Injury Report: 2019-20 Injuries: Steven Stamkos done for rest of playoffs

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Be it that we are healthy come playoff time there's no excuses left. Everyone else being healthy too shouldn't matter. If you need to get by because the other guy is ravaged by injuries you probably aren't deserving anyway

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Steven Stamkos is expected to be recovered from core muscle surgery and ready to play for the Tampa Bay Lightning if the NHL season resumes, coach Jon Cooper said Friday.
"He improves every single day," Cooper said Friday. "I have no idea when things are going to get back together, but we have anticipated that all of our guys will be ready to go when that time comes. We know it's not coming tomorrow and probably not next week, but when the time comes, we anticipate everyone will be ready.

"I know he's worked hard to get back. A lot of it had to do with rest, which he's been getting."
Cooper said Lightning players are doing their own workouts and should be fine physically. He is more interested in whether they are mentally prepared to return at a crucial point in the season.

"The guys are tremendous athletes, and they're working out in their own different ways," Cooper said. "Not being able to be on the ice is obviously an issue, but the guys keep themselves in outstanding shape. I look for the mental side of things to see if guys are looking forward to coming back and trying to finish what we've already started, and everybody's been in that mindset.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoek

TheFurryPickle

Mar 9, 2019
https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/jan-rutta-player-news

Rotowire–May 27, 12:33p ET
News

Rutta (lower body) should be ready to rock once Tampa Bay begins its training camp in July, Joe Smith of The Athletic reports.
Impact

Rutta was still recovering from a lower-body injury when the NHL suspended its season in mid-March, but he's had over two months to recover at this point, so he shouldn't have any limitations when the Lightning begin their training camp in July. Tampa Bay does, however, have a ton of depth at defense, especially after signing Zach Bogosian in late February, so Rutta may be on the outside looking in once the playoffs get under way.

My Response -- did get a LoL at the fact they think Rutta is on the outside looking in.

Also he and Ryan were starting full practice by march.

Lightning’s Ryan McDonagh, Jan Rutta return to full practice

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/jan-rutta-player-news

Rotowire–May 27, 12:33p ET
News

Rutta (lower body) should be ready to rock once Tampa Bay begins its training camp in July, Joe Smith of The Athletic reports.
Impact

Rutta was still recovering from a lower-body injury when the NHL suspended its season in mid-March, but he's had over two months to recover at this point, so he shouldn't have any limitations when the Lightning begin their training camp in July. Tampa Bay does, however, have a ton of depth at defense, especially after signing Zach Bogosian in late February, so Rutta may be on the outside looking in once the playoffs get under way.

My Response -- did get a LoL at the fact they think Rutta is on the outside looking in.

Also he and Ryan were starting full practice by march.

Lightning’s Ryan McDonagh, Jan Rutta return to full practice
Thinking Bogo pushes Rutta out, lol

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Just please be healthy for round 1!

These 3 or 4 games we play with the top seeds could be dangerous. Having guys be rusty come back and take hits, or not be game ready, pull something, strain something. Hoping we are fully healthy for official round 1

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Lower body injury or still building up strength in his legs from the surgery? Probably a combination of the two.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Groin injury seems possible. Stammer can do light skating, and groin injuries are always the concern when a player has missed a lot of time.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Seems like it is something he has to play through? Something he gets surgery for in the "offseason"

It does not sound good. He won't be at peak performance for the playoffs.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I don't really care if Stamkos even needs to miss the round-robin. We ought to be able to win those games without him.

Just be ready to play when eliminations are on the line. Stamkos needs to redeem himself more than any player on this team. Period. He's had exactly 2 good playoff series (Montreal and New York in 2015) his whole time here and followed it with 1 assist in the whole SCF, getting a blood clot (not his fault) and basically saying "f*** it" after game 4 of the ECF vs the Caps. Everything else has been "meh" and getting swept by Montreal when he still had a bum leg.

Somehow after all these years, this is the deepest and most talented team we've ever had and we just had 3 months off. Absolutely NO more excuses for him and Cooper. I simply tolerate that relationship because I don't have a choice in the matter and we had a ridiculous run playing like .900 hockey for 20-something games.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I mean we've got time. He doesn't even need to play in any of the seeding games either. Absolutely no reason to rush him back.
Coop said they’d like to get him into at least one of those game but even then there’s no need to strain him. Bolts can easily control his minutes and ease him through those games.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Is it wrong that every time I see this thread title I think Stamkos has managed a whole new injury as of that morning and I have to make sure it's just been the same one since the start of the training camp?

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

“I'm feeling good," Stamkos said via Zoom media conference after the skate. "Was nice to just get back with the guys and have fun being out there. It's kind of a day-by-day thing. I've been progressing. Obviously had the surgery in March and kind of the ups and downs of the rehab. Definitely the best I've felt was today on the ice, so another step forward."
“I don't know if I'd call it a new injury," Stamkos answered when asked if the Phase 2 injury was related to his surgery. "Anytime you have a surgery, there's going to be things that are certainly connected with one another. I would just call it the ebbs and flows of going through a rehab. Obviously, I've had a few unfortunate surgeries over the years, so I kind of know what to expect. There was a stretch for four or five weeks when I was skating just with a couple of guys that were allowed to skate because we were rehabbing, I was feeling really good. Obviously, there was no contact, there was no game-like situations during that time, so I was feeling good then kind of hit a little rut. But, yeah, definitely all related, but it's certainly feeling a lot better now, so I think just chalk it up to the ups and downs of going through a rehab, especially a rehab in these times where it was difficult to navigate for when coronavirus hit and things were shut down. It was tough at the beginning."
The staff will evaluate how Stamkos feels Tuesday after taking part in his first full practice day and go from there.

"He's on track, we've just got to make sure we keep it that way," Cooper said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad