2019-20 Roster Speculation Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I agree with you on the top 5 for D but Nelson stays as #7. There is only one spot available on RD until Montour returns in RD.

Withforwards..I am unsure.

The two wildcards are Couzens and the Ruu. It’s NHL or back to former leagues.

Who is certain on the team

Locks (7) Eichel , Skinner, Reinhart, Vesey, Mojo, Olofsson , Erod
Should. Mitts, Larsson. Girgs
Stuck with KO, Sobotka
Bubble Smith, Lazar , cozens, Ruu
Sent down Wilson , TNT, Asplund, Dea

Smith won’t clear waivers.

They could sent Mitts down to give Cozens some games.

Missing Sheary. As much as he isn't liked Sheary and Vesey are locks for the top 9. I actually am high on both of them for this season...both in contract years, both are pretty consistent in terms of what they are (Vesey scoring 16 or 17 goals in all 3 of his seasons and Sheary being a ~.5 ppg player)

We want guys like Sheary and Vesey in the middle 6. After playing guys like Pouliot and Josefson in the top 9, having 2 guys who will almost surely hit 15 goals is a nice thing to have as your 7th,8th best forward.

Eichel, Reinhart and Skinner should be 60+ point players.MoJo should be at 45-50 points. VO I think will be a 20-20 rookie with a chance at 25-30 goals. Sheary and Vesey 15-20 goals and 40-45 points. Mitts 35-45 points. ERod at 30-35 points. Those are my 9 top forwards. Then we have guys like Okposo,Girgs,Larry, Sobotka, Smith etc. Okposo could be a surprise getting 15 goals playing 4th line minutes and possibly some PP2 time. Larry, Girgs and Sobotka would be lucky to hit 20 goals combined.

I am excited for the season. This offense has 3 gpg potential.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Has Asplund made it impossible for Botts to send him down? I don’t think so. Olofsson? Absolutely. Joker? Think so. If the team was being chosen based purely on preseason showing:
Skinner-Eichel-Rodrigues
Johansson-Reinhart-Olofsson
Cozens-Mittelstadt-Tage
Vesey-Larsson-Lazar/Smith

More likely: Girgs, Sheary and Okposo swap in for Lazar, Cozens, Smith and Olofsson with Cozens getting 9 games.

Skinner-Eichel-Rodrigues
Vesey-Mittelstadt-Reinhart
Sheary-Johansson-Tage
Girgs-Larson-Okposo
Yuck

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Has Asplund made it impossible for Botts to send him down? I don’t think so. Olofsson? Absolutely. Joker? Think so. If the team was being chosen based purely on preseason showing:
Skinner-Eichel-Rodrigues
Johansson-Reinhart-Olofsson
Cozens-Mittelstadt-Tage
Vesey-Larsson-Lazar/Smith

More likely: Girgs, Sheary and Okposo swap in for Lazar, Cozens, Smith and Olofsson with Cozens getting 9 games.

Skinner-Eichel-Rodrigues
Vesey-Mittelstadt-Reinhart
Sheary-Johansson-Tage
Girgs-Larson-Okposo
Yuck
I would be stunned if Oloffson isn't on opening roster.My big worry is Sobotka, Okposo followed by Sheary then Girgs over Lazar, Smith and Asplund

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I wouldn't mind taking a preseason look at Johansson between Reinhart and Olofsson. That GWG did not require Eichel being the player to force the turnover. I could see Johansson playing that role.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I wouldn't mind seeing him there. I was mostly talking about the people calling for him to replace Girgensons.
Girgensons is bad.
You know, I knew one day I’d disagree with you about something, and here it is.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
I'm surprised C.J. and Arttu are gone before guys like Elie and Dea.

I really thought C.J. would earn his place this camp especially considering the waiver factor. But even as a fan of his, I must admit he didn't do nearly enough in the 3 games he got.

And maybe they thought this is the best time to waive him with the best chance to clear.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
The """""shiny""""" new toy syndrome is strong with Lazar...
Yeah, guys like him pop up all the team during preseason. That being said, if he earns a spot out of camp he should get a trial in the big leagues.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Cozens still here... interesting
They have time with him - 9 regular season games in fact and why not keep him around as it costs them nothing from a roster spot perspective. This cut was to get the Amerks team going as they have games this week.

Smith is a surprise. That guy can't buy a break in this org. Any team paying attention to him the last year or two may put in a waiver claim. I would say he's probably going to get claimed.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I'm surprised C.J. and Arttu are gone before guys like Elie and Dea.

I really thought C.J. would earn his place this camp especially considering the waiver factor. But even as a fan of his, I must admit he didn't do nearly enough in the 3 games he got.

And maybe they thought this is the best time to waive him with the best chance to clear.
Artu is not making the team. They can't offer him the ice time that his Finnish team can. AHL not being an option - go home and light up that league.

I liked what he showed. Did he beat out the center depth still on the roster? No.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
CJ Smith is simply not an NHL player. Or he hasn't shown it while in the NHL. He's a typical AHL all-star. At least a guy like Lazar keeps guys looking over their shoulders when going for pucks. Smith is both ineffective and easy to play against at the NHL level.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
CJ Smith is simply not an NHL player. Or he hasn't shown it while in the NHL. He's a typical AHL all-star. At least a guy like Lazar keeps guys looking over their shoulders when going for pucks. Smith is both ineffective and easy to play against at the NHL level.
Personally, I don't have any beef with keeping Lazar over Smith on the roster for now. That said, I thought Smith probably could have gotten a longer look, though honestly, he did nothing in the preseason to warrant that, so it's based on his play last season. The coaching staff must see something else there they were unhappy with. Maybe he didn't come to camp in top shape or something. In any event, that's a pretty significant move and he could get claimed by a team that needs a body at camp still and may themselves try and sneak him through waivers in a few weeks.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON

I agree. I never quite get the hype around here for CJ Smith. Great AHLer but I don’t think he’s much more than that.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
The thing I noticed about Smith is his tendency to not stay between the puck and his net on the forecheck. He would anticipate a defender moving in one direction and take angles that allowed the defender to reverse and have a clean out with no board battle. I saw it consistently. By comparison Lazar would stay between the puck and his net forcing the defender to pass towards his own end, beat him towards his own net with speed or turn it back into traffic. Small detail, but the kind the new staff is looking for. Asplund is similar in his defensive position in the ozone in that he keeps himself between the puck and his net.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

When watching him in the AHL and NHL, I get the same vibes that I had with both TJ Brennan & Paul Byron, and they each went different directions, so I have no idea where CJ ends up. I still think he can be an effective middle six player in the league, but I certainly wouldn't bet on it.

His playing style reminds me a bit of Dixon Ward, for that reason alone I really want him to succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad