2019-20 Roster Thread XV: The thread with no name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
While keeping in mind I only care about draft picks:

I accept the luxury of the Hayes signing. At least in the first several seasons.

I accept the risk/reward of the Niskanen trade. But I recognize the risk.

I don't accept the Braun trade in value or projected performance or consequential RFA dealings.​

That's where I am mostly. Except toss in some gibberish about NMCs for the Hayes line.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
That's a crazy, huge risk.

Not really, he'd have to fall off a cliff to not be movable if it came to that. And the risk was nothing - he wasn't traded for much. The cap is going to go up. We already bridged Sanheim anyway. As it stands, we're going to lose a player projecting to have a sizable caphit in the ED, even more so now that Hayes has a f***ing NMC and takes up a slot.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I'm not going to fool myself into thinking that guys like Hayes/Niskanen/Braun are going to make us a meaningfully more competitive hockey team.
I don't expect their individual contributions to elevate us (Hayes isn't getting 90)...but rather their effects to the roster overall. If they allow others to grow, fit in, take pressure off of...ect...they will be outstanding moves.

Firing Hak and getting AV is a bigger move than any change we did roster wise.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I don't see how that 3rd year on Subban's contract could have fit here.
That's where you get creative. Expose him for the entry draft is the first option, moving him in another trade was the second, keeping him on the team was the third, buying him out was the fourth.

Ideally, between the name recognition, and the fat contract to reach the floor, Subban would've been prime Seattle bait. Toss in a desirable, yet not consequential, party-favor to boot.

Edit: There should be an RSS option or something, don't hit refresh fast enough, get slow played ninja'd all day long.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
While keeping in mind I only care about draft picks:

I accept the luxury of the Hayes signing. At least in the first several seasons.

I accept the risk/reward of the Niskanen trade. But I recognize the risk.

I don't accept the Braun trade in value or projected performance or consequential RFA dealings.​
How can you say you care about draft picks when you don't even mock-fantasy-draft bro?

Lame lying louse.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
That's where I am mostly. Except toss in some gibberish about NMCs for the Hayes line.

I reject your gibberish about NMCs and will toss in some gibberish about NPCs instead.

CreamyTiredFinwhale-size_restricted.gif

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
you just can't rush it thats the problem.

NHL used to be more like MLB. Top 8 teams just buy whatever they want to fill in gaps. A team like Kansas City has to spend 6 years hoping their prospects develop...win in their window, and blow it up again and start over.

With the current CBA...the NHL is like that for everyone. Continue to draft and devlop well (mix in some trades) and you stay on top.

Our defense is just starting to emerge from the develop stage.
You're right, of course. It takes time. But I think if Hextall had made the moves last year Fletcher did this summer (new coaching staff, couple new players, etc.), we wouldn't have wasted an entire season. The team would be one step closer to contending.

The window to win with Giroux as a true impact player is still open. But it won't be open forever and that's why last season was so frustrating.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
You're right, of course. It takes time. But I think if Hextall had made the moves last year Fletcher did this summer (new coaching staff, couple new players, etc.), we wouldn't have wasted an entire season. The team would be one step closer to contending.

The window to win with Giroux as a true impact player is still open. But it won't be open forever and that's why last season was so frustrating.
no disagreement with disappointment with Hextalls timeline and lack of push for today..Part of the reason he got fired is that management agrees.

But, I was fine building from within...and the expectation of 2022 critical mass timeline for the time it would take.

I don't think Fletcher has really altered that timeline much...we are still depending on Sanheim /Myers/Provy/Hart to take consistentcy steps forward to achieve that goal. We won't get there without that.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Yeah, I'm over here advocating for even more aggressive moves with potentially higher risk but much higher rewards. I'm not living in fear. But if I'm going to go for it, then dammit I'm going to go for it. I'm not going to fool myself into thinking that guys like Hayes/Niskanen/Braun are going to make us a meaningfully more competitive hockey team.
The problem is that those huge Seguin-type moves you want probably aren’t available. How often do you see trades of elite players? Very rarely. And if one happens, you’re competing against the offers of 30 other teams.

So more likely than not, you’re going to end up with zilch.

So do you hold out & hope for the unicorn? Or, do you pounce on an actual existing opportunity to land a legitimate 2C — one of only two on the open market?

Personally, I say you take the sure thing. I think game theory would back me up on this.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

As much as I soured on Hextall, I will say he did try to sign Stastny last year.

But that goes to a point I make all of the time: You can’t always get what you want. It’s damn hard to acquire impact players at important positions, & when they become available the competition is fierce. That’s why I fully agree with Fletcher’s decision to go all-out for Hayes. 2C is too crucial a position, & finding one is so incredibly difficult. You get a chance, you have to pounce. God only knows when you’ll get another. You probably won’t be GM by then.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
Yeah, I'm over here advocating for even more aggressive moves with potentially higher risk but much higher rewards. I'm not living in fear. But if I'm going to go for it, then dammit I'm going to go for it. I'm not going to fool myself into thinking that guys like Hayes/Niskanen/Braun are going to make us a meaningfully more competitive hockey team.
since you dont think those 3 will help the team be more competitive, what is your definition of a more competitive?

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
since you dont think those 3 will help the team be more competitive, what is your definition of a more competitive?

MEANINGFULLY more competitive. I could give a f*** about winning a playoff round. If it doesn't help the team become a legitimate contender for the holy grail, then why the f*** are we doing it?

Reactions: Starat327

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
MEANINGFULLY more competitive. I could give a **** about winning a playoff round. If it doesn't help the team become a legitimate contender for the holy grail, then why the **** are we doing it?
You don't like giving up assets for declining "mentors"? :sarcasm:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think #41, and some short-term cap room will cripple the Flyer's future.
I do think if you are going to add veteran patches, Niskanen & Braun >> Gudas & MacDonald.

Couts 27 and Hayes 27 gives you a center core that is in their prime years.
Niskanen, Braun, Ghost and six defensemen under 25.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
A TK bridge deal before camp, or go to war and stretch as far to Dec 1st as it takes for a long term deal, if you only have those 2 choices, which do you choose ?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
A TK bridge deal before camp, or go to war and stretch as far to Dec 1st as it takes for a long term deal, if you only have those 2 choices, which do you choose ?

I've never had a problem with a bridge deal for TK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad