Prospect Info: 2019-20 WJC Thread

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
USA doesn't have this as a good excuse because they still couldn't score but that penalty called against them that Finland scored on because of that Finland dive was a ridiculous joke. The officials are so soft in this tournament. That Canada hit which resulted in a 5 min major and a game misconduct was another joke since it was a perfectly clean hit.

Hope Canada wins the whole thing now cause of Smith and Bahl.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
When doesn’t team USA embarrass themselves internationally? At least I don’t feel obligated to root for them against Canada and our two kids now.
They had medal'd in how ever many WJC's in row.

The U-18's have been dominant.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It's not the score that is pathetic, it's how the team was playing and behaving when losing.
There were a couple bad sore loser moments, I agree but I can't fault their play as Finland is a difficult team to play against.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
They had medal'd in how ever many WJC's in row.

The U-18's have been dominant.

Quite simply, Team USA lost because of abominable coaching. The player deployment was just abominable. Trevor Zegras was the most electrifying player on the ice virtually every shift he played, but did not crack the 11-minute mark in a single game. Cole Caufield could be the best American-born pure goal scorer since Brett Hull, but played bottom 6 minutes all tournament and never got time on the PP1. Instead, USA coaching relied on Bobby Brink (who had a poor tournament) and Oliver Wahlstrom (who was mediocre). USA had maybe the best two-way F in the entire tourney in Alex Turcotte, but gave him limited minutes and instead repeatedly deployed Jack Drury (a solid but not especially talented checker) as the top defensive C and leaned on unremarkable yeomen like Pivonka and Ford on the PK.

On defense, it was just a horror show. Mattias Samuelsson was simply abominable all tournament long but was continually deployed as the Americans' top shut-down defensemen, despite his persistent woes both positionally and clearing the zone cleanly. This USA team should have been the best in the tournament, but the coaching just never gave them the best chance to win.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
From what I've seen of Ty Smith, he's going to be a good player, but I don't think he'll be the #1 we need. Think his skating will hold him back from being the true difference maker we want.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
russia just took a penalty on a delayed penalty...lol has that ever happened in the nhl? I feel like I've never seen that.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Wonder if Askarov's draft stock will drop, he's had a poor tournament and isn't even starting the gold medal game

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Should get an assist on that 3rd Russian goal, made a great play to skate down to the hash marks on a pinch and put the puck on net.

What have you thought of Smith and Bahl? I like how calm Smith is overall. I think Bahl could stand to use his size more than he does. Would have liked to see him bury the Russian in front on their 2nd goal

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Rough sequence for our prospects there. Misyul beaten on CAN go-ahead goal, then Bahl forced to take a penalty while defending the lead with him and Smith on the ice.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Bummer that Canada is gonna win as they were not the better team. Also, as kids, having the home ice advantage everywhere you go must be an enormous advantage.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I don’t know the IIHF rule book but it doesn’t look good to me that Canada wasn’t called for the delay of game. I hope someone can find the rule that states that camera prevents a delay of game penalty despite not changing that the puck was over the glass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad