2019/20 Roster Thread XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Its funny how the same guy who spouts "Never let facts get in the way of a good rant" also fails to recognize numerous complaints about so called "fan favorites" from many posters in the GDTs/PGTs this year, only to continue saying (falsely) "the hive never says bad things about fan favorites"

dishonesty

I would probably kill myself if I was a CEO of a company who hired that guy as a consultant, only to find out how many times he doesnt try to help me, but him and his image only.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Its funny how the same guy who spouts "Never let facts get in the way of a good rant" also fails to recognize numerous complaints about so called "fan favorites" from many posters in the GDTs/PGTs this year, only to continue saying (falsely) "the hive never says bad things about fan favorites"

dishonesty

Most of this board: “Ghost was horrible against the islanders”
Woke contrarians: “WHY WONT ANYONE EVER ADMIT WHEN GHOST SCREWS UP?!”

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Fanbases in all sports are largely the same and insane in both positive and negative directions, especially in the Northeast. You can include geographical specialties in this too -- Canadian NHL Teams, Texas HS Football, major P5 NCAAF programs, Tobacco Road NCAABB teams, the Cubs, the Cowboys, the Lakers, etc.

Basically anytime you have a year-round larger-scale appetite for the team, you've got crazies from every imaginable angle bombarding everyone else.

Pro Football in the northeast (Philadelphia, New York, Boston, etc.) & college football down southeast are probably the most rabid sports fans in NA.

They’re really no different than any other passionate fanbases other than they have large numbers of fans that outnumber most other sports/locations by a good margin.

But all you have to do for the Flyers & hockey is look at any forum/twitter & you’ll see there really isn’t a difference in complaints between all the teams. The only difference is we may have a considerably larger representation than probably half the league.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
A) What @Appleyard said

B) I could care what advanced stats you provide. There is no stat that measures confidence.

A major portion of the fanbase and media saw his potential and impact from day 1. Nobody expected a young player to provide Selke defense. He was providing points, spark and OT heriocs to a mediocre team.

Suddenly Hak decided to derail all for the sake of??? Nobody knows.

What came after was visibly one of the most disgusting treatments of a player i have witnessed in 30 years of watching hockey. TK looked on the verge of quitting.

Again, i coukd care what stats say. In this case, 2 eyes is all that's needed

The most disgusting thing for me was an Islanders away game where the team was wandering across that stupid rink to get to the locker room for intermission and TK was trying to discuss something with Hakstol, based on TK's hand motions it was related to a situation in the game. Hakstol ignored him and kept walking. Didn't even say a thing. Couldn't be bothered to say "we'll talk about this later." Just steadfastly labored to pretend TK didn't exist.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
The most disgusting thing for me was an Islanders away game where the team was wandering across that stupid rink to get to the locker room for intermission and TK was trying to discuss something with Hakstol, based on TK's hand motions it was related to a situation in the game. Hakstol ignored him and kept walking. Didn't even say a thing. Couldn't be bothered to say "we'll talk about this later." Just steadfastly labored to pretend TK didn't exist.

Wow. I missed that, but i have no doubt it was exactly like you described.

For me, it came in a game after all those demotions and scratches.
He had a breakaway where he shot from his usual spot and it got saved.
What should have followed was like last nights look to the sky in bewilderment, tons of f bombs and even a smashed stick. So basically the common responses of a missed opportunity

But not that time. He skated to the bench, peeked up at Hak, and sat down with an honest look of fear and guilt. Like he messed up yet again, and punishment to follow.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas

Dave Isaac had a story on Lindblom last week where he said he had no idea why he got benched last year. No reasoning, no instructions on what to work on, he just sat him.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Dave Isaac had a story on Lindblom last week where he said he had no idea why he got benched last year. No reasoning, no instructions on what to work on, he just sat him.

I mean, when you think the game at Hak's level, its gotta be hard to coach. No one could ever possibly understand your strategy.

It's a lot like that "smartest man in the room" thing some people do around here.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Yeah, but the other alternatives weren't any better, rookie Patrick, Weal, etc.
TK without Couts or Filppula: CF 45.57%, xGF 43.41%, SCF% 43.11, HDCF% 43.90%
Lindblom
w/ Couts CF 50.75% xGF 52.95%, SCF 54.4%, HDCF% 57.89%
w/o Couts CF 52.25% xGF 54.99% SCF 53.95%, HDCF% 56.94%

TK was a good fit with Couts but a bad fit with every other center, not just Filppula.
Couts elevates the play of almost every forward who plays with him.

Lindblom really is special, his level of play was almost completely independent of his center.

I mean, all but one of the other centres he played with (Patrick)... was a bad centre, and with Patrick most of that time both years was early in the season when Patrick struggles.

Only having 1x top 6 centre was the Flyers biggest problem over that timespan. Patrick was 2nd best and played at ~above average 3C level.

And TK elevated the play of Couts as well. ;)

And Lindblom is a great two way winger. He was since the second he stepped into the NHL... but he also benefited from only 47 TOTAL minutes with Filppula/Lehtera. In those 47 minutes he was at ~49% corsi. He was also at 48% with Laughton vs TKs 46%. Better, yes, and would have been regardless... but he had less time to be dragged down. (and played mainly Lindblom-Patrick-Voracek... a line that was a fantastic fit.)

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Schenn, Laughton, Cousins...

Dave Hakstol himself

all had similar comments/inferences on his communication skills.

I mean, Hakstol HIMSELF said in summer 2018 that his biggest issue was communicating with younger players and he needed to improve.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
EIY1SZDWwAEXqtT

I really, really hope this becomes publicly available somewhere. If you're having trouble reading it, what it's essentially saying is that the Flyers were middle of the road in leveraging Controlled Entries and one of the least beneficial teams to carry in against.

I'm going to guess this is 2018-19 data and the second half is in large part because they were inept at creating Exits off of dump-ins.

You know that there is nothing I love more than advanced stats, but when chiropractors start chipping in with their graphs, I have to tap out.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Lindblom had 9 ES points in his first 16 games.
But from 11/10 to 11/24, he had 1 assist in 7 games.
Next 19 games, with reduced usage, he had 2 assists.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
But there aren't many fanbases that are this obsessed with finding a whipping boy. Hagg is barely off the team and we're already on to the next.
Braun is a perfectly fine bottom 4 defenseman.

This is your classic "Everything management does is great, but everything in my imagination that this board does is terrible" post.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
. (and played mainly Lindblom-Patrick-Voracek... a line that was a fantastic fit.)

But why was it a fantastic fit? Lindblom.

Lindblom was squeezing the stick (blowing scoring opportunities) at the wrong time, when JVR came back.
So he was the obvious candidate to be demoted as they tried to figure out where JVR fit.
Then it snowballed, and Gordon actually played Lindblom less in December than Hakstol, as he couldn't figure out where to fit him in.
It took 3 weeks for Gordon to give Lindblom regular PT, and he had coached him in LHV.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Lindblom had 9 ES points in his first 16 games.
But from 11/10 to 11/24, he had 1 assist in 7 games.
Next 19 games, with reduced usage, he had 2 assists.

He was relegated to a 4th line role vs Jersey on the 15th.

A game after his last point. He had 8 in his last 7 at that point.

Over the next 5 games he played 11:30 a night, 4/5 games on the 4th lone.

Then played 5 minutes (and got an assist...) and was then a 4th liner/scratched with sub-NHL level players until after Hakstol was fired.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
But why was it a fantastic fit? Lindblom.

Lindblom was squeezing the stick (blowing scoring opportunities) at the wrong time, when JVR came back.
So he was the obvious candidate to be demoted as they tried to figure out where JVR fit.
Then it snowballed, and Gordon actually played Lindblom less in December than Hakstol, as he couldn't figure out where to fit him in.
It took 3 weeks for Gordon to give Lindblom regular PT, and he had coached him in LHV.

Weise was promoted over him... after he had 8pts in his last 7 games...

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
He was relegated to a 4th line role vs Jersey on the 15th.

A game after his last point. He had 8 in his last 7 at that point.

Over the next 5 games he played 11:30 a night, 4/5 games on the 4th lone.

Then played 5 minutes (and got an assist...) and was then a 4th liner/scratched with sub-NHL level players until after Hakstol was fired.

The way you describe it with those stone-cold facts almost makes it seem like a total idiot was in charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad