Pre-Game Talk: 2019-20 Pro-Team Tank Thread - The Final Countdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
my biggest fear is we're in(or very close to) one of the WC spots around the trade deadline and Dim makes a horrendous move giving up more picks and prospects for a rental

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I'll echo an earlier comment that a major concern involves the fact the Aquilinis will be unable to find an adequate replacement. I'm still hoping they're waiting on Ron Francis, or someone, but I'm somewhat convinced over the last 6 months they've basically been rebuffed by every candidate they've approached.

Being a moron on Twitter, as noted, certainly doesn't help. Who wants to work for the NHL Donald Trump? I think the Linden situation also underratedly tanked the organization's rep.

My suspicion is it needs to go so bad, and ownership ends up being so reviled, that they actually have to put some sort of condition in the management contract that, for example, involves staying out of hockey ops outside of a quarterly meeting.

I'll still cheer for high picks now due to the abomination that is the JT Miller conditional pick, but I agree the most likely scenario is Weisbrod taking over.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I'll echo an earlier comment that a major concern involves the fact the Aquilinis will be unable to find an adequate replacement. I'm still hoping they're waiting on Ron Francis, or someone, but I'm somewhat convinced over the last 6 months they've basically been rebuffed by every candidate they've approached.

Being a moron on Twitter, as noted, certainly doesn't help. Who wants to work for the NHL Donald Trump? I think the Linden situation also underratedly tanked the organization's rep.

My suspicion is it needs to go so bad, and ownership ends up being so reviled, that they actually have to put some sort of condition in the management contract that, for example, involves staying out of hockey ops outside of a quarterly meeting.

I'll still cheer for high picks now due to the abomination that is the JT Miller conditional pick, but I agree the most likely scenario is Weisbrod taking over.
I totally agree. No experienced GM will work for Aquilini. I’m pretty sure his reputation precedes him.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
If only we could get rid of the owners too... just as much part of this problem!!

They are THE problem. Anybody thinking that whoever replaces Jimbo is going to be better is out of their minds; they will have to be the guy FAQ wants who will do his bidding AND who will knowingly destroy his career by doing so. Jim is bad, sure, but it could be soooooo worse. Say Chia pet in for JB...

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
They are THE problem. Anybody thinking that whoever replaces Jimbo is going to be better is out of their minds; they will have to be the guy FAQ wants who will do his bidding AND who will knowingly destroy his career by doing so. Jim is bad, sure, but it could be soooooo worse. Say Chia pet in for JB...

The premise of your post is incorrect. Gillis was better than Benning is now. Same owner.

Each GM executes in a different way regardless of the owner.

Reactions: mossey3535

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Gillis was also a lousy GM; just because he was better than JB doesn't make him good. He too catered to the owner's wishes...

You are free to think whatever you like about Gillis, however incorrect... The point of your premise is still wrong.

That you admit that Gillis was better than Benning means that any GM working for Aquilini need not be as bad. That there is in fact a difference in the execution of each GM. Ergo, someone replacing Benning can be better. It’s possible.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Gillis was also a lousy GM; just because he was better than JB doesn't make him good. He too catered to the owner's wishes...

I never was a "Gillis man." I didn't understand why we signed a guy with no previous experience at managing as our GM. But he did what a good leader does. He surrounded him self with smart people who push back on his decisions.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
This is getting ridiculous. Benning's free agent spending is going to cost the Canucks Pettersson, Hughes, or a future 1st round pick. He needs to be fired now.

I know Aquilini is an idiot himself, but seriously, how can anyone in his position look at the stupidity of Jim Benning and conclude that this is the guy he wants running his half billion dollar investment?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
The main point of the tank is so Jim Benning is fired. That's why we are here.

Fair enough, but you guys do realize that if Benning gets canned, Weisbrod would like be the top candidate? This ownership loves to promote from within. Would be a shame if you guys spent all this time hoping for Benning to get fired, only for Weisbrod to be promoted 5 days later.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Fair enough, but you guys do realize that if Benning gets canned, Weisbrod would like be the top candidate? This ownership loves to promote from within. Would be a shame if you guys spent all this time hoping for Benning to get fired, only for Weisbrod to be promoted 5 days later.

The other problem with the tank is that if this team really does do poorly, either by design or otherwise, our top young players will tire of losing and demand to play elsewhere. Who wants to be in permanent rebuild mode? Not me...

Reactions: DomY

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
The other problem with the tank is that if this team really does do poorly, either by design or otherwise, our top young players will tire of losing and demand to play elsewhere. Who wants to be in permanent rebuild mode? Not me...

Completely agree.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
You are free to think whatever you like about Gillis, however incorrect... The point of your premise is still wrong.

That you admit that Gillis was better than Benning means that any GM working for Aquilini need not be as bad. That there is in fact a difference in the execution of each GM. Ergo, someone replacing Benning can be better. It’s possible.

It's also possible that a nobody with no real talent could get the job based primarily on his ability to agree with whatever nonsense FAQ spouts..

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Wtf! Now we've signed Ferland...ffff******ccccck!

Can't wait to see this team miss the playoffs by like 15 points.

They won’t but it depends on which markstrom shows up. If it’s the guy from dec/feb they are a playoff team but if it’s not then they are pooped.

To be fair he did earn those numbers in dec/feb so you can’t take it away from him but...

Dec and feb - 21gp - 12wins-7 losses-934 sv% - .570 win percentage

Rest of the year - 39gp-16wins-16losses-.900 sv% - .410 win percentage

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
They won’t but it depends on which markstrom shows up. If it’s the guy from dec/feb they are a playoff team but if it’s not then they are pooped.

To be fair he did earn those numbers in dec/feb so you can’t take it away from him but...

Dec and feb - 21gp - 12wins-7 losses-934 sv% - .570 win percentage

Rest of the year - 39gp-16wins-16losses-.900 sv% - .410 win percentage
Nope.

Canucks infirmary will be well stocked this year.

Sutter
Tanev
Edler
Pettersson
Miller
Ferland
Hughes
Myers
Bo
Brock
Sven
Pearson
Stecher

Are my best bet to see time on the ir.

Welcome to medicrotry son.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
With the Ferland signing, we’ve locked ourselves into 9-10 in the conference. Joy....

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Nope.

Canucks infirmary will be well stocked this year.

Sutter
Tanev
Edler
Pettersson
Miller
Ferland
Hughes
Myers
Bo
Brock
Sven
Pearson
Stecher

Are my best bet to see time on the ir.

Welcome to medicrotry son.

Dude trust me I want them fired just as bad as you but markstrom is a huge wildcard that could drag this team to a playoff spot if he goes supernova all year like he did in feb and december

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Dude trust me I want them fired just as bad as you but markstrom is a huge wildcard that could drag this team to a playoff spot if he goes supernova all year like he did in feb and december
Nope.
Every player has 1 career year and Markstrom just had his.

We look better on paper but it should be same old same old.

I do agree that we'll be in it till the bitter end but ultimately fall short.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Lol, I thought you were only going to make one post in this thread, but then you come back with this cheeky one trying to instigate? I guess you'll count it as a reply, not a post. Either way - Pass.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Who wants to permanently to have a horrible GM running their favorite NHL team into the ground year after year- not me. If the team had a GM that was good at his job, that actually had a sensible plan and stuck to it - then the team wouldn't perpetually be in rebuild mode, as it's been since he took over (the one year they lost in the first round management admitted they were "punching above their weight").

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I completely plan on bookmarking everyone who comes into this thread in oct- dec saying to us to lock it up; playoffs baby etc and then to quote them all the day we are eliminated and be like now what.

Reactions: Pavel96
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad