2019-20 Roster Speculation Part 16: Not much left to speculate about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
A major problem last year was that Botterill got forward depth, just not the right forwards. I think if he can swing one more deal a la Kahun, then the team can actually roll more than 2 lines. Hopefully Girgensons and Larsson can be retained.

Also, you never know... Cozens could be ready for a top 6 role in the NHL.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Hire Hextall as GM, and Gillis as head of hockey operations. It's a terrible idea, but hey, it cannot be any worse. I originally thought about Brian Burke which would be humorous, but....eh.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Hire Hextall as GM, and Gillis as head of hockey operations. It's a terrible idea, but hey, it cannot be any worse. I originally thought about Brian Burke which would be humorous, but....eh.
I don’t think that Hextall is a terrible idea, this roster of Philly is mainly his merit, he is certainly not an ideal option, but at least an experienced GM.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Not even close.

Lawrence Pilut officially leaves Sabres, contract with KHL team announced

Pilut skips on Sabres by signing 2-year contract in Russia - ProHockeyTalk | NBC Sports

I don't believe anyone knows if his contract has an out clause or not. I've seen some posts on Twitter saying that the only way out is to buy his way out of the contract. And that is very unlikely to happen.

Buffalo Sabres stunned by Pilut's departure, thought KHL offer was negotiation tactic | TradeRumours.com

Talks about rumoured clause halfway down.. Where there's smoke.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Even if there was an out-clause, the guy will still need to use it. Being around this tire-fire of an organization, I’d be shocked if he came back unless he’s guaranteed top 4 minutes.

With all that said, the Sabres have said they want guys that want to be here. Seeing as they have pushed guys many times past that point and have traded them away, ironically why we are where we are today with Pilut, this message kills any potential of Pilut playing in a Sabres or Americans jersey again.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
It's nice that he had the courtesy of informing them in advance. I understand the business climate in the States is different but making threats is normally a big no-no when it comes to seedish negotiations. Mostly because it can put you in a bad spot. Threats still happen of course but why not at least give him a callback? Were both Sexton and Botts that busy?

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Reactions: TheMistyStranger

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Would we do something around Risto for Stepan & Raanta? We get older, but get one of the better defensively responsible 2C's available and a solid upgrade in goal. Arizona clears some cap space to resign Hall (seems to be a priority).

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
A major problem last year was that Botterill got forward depth, just not the right forwards. I think if he can swing one more deal a la Kahun, then the team can actually roll more than 2 lines. Hopefully Girgensons and Larsson can be retained.

Also, you never know... Cozens could be ready for a top 6 role in the NHL.

It wouldn't surprise me if Cozens could jump in and be an immediate contributor, based on the season he just had, but it still scares me that the front office seems to be relying on that happening.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
It wouldn't surprise me if Cozens could jump in and be an immediate contributor, based on the season he just had, but it still scares me that the front office seems to be relying on that happening.
There have been a number of guys with similar production in their draft+1 year that have not had great NHL careers, let alone making an impact the season immediately after. Cozens ability to produce at a higher rate than all his teammates is a good sign, but I think its far from an indication he'll be ready

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee

It surely wouldn't surprise me in the least. With the size, and the speed combined with another year to dominate in the WHL and winning gold medal for last year's team Canada, he's being developed properly. Oh wait, Pilut.

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
There have been a number of guys with similar production in their draft+1 year that have not had great NHL careers, let alone making an impact the season immediately after. Cozens ability to produce at a higher rate than all his teammates is a good sign, but I think its far from an indication he'll be ready
Mind listing the Comparable Seasons ?

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Mind listing the Comparable Seasons ?
upload_2020-6-14_12-34-38.png

Just going off points per game from pick224.com. I'm not saying thats the only/best way to evaluate guys, just that I've read a lot of people excited because he was leading or towards the top in WHL scoring.

People are entitled to feel good about him, but I think just going off his scoring is a mistake. Not saying Tsujimoto in particular is doing that.

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
View attachment 350052

Just going off points per game from pick224.com. I'm not saying thats the only/best way to evaluate guys, just that I've read a lot of people excited because he was leading or towards the top in WHL scoring.

People are entitled to feel good about him, but I think just going off his scoring is a mistake. Not saying Tsujimoto in particular is doing that.
Praying for Brayden schenn LoL

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Praying for Brayden schenn LoL
And there are really good players below whats shown on this list. So it isnt to say he wont good because most of the players shown arent great, just that his scoring alone doesnt put him in a special group or anything

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
And there are really good players below whats shown on this list. So it isnt to say he wont good because most of the players shown arent great, just that his scoring alone doesnt put him in a special group or anything
Completely agree ! My guess is if he plays next year he’ll have a reinhart rookie year, 40 + points

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I'm having visions of the Sabres coming out of the shutdown like the 2005-06 team that missed the playoffs the 3 previous seasons. Botterill will be hailed as a genius and praised for his unorthodox roster rebuilding. Krueger will be praised for instilling a winning culture. Kim Pegula will be praised for staying the course and not giving into the whims of the media and the fans. Terry, the billionaire, will escape from Gilligan's Island and say "we had it all planned that way".

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
I'm having visions of the Sabres coming out of the shutdown like the 2005-06 team that missed the playoffs the 3 previous seasons. Botterill will be hailed as a genius and praised for his unorthodox roster rebuilding. Krueger will be praised for instilling a winning culture. Kim Pegula will be praised for staying the course and not giving into the whims of the media and the fans. Terry, the billionaire, will escape from Gilligan's Island and say "we had it all planned that way".
Next season will be dahlins coming out party as a top defence men in the league, 60 points for him 95 for eichel 30 goals for skinner oloffson and reinhart, playoffs baby

Reactions: Dirty Dog

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Completely agree ! My guess is if he plays next year he’ll have a reinhart rookie year, 40 + points

I’d be beyond thrilled if he hit 20-30 points. Barring a huge addition of a Veteran 2nd Top 6 center, Cozens will have a much closer rookie campaign to Mittelstadt than to Reinhart IMO.

Now there’s a chance Cozens could be placed with Eichel which, would be the best option for Cozens career for development on the main roster in the beginning. But that’s with the assumption he starts as a RWer.

Reactions: lauraP

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
I’d be beyond thrilled if he hit 20-30 points. Barring a huge addition of a Veteran 2nd Top 6 center, Cozens will have a much closer rookie campaign to Mittelstadt than to Reinhart IMO.

Now there’s a chance Cozens could be placed with Eichel which, would be the best option for Cozens career for development on the main roster in the beginning. But that’s with the assumption he starts as a RWer.
That’s what I was thinking with what we got right now, He’ll probably be Pair with eichel in pre season see if he sticks for nine 9 games then try and break him in at 3c, I think as of right now that Botterill plans to use a mix of Kahun Mojo Larson cozens at centre for next year. But with what we got

Skinner-eichel-Cozens
Oloffson-Kahun-reinhart

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Next season will be dahlins coming out party as a top defence men in the league, 60 points for him 95 for eichel 30 goals for skinner oloffson and reinhart, playoffs baby
Thompson, Cozens, and Kahun could all end up being significant contributors too. I was joking, but they do have the talent to be a playoff team.

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
Thompson, Cozens, and Kahun could all end up being significant contributors too. I was joking, but they do have the talent to be a playoff team.
I get my information from an ancient oracle, it also tells me kahun break 50 points next year.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Hurt me knee, so I’m home watching kid appropriate tv. Just watched moneyball, and then realized that if Goliasano still owned the team, the Sabres would have been forced to deal with the skyrocketing salary cap by becoming completely analytics driven and would probably have been the type of team that drafts Alex Debrincat and Arthur Kaliyev and now I’m depressed and my knee still hurts.

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
Pilut is a group 2 RFA, correct? If that's the case, I don't understand why he would be signing a 2 year KHL deal without an NHL out clause if he believes that he's an NHL-caliber player.

If he believes that he's an NHL player and that the Sabres logjam is just holding him back unfairly, why not angle yourself for an offer sheet? Hell, even if he stays in Buffalo and they play him for less than 34 games next season, he'd become group 6 unrestricted if I'm understanding CapFriendly correctly.

It just doesn't make sense to me if he believes himself to be an NHL defenseman. The only argument that makes sense to me is if it is a negotiation tactic or a plan for a late start to the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad