Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Rutta has the ability to play hockey though which is something Witkowski lacks

tenor.gif

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Hear hear. Rutta has no place on our team man. Should've just kept Witkowski up. We can't just keep icing a team of softies. He added much needed grit at worst at was a-do-no-harm player for as much as he really just did nothing. I'm not really happy about this reassignment when Rutta is just serving popcorn in the press box

Reactions: DaBolts

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Witkowski is trash, the team isn't missing anything with him being gone. Sure he gets a ton of hits but that's because he's running around in our zone because he can't get the puck out. Plus with Schenn still being up Syracuse doesn't have any toughness so Witkowski gives them someone who can throw. The Crunch still haven't named a captain, I can see Witkowski being named once he clears since he was the Crunch captain a few years ago.

Rutta has been fine in the few games he played, nothing special but nothing to really hurt us either. Very similar to Verheaghe. Seems like we are keeping guys who play safer even if that aren't doing anything to help us win they aren't hurting us either. Volkov needs to show something in the next game or two because he hasn't done much yet. He isn't a guy who's blew the doors off the AHL and doesn't need to be there. If he can't get it going I would send him back, Verheaghe can play on that line and do nothing also.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
argue wise im a smith fan so would like him up.... witko was standing around doing nothing on first two goals and think that is why and the fight? he got fired so to speak.... I was screaming at tv myself so something needed to be done id have yelled myself but coop maybe is panicking at bit at this point

bov

Nov 13, 2010
I really like Witkowski and what he can bring to the table, but it just wasn't working out. Had his trial after a good camp and so it goes...hopefully he can find his game in a more prominent role with Syracuse and come up later in the season for some spot duty if necessary.

Reactions: PhysicalGraffiti

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Rutta has been fine. But there's a much, much lower risk somebody would've picked Rutta up on waivers. Witkowski should get claimed.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I don't care about Witko at all but Volkov doesn't look ready if that's who we are "making room for."

Volkov isn’t as bad a everyone thinks. He made some great plays in the D zone multiple times.

He is a bit body that may open up space and contribute offensively. We need a larger sample size.

On the negative side he had a few offensive zone turnovers/wiffs on pucks. Let’s give him the benefit of the doubt due to potential nerves.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Damn, I'm a huge Witkowski fan. Sad to see him down. I'm a firm believer in having at least one guy who can be a tough guy. I realize fighting is unfortunately being phased out, but we need at least one guy who make people think twice about slapping Point or Stammer.

Also really hope Conacher can come back up. Always had a soft spot for the little guy.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Volkov isn’t as bad a everyone thinks. He made some great plays in the D zone multiple times.

He is a bit body that may open up space and contribute offensively. We need a larger sample size.

On the negative side he had a few offensive zone turnovers/wiffs on pucks. Let’s give him the benefit of the doubt due to potential nerves.
Volkov is a safe solid player in the Alex Killorn style. I’m afraid that people in this board have grossly overrated him though. He is solid defensively and can supply some offence.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
When he costs you games and penalties its a really bad thing.

Oh yea, great frigging excuse. Guess it was his fault Tampa Bay got swept in last year's post season. Come to think of it, guess he is why Syracuse got swept as well.
You sit in front of your keyboard complaining the team lack toughness, then complain when the team gets toughness. Few players are able to combine toughness and scoring, many can do one or the other. The Lightning organization has plenty that can score, but have lacked a legit tough guy for years.
Syracuse welcomes Witkowski with open arms as a majority of Crunch fans know and understand how hockey is supposed to be played. Winning is great, but when you lose, at least give your best each shift.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Oh yea, great frigging excuse. Guess it was his fault Tampa Bay got swept in last year's post season. Come to think of it, guess he is why Syracuse got swept as well.
You sit in front of your keyboard complaining the team lack toughness, then complain when the team gets toughness. Few players are able to combine toughness and scoring, many can do one or the other. The Lightning organization has plenty that can score, but have lacked a legit tough guy for years.
Syracuse welcomes Witkowski with open arms as a majority of Crunch fans know and understand how hockey is supposed to be played. Winning is great, but when you lose, at least give your best each shift.

Size and physicality is great but if you end up in the box it does your team no good. Especially when they cant defend the PP to save their ass right now.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
You need tough guys that can play at the nhl level.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
What the f*** are you even on about? Go watch UFC.

Witkowski, as a hockey player, sucks. I don't really care how good you think he is or how "tough" you think this team needs to be, you're a shitty evaluator of talent.

Reactions: FinnLightning26

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Between Maroon, Schenn, Cernak, Coburn, Paquette etc. , we're probably as "tough" as we've been in a few years. I was hoping for Witkowski to be the 13th/extra, but he kinda blew it. There were a few times when Cooper was visibly frustrated with him, and it wasn't just the penalties.

I don't know if he'll be F or D in Syracuse but if it's the former, hopefully he gets some more time to get used to the ins and outs of being a winger. There are still teams that can make it work with players of his ilk (i.e VGK with Reaves, NYI with Johnston/Martin) but they can play a simple, responsible game consistently. With Witkowski, sometimes it wasn't even clear what position he was playing. I like the guy, but that needs to be shored up if he wants to see the NHL again.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Detroit, the worst team in the league didn't even want Witko - just sayin.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
FWIW Witkowski is taking nearly two penalties more than he draws per sixty minutes. With the team taking way too many penalties it’s only logical to replace him. Even if that means two or three big hits less per game.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Size and physicality is great but if you end up in the box it does your team no good. Especially when they cant defend the PP to save their ass right now.
He also drew a delay of game penalty last game.

I am with everyone I don’t agree with him being on the starting roster but being a 13, 14 forward. A 7, 8 d man. A press box player? Why not

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad