9. Morin, Sam - 29%
10. O'Brien, Jay - 38%
11. Zamula, Yegor - 41%
12. Hogberg, Linus - 27%
13. Laczynski, Tanner - 43%

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
My next four could go either way between Cates, St. Ivany, Kalynuk and Voro but I will go with Cates now because he should be a solid bottom six guy that can pk in the future.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I got to go with Cates, I think he's got far more upside than Vorobyev, they both have similar skill limitations, but Cates just looks more polished as a two way player.
I'm leaning Millman over Kalynuk b/c of age, just a lot more upside at 18 than 22.

I think Voroybev is just ahead of Bunnaman, better playmaker, not as good of a scorer.
Both need to improve their skating and become more physical, if you're a big center who can't fly, you'd better learn how to use your body.

With Wylie and St Ivany, they have an edge as RHDs, but is either a legitimate NHL defender?

PhillyFaninMTL

Mar 30, 2016
Montreal
Pretty crazy that a player that has actually made the big club will most likely end up at #15. I don't know if it speaks to the strength of our prospect pool or the fact that we overvalue the unknown

Reactions: Fragmuffin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's a reflection of the depth of the organization.

Vorobyev will probably end up as a 3C on another NHL team, he's got more upside than Cousins or Weal, but on this team he just hasn't shown enough to project him winning a battle with Patrick, Frost, Laughton or Rubtsov, and he's even with Bunnaman.

Last year he beat out MV, Varone, Lehtera, Knight and Weal. Frost wasn't ready and Patrick was 2C to start the season.
The competition has gotten much stiffer as more prospects are closer to the NHL.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I'll be in the minority on this board, but it's Ginning for me at this point.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I veered back to the Pimp, who apparently is going to get Hakstoked all the way to #15. Pretty ****ing sad.

C6JYV1n.gif

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
In my opinion, of the players left he’s most likely to play the most NHL games. I’d be happy to take a bet of who plays more NHL games: Ginning or Vorobyev.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
I like both NAK and Cates better than Voro. Especially, for the Flyers considering the center depth ahead of him.
I doubt anyone of them are impactful but I could at least see NAK or Cates carving out a niche as a fourth line, PK, energy guy. Voro’s skillset is very limited in how he can be utilized.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007

I don’t see him having success as a 4th line center that gets limited even strength ice time, wingers with limited skills and PK duties.

For him to be successful he will need to play too 9 with skilled wingers. He needs to control pace and distribute. He doesn’t consistently bring energy that you look for from guys that are playing limited minutes and need to make something happen to earn more ice time.

On top of that, he doesn't seem to be a fit on the wing and he would be behind Coots, Hayes, Patrick, Frost, Rubstov and Laughton at center.

Reactions: Rebels57

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
I don’t see him having success as a 4th line center that gets limited even strength ice time, wingers with limited skills and PK duties.

For him to be successful he will need to play too 9 with skilled wingers. He needs to control pace and distribute. He doesn’t consistently bring energy that you look for from guys that are playing limited minutes and need to make something happen to earn more ice time.

On top of that, he doesn't seem to be a fit on the wing and he would be behind Coots, Hayes, Patrick, Frost, Rubstov and Laughton at center.

To be fair, that same argument can be made about any higher potential prospect, especially if they have more than 2 months in the organization. The alternative is to vote for "solid 4th liners" and "reliable 6/7 dmen" - "with upside," of course. Not a criticism, but it is where this logic takes us.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

We're (soon to be) deep enough that the 4th line isn't inhabited by the Ryan White's and Chris Vandevelde's anymore. If we were stuck with 4th line wingers of that ilk, it would take a Couts-like god center to succeed.

Your bring energy 4th line narrative is completely archaic anyway. It's just old hockey man nonsense. You need players that produce a net positive impact. Limiting yourself to a certain archetype for a certain line is passe.

You got one thing right. He's definitely not a winger. Although, the first 4 you listed are likely not touching a 4th line anytime soon. As for Rubtsov and Laughton, that's very debatable.

Rubtsov's had this weird mythic rise in popularity lately based on a few front office quotes and 1st round nostalgia. While Laughton may have team mascot status sewn up, he's shown to be much better suited on the wing.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Not really, Farabee for example would be an excellent 4th line player, but is destined for the top 6.
Rubtsov will also fit well on the 4th line to start, but is a top 9 quality player.
High energy, high IQ, good skaters can play anywhere in the lineup.

It's guys with limited skill packages, like Weal, that have to be slotted where they can succeed.
Vorobyev right now is similar to Weal without the great possession skills, he needs to be in an offensive role, but lacks top 6 talent.
Which is why I expect him to be traded unless he really picks up his skating and forechecking skills - if he can't carve out a 4th line role to start his career, he won't play in Philly.

And yes, 4th line players need to be high energy, defensively responsible, they're going to be used more in spot roles, and ideally can also play PK, freeing better players for offensive roles.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It can't just be Hakstol for Vorobyov. He was up for a while after Gordon was made the coach, and never made it to 10 minutes in a game. You kind of lose that as an argument when the guy who is most familiar with him doesn't want to use him either.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
It can't just be Hakstol for Vorobyov. He was up for a while after Gordon was made the coach, and never made it to 10 minutes in a game. You kind of lose that as an argument when the guy who is most familiar with him doesn't want to use him either.

Oh, well then. Hakstol AND Gordon. Case closed. Back to Ufa.

I'm not exactly guaranteeing stardom. Let's slow down. If last year were the barometer a lot of our players should have bags packed. We're talking about a possible 4th line center.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
But that's the point, Vorobyev right now isn't suited to a 4th line role, it is an energy role b/c you spot your 4th line, you rotate your top 3 lines (you want to take minutes away from our top 3 lines this season?) and match the 4th line strategically.

Bunnaman has similar issues, he has to carve a role out for himself on the 4th line to make the NHL.

Weal bounced around here and in Zona before he found the right niche in Montreal.
Vorobyev will probably do the same, he can succeed but only in the right role with the right linemates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad