Salary Cap: 2019-20 money talk$$$$

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I guess we dont have an active thread to discuss the cap situation for this upcoming year and maybe speculated a bit about how next year is shaping up too... will be interesting to see what krug/coyle/debrusk do as far as extension this year

I wont set off a pipebomb here to get things started... my ideas about the cap are fairly easy to find... but the joel edmunson salary arbitration award of 3.1 mill is interesting I think

hes a no-offense 6'4 second pair dman who has now gotten 6.1 mill for this year and last year combind...

does that help us hold the line on carlo? can carlo and his agent see it as a comparable they might settle for?

I would prefer carlo on a 4x4 deal which is similar to what guys like jonan brodin were signing for before the recent rfa contracts went up. most the guys that got 4x4 create more offense than carlo

if carlo doesnt accept 4x4 I sure wouldnt mind a 1 year deal around 3 mill... its better than what nurse got in Edmonton for the player...

its the same as edmunson… is it a fair comparable I wonder?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Toronto has finished their salary management for this off-season... was it the disaster I predicted or did they postpone the bleeding for another year?

upfront they still have an impressive top 6 if nylander doesnt suck again like last year... but what happened to their third line depth and does their 4th line have anyone that would even make our team?

their defense got more mobile maybe... id say barrie is better than gardiner and that ceci is better than haisey… but they had to give up a first round pick to make the room and there is NO CAP FOR NEXT YEAR

speaking of NO CAP... I wonder how they think they are going to take hyman off ltir when he gets healthy???

id hate to be a fan of theirs because honestly, the Toronto window seems ready to close and did they ever win a playoff round?

maybe the league said it didnt want to re-open negotiations... but for now, the poison cool-aid in Toronto is still being drank and a lot of them blamed marner/not the system for the holdout... we shall see how this continues to play out

meanwhile here in boston camp is going and our 2 guys still havent been signed. dom is pretty dialed in on a lot of inside info and he has been saying that the framework of a deal is pretty much done... I heard mention that lockout protection is the last little stickler. with provolov and werenski being signed this week I think we know where McAvoy is at.

carlo might have to bite the bullet and come in lower than the 4 mill I thought he would get. his lack of offense is the killer. maybe we see him take the bridge and who knows... maybe we see him try to develop his offense game like morrisey did so he can get paid at 24... at least thats what id be telling him now if I was his agent.

so updated predictions... McAvoy coming in a bit under 7 mill on a 6-7 year deal
and carlo going the 2 year deal at around 3 mill... a bit more for McAvoy/a bit less for carlo… but still around the 10 mill most of us thought

once again bruins have done a pretty mastiful job with the cap specially compared to those guys in Canadas center of the universe

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I wouldn’t say the Bruins have masterfully managed the cap. We have 7 million in cap space and your best case scenario has the two signing for around 10 million. Something needs to be shaken loose. Maybe they are waiting to ltir someone and that does it but we are in trouble no matter how you shake it

Reactions: smithformeragent

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
I wouldn’t say the Bruins have masterfully managed the cap. We have 7 million in cap space and your best case scenario has the two signing for around 10 million. Something needs to be shaken loose. Maybe they are waiting to ltir someone and that does it but we are in trouble no matter how you shake it

Yeah, they have almost 10 million tied to Backes, Seidenberg and Beleskey. Not exactly a masterclass of cap management. Toronto has overpaid their top players, but that's a better problem to have than just wasting your cap space to dead assets.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I guess we dont have an active thread to discuss the cap situation for this upcoming year and maybe speculated a bit about how next year is shaping up too... will be interesting to see what krug/coyle/debrusk do as far as extension this year

I wont set off a pipebomb here to get things started... my ideas about the cap are fairly easy to find... but the joel edmunson salary arbitration award of 3.1 mill is interesting I think

hes a no-offense 6'4 second pair dman who has now gotten 6.1 mill for this year and last year combind...

does that help us hold the line on carlo? can carlo and his agent see it as a comparable they might settle for?

I would prefer carlo on a 4x4 deal which is similar to what guys like jonan brodin were signing for before the recent rfa contracts went up. most the guys that got 4x4 create more offense than carlo

if carlo doesnt accept 4x4 I sure wouldnt mind a 1 year deal around 3 mill... its better than what nurse got in Edmonton for the player...

its the same as edmunson… is it a fair comparable I wonder?
Carlo My guess ain’t getting 4 M if Werenski got 5 M

Reactions: JOKER 192

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
If Clifton is as good as he was in the playoffs, that contract is going to be magic. $1m for four more years.

Reactions: bbfan419

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Bruins even with mistakes didn't crash and burn like the Blackhawks and Kings

The main issue with the cap is while the stars are getting their money, the players in the middle and bottom are being lowballed.

I have no idea how to fix it

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
The Bruins even with mistakes didn't crash and burn like the Blackhawks and Kings

The main issue with the cap is while the stars are getting their money, the players in the middle and bottom are being lowballed.

This is why I believe you have to stand firm with RFA's and not follow the examples we've seen of overpaying out of ELC. No idea why managers are falling for this. It goes against the way the system wass designed to work.

Reactions: Spooner st

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

They seem to be making out alright at the end of the day, even if they're being lowballed. You always see teams overpay those middle/bottom players in free agency.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Yeah, they have almost 10 million tied to Backes, Seidenberg and Beleskey. Not exactly a masterclass of cap management. Toronto has overpaid their top players, but that's a better problem to have than just wasting your cap space to dead assets.
What about wasting your 1st round picks to clear not enough cap space? I like our problems compared to theirs.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
What about wasting your 1st round picks to clear not enough cap space? I like our problems compared to theirs.

Yeah, it was a mistake to sign a 30+ year old UFA to multi-year deal with 6 million dollar AAV. Don't think anybody is denying that. Having superstars in their early 20s on big money deals isn't a big issue though.

Reactions: Over the volcano

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Yeah, it was a mistake to sign a 30+ year old UFA to multi-year deal with 6 million dollar AAV. Don't think anybody is denying that. Having superstars in their early 20s on big money deals isn't a big issue though.
I prefer having superstars in their early 20’s on medium money deals:laugh:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Some of us thought owners would be looking for a cap on second contracts in the current CBA negotiations.

You may find it hard to believe, but its the players that are now looking for a cap on second contracts.

Seeing the turnover in players since the current CBA was negotiated - makes it hard to believe. But I can see why they would push for it. Eventually, the current players will be pushed out for younger, cheaper players.

member 96824

Not wanting to pay RFAs reminds me of that anonymous GM quote that was going around from June 30

“I’m trying to move bad contracts so I can give out more tomorrow”

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
It’ll be nice to be rid of the beleskey and Seids money next year. That should pretty much cover Debrusks extension. I feel like if we can move Miller it’ll give us the space we need. That Backes deal is what really haunts us. That Moore deal was a bad one when signed as well. No idea why we gave him so much term.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
think there was a time where players were paid for what they had done in the past and often they struggled to reach that plateau again and teams got burned

Nowadays, I find players are getting big paydays based on what they expect they will be

Marner is a terrific player but that number is crazy. Anyways, it ain`t our problem here but I`ll wager by the deadline, the Leafs will have to move someone out, my guess is Nylander will wind up being the odd man out

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
You’re going to have to explain...
They gave up a first to be rid of Marleau - couldn’t sign a new top six forward and most likely won’t be able to resign their defensemen next year. Oh and they won’t have that pick to lean on as young inexpensive talent to fill out their line up in a couple years. I like our problems better than theirs.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
They gave up a first to be rid of Marleau - couldn’t sign a new top six forward and most likely won’t be able to resign their defensemen next year. Oh and they won’t have that pick to lean on as young inexpensive talent to fill out their line up in a couple years. I like our problems better than theirs.

Bruins are in an entirely different situation if we give up a first rounder to move backes. Bruins already have $7.29m in cap space right now with a full 23 man roster. If they trade a 1st to move backes that figure moves up to $13.29m with 22 filled roster spots. Sign Carlo 3x3.5 and McAvoy 4X6.75 (@Dom - OHL estimates on contracts) that leaves $3.04m in cap space but the bruins would have 24 rostered players. So you need to send one downS then if you sign a 2nd line RW you need to send down 2 players. Freeing up $1.5m to $2m putting us roughly at $4.54 or $5.04m in cap space with one extra roster spot for a 2nd line RW.

If more cap space was needed Moore or Miller to LTIR would free up another $2.5m or $2.75m.

Boston and Toronto’s cap situations aren’t even close to similar. Unfortunately the Bruins have waited too far into the offseason to put these plans into motion to grab a 2nd line RW but it was doable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad