2019-20 Roster Thread XVI: The season is a marathon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Frost and Farabee and any other rookie who is starting their pro career in 19-20 won't have to be protected in the 2021 expansion draft.
Ooh, interesting. So the considerations for their making the team will be purely based on what's best for the team and their development.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Anyone else confused by the “bring me Laine” crowd on twitter? It has a whiff of: “I only look at his boxscore stats and ignore all of his deficiencies.”

- compete level
- back-checking
- focus in defensive coverage
- doesn’t win as many 50/50 battles as he should

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Anyone else confused by the “bring me Laine” crowd on twitter? It has a whiff of: “I only look at his boxscore stats and ignore all of his deficiencies.”

- compete level
- back-checking

But imagine our Fortnite dominance.

Any deal with us acquiring Laine would have to see us sending Voracek back. We cant afford it otherwise.

Hell, we probably cant even afford it if we do.

Reactions: Ted Brown

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
2C. Patrick is going to be better than Frost and Hayes. Big, fast, talented, defensively excellent. Couts 2.0.
I am optimistic for him as well. He has a lot of tools. Just needs to put a few things together and he will be good. He strikes me a as guy who takes it slow as opposed to a guy that you are always waiting for them to put the parts together. I hope he starts this season faster with more confidence so he takes it to the net more a shoots more

Reactions: Larry44

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

- compete level
- back-checking

There was a time that Ovie was criticized for his effort on defense too. Laine might improve in those areas as he matures. Then again he might not.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Werenski a 3x5 on a bridge to his "Trouba contract" is reasonable, that seems to be the going rate for the top RFAs.

Reactions: Larry44

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I am optimistic for him as well. He has a lot of tools. Just needs to put a few things together and he will be good. He strikes me a as guy who takes it slow as opposed to a guy that you are always waiting for them to put the parts together. I hope he starts this season faster with more confidence so he takes it to the net more a shoots more
All Nolan needs is not to get a concussion in October, like he has his first two seasons. If he can play a healthy season, knock wood, he is going to break out the way Couts did.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Werenski a 3x5 on a bridge to his "Trouba contract" is reasonable, that seems to be the going rate for the top RFAs.
Just wanted to post this to get around the restriction on using the 'd' word! ;)
Hopefully the floodgates will open....

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
All Nolan needs is not to get a concussion in October, like he has his first two seasons. If he can play a healthy season, knock wood, he is going to break out the way Couts did.

It was never confirmed that he suffered a concussion in October 2018. The fact the team immediately gave him a 7-10 day timeline for returning would suggest it could have been another type of UBI, e.g. to his shoulder.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelp...d-line-center-out-7-10-days-upper-body-injury

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

- compete level
- back-checking

**In General**

I do think there is a place for Laine types in the NHL, and even on this team. Yes, you prefer players to possess hustle and competent two-way play, and a high compete level. However, the ultimate goal is to outscore the opponent, and 30-40 goal scorers don't grow on trees. There are legitimate circumstances (linemates, deployment etc) where Laine's deficiencies are minimized and his skills are maximized.

Specifically to Laine -- the cost to acquire him is likely to be too high to make sense based solely on the name and not performance.

Last edited:

TB87

May 30, 2018
There was a time that Ovie was criticized for his effort on defense too. Laine might improve in those areas as he matures. Then again he might not.

At the same age:
Ovi was a better skater
Ovi’s compete level was far more consistent
Ovi won way more battles
Ovi transitioned cleanly on the regular
Ovi was a better passer
Ovi bulldozed his way to the slot on the regular

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
At the same age:
Ovi was a better skater
Ovi’s compete level was far more consistent
Ovi won way more battles
Ovi transitioned cleanly on the regular
Ovi was a better passer
Ovi bulldozed his way to the slot on the regular

All true. It's definitely not a 1-for-1 comparison.

TB87

May 30, 2018
**In General**

I do think there is a place for Laine types in the NHL, and even on this team. Yes, you prefer players to possess hustle and competent two-way play, and a high compete level. However, the ultimate goal is to outscore the opponent, and 30-40 goal scorers don't grow on trees. There are legitimate circumstances (linemates, deployment etc) where Laine's deficiencies are minimized and his skills are maximized.

Specifically to Laine -- the cost to acquire him is likely to be too high to make sense based solely on the name and not performance.

The cost of acquiring him (& signing him) should be a non-starter for the Flyers.

Reactions: VladDrag

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I didn't, because he's barely even in the frame when they show the hit from Stone 34 seconds into the clip on that linked article. But it was his shoulder that went into the glass.

You must be thinking of the previous year's hit which was against Anaheim.

Last edited:

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I think Couts was revved up playing D while still developing on that DL. Then he got a better role and went off. I think Patrick just has to continue upwards. I’m thinking 45-55 pts. Anything above that this year is outstanding.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I think Couts was revved up playing D while still developing on that DL. Then he got a better role and went off. I think Patrick just has to continue upwards. I’m thinking 45-55 pts. Anything above that this year is outstanding.
If they get 75-80 points from Couturier, 55-60 from Hayes and 45-50 from Patrick, I’ll be very happy.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I will take 40-45 points from Patrick. Needs to show a ton more consistency on the ice. He needs to trust his instincts and talent. This is a big year for him. If he shows more of the same inconsistencies this season then he could be moved out of town.
Show us why the Flyers took you 2 OV kid

Reactions: Beef Invictus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad