GDT: 2019-20 GM#21 LA Kings vs Arizona Coyotes @6:00pm 11/18/19

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Inconsistency is to be expected for the learning crew. Falling back into bad habits and all that. The Coyotes aren't a bad team either, so the Kings have to minimize their mistakes and so far they haven't.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
It seems that the team is still adapting to the new system, they are getting in proper positions to disrupt the powerplay, but fail in clearing the puck. It seems to be a constant on the PK, this powerplay alone had 3 or 4 opportunities to dump the puck and they couldn't. They seem to just be a split second slow in decision making, which leads me to believe they are overthinking rather than playing.
I mean... I know that hockey players aren’t always the smartest but it’s been 20 games. This ain’t rocket surgery.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
I mean... I know that hockey players aren’t always the smartest but it’s been 20 games. This ain’t rocket surgery.

I think the idea for players is to not think, especially with regards to split second decision making. The more they think the longer it takes for them to react.

Reactions: King'sPawn

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
They haven't had the old system beaten out of them enough yet. You see it in the hesitation and when they start doing that familiar perimeter play. They should be beaten more with socks full of pucks.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Clifford on the PK? It’s almost like TM understands you don’t run Kopitar into the ground. Almost.

My lingering issue with WD is how many minutes he played Kopi/Dewey in that pointless season. It would have been great for the two of them to have basically had a season of rest since the team was going nowhere.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
I get it but if they still have to think about it after training camp + preseason + 20 games they might be too stupid to live.

Like I said, I don't think it has to do with intelligence, but muscle memory. A lot of these guys have played one system for over a decade, it is going to take more than a few months to change how they play when it has been so ingrained for them.

Reactions: Statto

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I get it but if they still have to think about it after training camp + preseason + 20 games they might be too stupid to live.
If TM has a plan like we hope he does, this season will give him the ammunition he needs to convince management to move on from certain players. But that's February away.

Reactions: Bandit

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The nice part of that first period was seeing that the Ducks got waxed by the Caps.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Considering they've been doing the same thing since Terry Murray came over, it's understandable.

A lot of this isn't even X's and O's though. They're just getting outworked.

Reactions: kingsholygrail

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Like I said, I don't think it has to do with intelligence, but muscle memory. A lot of these guys have played one system for over a decade, it is going to take more than a few months to change how they play when it has been so ingrained for them.
Who fits that description though? Kopitar Brown Carter Doughty Martinez and Clifford? What about everyone else?

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
this f***in power play

i stopped doing my dishes to watch it

i'm going back to my dishes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad