2019-20 Roster Speculation Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
CONTINUED FROM 2019-20 Roster Speculation Part 6.

3rd rounders have value? Not really, not in this organization. I went through this the other night glad it is brought up. So a random general 3rd round pick is more valuable then a mid 20s middle 6 forward who has scored 50 goals the past 3 seasons? Definitely not.

Do people know the history of 3rd round picks in this franchise?

# of Buffalo Sabre 3rd round picks who ended up playing 80+ games in Buffalo.

Going in reverse chronological order.

2004 Andrej Sekera
2003 Clarke MacArthur
1997 Max Afinogenov
1986 Bob Corkum
1984 Ray Sheppard
1980 Sean McKenna
1979 Jacques Cloutier
1975 Terry Martin
1975 Gary McAdam
1971 Bill Hajt

So in virtually 50 years of drafting, the Sabres have literally drafted 10 players in franchise history in the 3rd round who ever played a full seasons worth of games. You can add Brayden McNabb in that group, he didn't play 80 games with us but he did become a legit top 4 dman and was drafted in the 3rd. But still, in the entire Sabres history we literally are averaging a "hit" in the 3rd once every 5 years. We haven't hit on a 3rd rounder in literally a decade (McNabb), and haven't hit on an actual long term 80+ game contributor in the 3rd in FIFTEEN YEARS (Sekera). 80+ games as counting as a hit is also an extremely low bar. We aren't using 80 goals or even 80 points as a barometer of success drafting in the 3rd but 80 GAMES.

I am sorry, if you think 3rd round picks are worth much at all in the NHL I am going to disappoint you. 3rd round picks in the NHL are not worth much. Trading quality players for 3rd round picks is how you trade long term high end contributors for scraps (See Lydman; Toni). You take a 3rd round pick when you must move a quality player who has a contract you just can't afford anymore like a Vesey or Sheary. But like I said, if given the chance you trade every 3rd round pick you have if you are getting even a Vesey or Sheary level player in return. They are legit middle 6 forwards capable of 15-20 goals and 40-45 points. 3rd round picks for this franchise usually amount to NOTHING. We literally have a 1 in 5 year success rate of drafting a 3rd round player who ends up playing just 1 full seasons worth of games. That is awful.

And comparing 3rd round picks in the NFL is totally incompatible with this debate. 3rd round picks in the NFL are generally seen as starters or at minimum immediate high end backups or rotational players. When you draft a 3rd round player in the NFL that player is expected at the very least to contribute right away if not become a starter by year 2 if not sooner. In the NHL, 3rd round picks are literally trade sweeteners, a shot and a prayer type draft picks and the most common return in the offseason and TDL for legit full time NHL players. That is it. There is no unbiased argument to be made saying that 3rd round picks are worth more then a player with 50 goals the past 3 years. Hell, the only players who have scored 50+ goals the past 3 years here are Eichel, Reinhart,...and soon to be Skinner. That is it. Okposo has 48 goals for us the past 3 years. Kane had 48 goals for us in just less then 2 seasons (still in that 2016-2019 time frame).

So yeah, it would be nice if people could recognize and just admit that the scarcity of players on this team capable of scoring 50 goals the last 3 years for us. Or the fact that getting said players for 3rd roumd picks is something you do every single time.

remember whehn you go back in time---3rd round picks were in the 50s--this mid 2nds today.

If you look at 3rd round picks from 2007-2012 you have on average around 5-6 NHL players beyond 200 games.

of those, not may I would consider star/.irreplaceable players. Some of them are good players but not spectacular and could they be easily replaced by a 22 yr old who was cheaper (likely yes).

i dont have a big issue in trading a 3rd. many on here think 3rd rounders will, be stars in the league. that just isnt true. 75% amount to nothing other than a call up. 20% are avg joe NHL players, under 5^ become ewally good players that is for 3rd round or later for skaters.

Last edited by a moderator:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
remember whehn you go back in time---3rd round picks were in the 50s--this mid 2nds today.

If you look at 3rd round picks from 2007-2012 you have on average around 5-6 NHL players beyond 200 games.

of those, not may I would consider star/.irreplaceable players. Some of them are good players but not spectacular and could they be easily replaced by a 22 yr old who was cheaper (likely yes).

i dont have a big issue in trading a 3rd. many on here think 3rd rounders will, be stars in the league. that just isnt true. 75% amount to nothing other than a call up. 20% are avg joe NHL players, under 5^ become ewally good players that is for 3rd round or later for skaters.

Good call, was not even thinking of that aspect. Now that makes our 3rd round success rate even lower. 2 of the 10 "hits" were both from the 1975 draft and they were the 44th and 53rd selections. Now a days that is a mid 2nd and a late 2nd. So that actually strengthens the argument even more that 3rd round picks should be used to acquire established NHL players.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
"Established" =/= "Good"

You should not trade a pick to acquire a net negative player - i.e., a player who will do more harm than good to your team - simply because he is "established" in the league.

Reactions: sabremike

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
"Established" =/= "Good"

You should not trade a pick to acquire a net negative player - i.e., a player who will do more harm than good to your team - simply because he is "established" in the league.
Probably why no one has traded for Ristolainen, let alone given up value for him.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
I truly feel like Asplund is being given quite a look to make the team this year. Consistently having him with both Olofsson and Johansson is telling in my opinion. I hope he makes it, as he's likely already a better center than Casey.

Reactions: kummelweck

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
3rd rounders have value? Not really, not in this organization. I went through this the other night glad it is brought up. So a random general 3rd round pick is more valuable then a mid 20s middle 6 forward who has scored 50 goals the past 3 seasons? Definitely not.

Do people know the history of 3rd round picks in this franchise?

# of Buffalo Sabre 3rd round picks who ended up playing 80+ games in Buffalo.

Going in reverse chronological order.

2004 Andrej Sekera
2003 Clarke MacArthur
1997 Max Afinogenov
1986 Bob Corkum
1984 Ray Sheppard
1980 Sean McKenna
1979 Jacques Cloutier
1975 Terry Martin
1975 Gary McAdam
1971 Bill Hajt

So in virtually 50 years of drafting, the Sabres have literally drafted 10 players in franchise history in the 3rd round who ever played a full seasons worth of games. You can add Brayden McNabb in that group, he didn't play 80 games with us but he did become a legit top 4 dman and was drafted in the 3rd. But still, in the entire Sabres history we literally are averaging a "hit" in the 3rd once every 5 years. We haven't hit on a 3rd rounder in literally a decade (McNabb), and haven't hit on an actual long term 80+ game contributor in the 3rd in FIFTEEN YEARS (Sekera). 80+ games as counting as a hit is also an extremely low bar. We aren't using 80 goals or even 80 points as a barometer of success drafting in the 3rd but 80 GAMES.

I am sorry, if you think 3rd round picks are worth much at all in the NHL I am going to disappoint you. 3rd round picks in the NHL are not worth much. Trading quality players for 3rd round picks is how you trade long term high end contributors for scraps (See Lydman; Toni). You take a 3rd round pick when you must move a quality player who has a contract you just can't afford anymore like a Vesey or Sheary. But like I said, if given the chance you trade every 3rd round pick you have if you are getting even a Vesey or Sheary level player in return. They are legit middle 6 forwards capable of 15-20 goals and 40-45 points. 3rd round picks for this franchise usually amount to NOTHING. We literally have a 1 in 5 year success rate of drafting a 3rd round player who ends up playing just 1 full seasons worth of games. That is awful.

And comparing 3rd round picks in the NFL is totally incompatible with this debate. 3rd round picks in the NFL are generally seen as starters or at minimum immediate high end backups or rotational players. When you draft a 3rd round player in the NFL that player is expected at the very least to contribute right away if not become a starter by year 2 if not sooner. In the NHL, 3rd round picks are literally trade sweeteners, a shot and a prayer type draft picks and the most common return in the offseason and TDL for legit full time NHL players. That is it. There is no unbiased argument to be made saying that 3rd round picks are worth more then a player with 50 goals the past 3 years. Hell, the only players who have scored 50+ goals the past 3 years here are Eichel, Reinhart,...and soon to be Skinner. That is it. Okposo has 48 goals for us the past 3 years. Kane had 48 goals for us in just less then 2 seasons (still in that 2016-2019 time frame).

So yeah, it would be nice if people could recognize and just admit that the scarcity of players on this team capable of scoring 50 goals the last 3 years for us. Or the fact that getting said players for 3rd roumd picks is something you do every single time.

3rd rounders are assets. One of our more recent ones netted us a really good D prospect in Laaksonen. Or it could've been used in a trade for a player who actually adds something to the team. The gripe isn't that a 3rd rounder is really valuable, it's that it was an asset completely wasted on a crummy hockey player in Vesey. He's just more of the same replacement-level-or-worse filler the team needs to get rid of.

Reactions: sabremike and DJN21

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
An Example of using a 3rd round pick wisely:
Jeff Skinner trade

An Example of using a 3rd round pick badly:
Using it in a 1 for 1 trade to bring in a player that can't be counted on consistent scoring; while bringing nothing else to the team, a team that already has a collection of inconsistent limited skillset players.

Reactions: brian_griffin

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I didn't want Vesey but his value is fine for a 3rd round pick. My problem is I think CJ Smith can put up the same numbers as Vesey and is already in house having to battle for a chance so the asset management wasn't wise to me. Is what it is can never have enough depth...

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I didn't want Vesey but his value is fine for a 3rd round pick. My problem is I think CJ Smith can put up the same numbers as Vesey and is already in house having to battle for a chance so the asset management wasn't wise to me. Is what it is can never have enough depth...

this is one of the points I was saying above...

replacement value of a player.

I doing think Vesey brings anything special. With him playing left side this creates competition between Vesey, Sheary, and Smith for 3rd line.

You think first 2 lines are Skinner, and Olofsson.

Id rather trade a 3rd for a player that may have been a short term gap filler till you had youth develop.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Additionally, by lacking their own 2020 and 2021 3rd rounders, doesn’t that limit their ability for certain tiers of offer sheets? Or does that apply only to the 1st round picks required for the highest tier offers?

Reactions: sabremike

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
The second Vesey for a 3rd trade is an interesting moment in time to suddenly start worrying about value. It's not a trade I would have made, but for a 4th I think I'm pulling the trigger.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Additionally, by lacking their own 2020 and 2021 3rd rounders, doesn’t that limit their ability for certain tiers of offer sheets? Or does that apply only to the 1st round picks required for the highest tier offers?

While highly unlikely, it does limit that option.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
The second Vesey for a 3rd trade is an interesting moment in time to suddenly start worrying about value. It's not a trade I would have made, but for a 4th I think I'm pulling the trigger.

I wished the front office was worrying about draft pick value in 2015, not a few years later when there are holes all through the FW ranks. I don't like Vesey either, but it's hard to complain very much when there are only two legit top-six wingers on the roster, and a mediocre to bad bottom six FW group. It's not like Botterill went all-in on Vesey and re-signed him long-term. With a bunch of guys with one year left under contract, it's pretty clear that Botterill wants to leave his options open for 2020 and see if anyone really wants to produce and stick around as a veteran FW. If not, they are going to serve their duty this season as vet filler while prospects like Smith, Olofsson, Thompson, and Asplund continue to develop in Rochester or with an easier role in Buffalo.

Reactions: Dingo44

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

Skinner in the top forward group.
Zemgus and sobotka in the bottom forward group.
Montour and risto in bottom d group

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
If Vesey was here to replace Okposo or Sobotka because the GM was planning on sending them down, there would be more support for the trade, it would actually make sense.

If Vesey was here so that Tage Mitts can develop in the minors, that might make sense too. But that's not why he's here...it just adds another player who's gifted a spot over other players who might deserve it more, which continues to contribute to the culture problem -- there isn't really a merit based system on the Sabres, and it's hurt us for a while.

It certainly isn't the end of the world but I'd rather see the likes of Smith, Ogelvie, Asplund, Arttu on the team over Jimmy V at this point.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

Skinner in the top forward group.
Zemgus and sobotka in the bottom forward group.
Montour and risto in bottom d group

Way too much team impact in these models. If Miller and Montour both stay in the top/bottom of the pack, respectively, after joining the sabres, maybe I'll start putting more value in these numbers...but they won't.

Reactions: jc17 and kummelweck

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
lol offer sheets, good one.
With neither the NHL nor the NHLPA opting out early of the CBA, thereby removing the potential for an earlier re-negotiation, which would likely have entailed a special buyout provision, I expect there will be more teams up against the cap who may be challenged to match offer sheets. Several on this board spent time this offseason identifying low-tier and mid-tier cost players who might be constrained by their current teams. Next offseason, I expect similar scrutiny, as I believe Sabres will continue to have 3-5 roster players per season who would not make the rosters of playoff-caliber teams.

Sabres have about 10 roster slots open for next season and I don't expect all of them to be filled by players currently in the organization. If a Sabres offer sheet is ever going to happen, it would be in the next 2 offseasons.

You can't be in the contest if you're not eligible...

Reactions: OkimLom

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
If Vesey was here to replace Okposo or Sobotka because the GM was planning on sending them down, there would be more support for the trade, it would actually make sense.

If Vesey was here so that Tage Mitts can develop in the minors, that might make sense too. But that's not why he's here...it just adds another player who's gifted a spot over other players who might deserve it more, which continues to contribute to the culture problem -- there isn't really a merit based system on the Sabres, and it's hurt us for a while.

It certainly isn't the end of the world but I'd rather see the likes of Smith, Ogelvie, Asplund, Arttu on the team over Jimmy V at this point.
Eh it's probably better than telling a prospect, "go outplay Okposo."

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Exponentially:

OFFER SHEET CALCULATOR

• An offer sheet consists of 7 compensation tiers.
  • Compensation to the receiving club is made up entirely of draft picks.
  • The draft picks must available in the nearest entry draft, unless the compensation requires two or more draft picks in the same round: an extra year can be used to for compensation for these picks (if two 1st round picks are required, the club must have two 1st round picks available in the next three drafts)
  • Compensation is determined by the annual average (AAV) outlined in the offer made by submitting club.
  • The AAV for an offer sheet, which determines the compensation required, is derived by dividing the total contract value amount by the lesser of:
    • number of years offered, or
    • five (5) years
  • The AAV thresholds are readjusted each season, and is based on the average league salary for that season.
  • An offer sheet cannot be greater than 7 years in length.
  • See the Offer Sheet FAQ for additional information.

Results displayed are for the 2019 off-season.
The AAV compensation tiers are updated annually when released. The values currently displayed are the 2019 values.
ANNUAL AVERAGE (AAV) VALUECOMPENSATIONREQUIREMENTS METREQUIREMENTS NOT MET
$0 - $1,395,053No Compensation
buffalo_sabres.svg
$1,395,054 - $2,113,7161 Third Round Pick
buffalo_sabres.svg
$2,113,717 - $4,227,4371 Second Round Pick
buffalo_sabres.svg
$4,227,438 - $6,341,1521 First Round Pick
1 Third Round Pick
buffalo_sabres.svg
$6,341,153 - $8,454,8711 First Round Pick
1 Second Round Pick