesn’t.

If he does, great but if he’s not ready, he’ll learn the pro game in Binghamton.

There’s no rush and the last thing we need is to screw up a promising youngster because we want to fast forward things.

It’s much easier to jump from the junior rank to the NHL as a forward. Doing so for a dman is the complete opposite.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
That is not true at all. From the Bahl-penalty down to the end, they had Byram and Bernard-Docker on the ice exclusively.

Bahl got a penalty with 2:41 left in the 3rd period, meaning he and Smith we’re on the ice to defend Canada’s lead since Akil Thomas scored the go ahead goal with 3:58 left to play in the game.

It’s kind of hard to be on the ice, while being in the penalty box!

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
How did you like Smith and Bahl this tournament? What are your impressions? I'd like to read your thoughts on those two.

What impressed me most about Smith and Bahl is sort of the opposite of what I expected.

Smith is known for his numbers and offensive production, of course. His best attribute, in my mind, is ability to quickly and cleanly break out of the defensive zone with possession, both through his top-notch passing and his skating/puckhandling combination. It is important to note that he is not a particularly dynamic player in the offensive zone -- we're not talking about a Bowen Byram or Jamie Drysdale, here. He is just smart and excellent across the board at moving the puck in all three zones. But what really impressed me in the WJC tournament -- especially in the final vs. Russia -- was his compete level and acuity in the defensive zone. Sometimes knocked for his lack of size, Smith was very good along the boards and in the dirty areas, and battled hard and often successfully against absolutely huge Russian forwards like Marchenko and Sokolov. The more I watch Smith, the more I think that, though he's never going to be a 60+ point Norris candidate, I think he'll be a 45-50 point guy who plays extremely well in all three zones. He's smart and competitive and makes his entire team better every time he steps on the ice -- this is why Team Canada smartly relied so heavy on him, giving Smith huge minutes in all situations, all tournament long. Though an apt comparable does not come to mind right now, I see elements of multiple players in him -- Jared Spurgeon, Torrey Krug, Ryan Ellis all come to mind.

As for Bahl -- needless to say at 6'7-240 he's known for his physicality and shut-down ability. Though he did not play with a particular "edge" in this tourney, his defensive abilities were quite well displayed. His size and mobility combined with very solid (though it still needs some work) positioning makes him a constant factor for the opposition to be concerned with in the defensive zone. Bahl rarely loses battles in the corners, along the boards, or in the crease. But again -- what impressed me about Bahl was not what I expected. He was actually very adept with the puck, and all throughout the tourney there were instances where he would make a move, accelerate and skate out of the zone with possession. His outlet passing was quite impressive, and he even made a few smart rushes in the offensive zone. I would say that Bahl's ceiling and closest comparable would be Colton Parayko -- a type of player the Devils have sorely needed for quite some time.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Yea my opinion of Smith has changed a bit. I was expecting a bit more dynamic offensive ability, but I don't think that will come at the NHL level. He will probably get points, but not in a way someone like Cale Makar does. However, he seems like a guy who will thrive on a good team with a good system (cough...cough...cough), and eat up minutes while playing a strong, but not overly dynamic game. I know everyone here desperately wants some franchise-level #1 D, but you really don't need that. You do need a solid grp of d-men though...and sorry to say it, but the devils d (current) is...not good.

Drysdale has been every bit as impressive as advertised....do want him :)

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
What impressed me most about Smith and Bahl is sort of the opposite of what I expected.

Smith is known for his numbers and offensive production, of course. His best attribute, in my mind, is ability to quickly and cleanly break out of the defensive zone with possession, both through his top-notch passing and his skating/puckhandling combination. It is important to note that he is not a particularly dynamic player in the offensive zone -- we're not talking about a Bowen Byram or Jamie Drysdale, here. He is just smart and excellent across the board at moving the puck in all three zones. But what really impressed me in the WJC tournament -- especially in the final vs. Russia -- was his compete level and acuity in the defensive zone. Sometimes knocked for his lack of size, Smith was very good along the boards and in the dirty areas, and battled hard and often successfully against absolutely huge Russian forwards like Marchenko and Sokolov. The more I watch Smith, the more I think that, though he's never going to be a 60+ point Norris candidate, I think he'll be a 45-50 point guy who plays extremely well in all three zones. He's smart and competitive and makes his entire team better every time he steps on the ice -- this is why Team Canada smartly relied so heavy on him, giving Smith huge minutes in all situations, all tournament long. Though an apt comparable does not come to mind right now, I see elements of multiple players in him -- Jared Spurgeon, Torrey Krug, Ryan Ellis all come to mind.

As for Bahl -- needless to say at 6'7-240 he's known for his physicality and shut-down ability. Though he did not play with a particular "edge" in this tourney, his defensive abilities were quite well displayed. His size and mobility combined with very solid (though it still needs some work) positioning makes him a constant factor for the opposition to be concerned with in the defensive zone. Bahl rarely loses battles in the corners, along the boards, or in the crease. But again -- what impressed me about Bahl was not what I expected. He was actually very adept with the puck, and all throughout the tourney there were instances where he would make a move, accelerate and skate out of the zone with possession. His outlet passing was quite impressive, and he even made a few smart rushes in the offensive zone. I would say that Bahl's ceiling and closest comparable would be Colton Parayko -- a type of player the Devils have sorely needed for quite some time.

Great insight, thanks!!

Reactions: StevenToddIves

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I actually see a lot of Andy Greene in Ty Smith, but with a little bit more offensive talent (although I don't think he's going to be a dynamo by any stretch). Just a really smart and defensively sound player who reads the game extremely well and uses that ability to overcome the fact he's not necessarily the biggest or fastest guy on the ice.

Prime Andy Greene was a really solid player for us, if Ty can bring a lot of those same elements i'll be perfectly happy even if he tops out as a 30-40 point guy in the NHL.

Reactions: My3Sons

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I actually see a lot of Andy Greene in Ty Smith, but with a little bit more offensive talent (although I don't think he's going to be a dynamo by any stretch). Just a really smart and defensively sound player who reads the game extremely well and uses that ability to overcome the fact he's not necessarily the biggest or fastest guy on the ice.

Prime Andy Greene was a really solid player for us, if Ty can bring a lot of those same elements i'll be perfectly happy even if he tops out as a 30-40 point guy in the NHL.

Agree. Prime Greene was a superb defenseman, no problem at all if that's what Ty becomes.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Andy Greene in his prime was a very good skater though...we'll see if Smith gets there in that regard.

Smith is actually pretty fluid and has good edgework & agility (unlike our friend Will Butcher who is a very clunky skater in general), it's just his top-end speed that isn't all that impressive. I don't recall Greene being blisteringly fast in his prime, although he probably edges out Smith at current but he still has time to improve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad