6. Brink, Bobby Orr - 69%
7. Rubtsov, German - 58%
8. Allison, Wade - 39%
9. Morin, Sam - 29%
10. O'Brien, Jay - 38%
11. Zamula, Yegor - 41%

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hogberg again, he's going to end up the quiet top 4 D-man that no one talks about but starts for a decade, plays 20+ minutes a night and is always reliable. Has steadily improved against SHL competition. Probably should have come over this season, and has to be signed this summer.

I'm not solid on Kalynuk, 3 USHL seasons from 17-19, then two years at Wisconsin at 20-21.
He's never had that dominant offensive season, and he's getting a little long in the tooth for a prospect, at 22 he should put up big numbers this year as an offensive defenseman.

Laczynski had a breakout USHL season at 18, a real nice freshman season at 19, but seems to have flatlined a bit the last two years, now he's 22, and should be a dominant college player going against mostly younger competition. I'd put him ahead of Kalynuk and maybe even with Hogberg.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Hogberg again, he's going to end up the quiet top 4 D-man that no one talks about but starts for a decade, plays 20+ minutes a night and is always reliable. Has steadily improved against SHL competition. Probably should have come over this season, and has to be signed this summer.

I'm not solid on Kalynuk, 3 USHL seasons from 17-19, then two years at Wisconsin at 20-21.
He's never had that dominant offensive season, and he's getting a little long in the tooth for a prospect, at 22 he should put up big numbers this year as an offensive defenseman.

Laczynski had a breakout USHL season at 18, a real nice freshman season at 19, but seems to have flatlined a bit the last two years, now he's 22, and should be a dominant college player going against mostly younger competition. I'd put him ahead of Kalynuk and maybe even with Hogberg.
Laczynskihad a breakout season at 19 in the USHL he was a second year eligible when drafted but he will be my next selecting after Högberg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
His breakout USHL season was 2015-16, Laczynski was born 6/1/97, so that made him 18.
He'll be 22 his senior season at Ohio State.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hogberg from all reports is a polished defensive defenseman with skating and puck skills, his scoring should improve when he comes to NA. And he's made steady progress, garnering a bigger role (17 minutes as the #5 on the best team in the SHL last year).

Kalynuk simply hasn't produced like a top offensive defenseman, and he's 22 this year, it's not like he's 18 or 19 and showing skills with the anticipation that he's on the verge of breaking out - even if he had a good season this year it's against mostly younger competition, much like an overage season in the CHL. It's hard to project him in the top 4, compare to someone like York, or even Attard.

Attard, USHL at 19: 48g 30-34 64 +46 [but 6g 0-1 1 in the PO does raise an eyebrow]
Kalynuk, USHL at 19: 60g 6-25 31 +3
York, USHL, USDP, WJC at 17-18: 98g 25-84 109 +53

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
His breakout USHL season was 2015-16, Laczynski was born 6/1/97, so that made him 18.
He'll be 22 his senior season at Ohio State.
Yea sorry my bad , he was second year eligible draft but you are correct he was 18 during his breakout season in USHL .

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I must be the low man on Hogberg. I have him in the 20s. He's a solid prospect and I've liked him since he got drafted, but as a LHD in this system, I think you really need to present some standout qualities imo. And if we're going to ding Laczynski for the probability that he doesn't sign, there's a chance that Hogberg's rights expire as well.

I didn't even vote for him here but I think Kalynuk has some distinct NHL caliber qualities. There's a little bit of Ghost in there if you squint hard enough.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Kalynuk should have been 3-4 spots higher (no college Seniors for me), but I'm extremely comfortable with risk and don't value taking up NHL roster space at all. In fact, I think it actively hurts your organizational dvelopment because it gives you an excuse to be less aggressive in promoting riskier prospects.

I'd have Vorobyev clearly over Hogberg too before getting into debatables.

These lists should change from year to year significantly more than they do. It doesn't matter that Sam Morin was a 1st rounder anymore. The draft is just a snapshot of opinions at the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stizzle

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'd bet you money that 90% of people voting right now haven't even seen the guys they're voting for and are just doing it based on what they've read on here or from some random article.

That's why I stopped voting a few polls ago.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
The poll had Kalynuk #20 last summer. Behind Ginning and Sushko, to name a few.

Blind spots are blind spots.

I have Kalynuk at 11 and I’ll be very surprised if he doesn’t crack my top 10 next year. Gimme a defenseman with multiple projectable NHL tools all day erday

Reactions: Stizzle

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
As I showed, Kalynuk has yet to play up to those projectables, and he's 22 this season.
Two solid college seasons at 20-21, but nothing that says "future top 4 defenseman."

To me, Attard is a more interesting player, 6'3 207 with crazy goal scoring numbers at 19 in the USHL.
Now we won't know if he's for real until this time next year, but he'll be playing in a tougher NCAA conference than Kalynuk.
Since it's a one year burst, you can't get too excited until he repeats something close to that performance.

Appleyard is ga ga over Hogberg, and he was right on target with Lindblom. So I'll take his judgment when it comes to Swedes.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
The people with published lists this summer have Kalynuk...

Charlie O'Connor: 20th
Appleyard: 19th
Dan Silver: Honorable Mention

Me right before the draft...
Stizzle said:
Also, in my personal Flyers prospect rankings, I have two left-handed defensemen ranked very high, with Zamula at #4 and Kalynuk at #5.

They've been pushed down slightly to #6 & #7 with the additions of Brink and York. You could certainly twist my arm to drop Kalynuk a few spots more, but obviously the point still stands.

1) Frost
2) Myers
3) Farabee
4) Brink
5) York
6) Zamula
7) Kalynuk

IMO Kalynuk has a certain dynamic flavor to his game that possibly everyone who would be left on the board, except JOB, lacks.

I've always noted that, in my eye's, Wisconsin's forward group is very poor. Especially last year. For me, the production narrative really doesn't hold as much water. Context matters, and I always try to rank with my eyes.

There are safer options left on my personal board at 7, but that's not a great concern for me. It's difficult to find defense prospects like him.

I just don't know who has actually taken the time to watch a decent sample of this guy other than the handful of usual posters on this board. Mostly, I think it's just really tough to shake the public perception of draft status. Whether it be 1st round or 7th round.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The problem with "it's all the fault of the Wisconsin forwards"

Kalynuk 37g 9-16 25 0
Miller 26g 5-17 22 +7
K'Andre Miller was 18 (turned 19 in January), Kalynuk was 21 last season.
Miller was the #22 pick in 2018.

They do have bad forwards that suppress scoring, but Miller was close to a ppg as a freshman.

Provorov4Norris

Sep 28, 2017
Is everyone even confident that Hogberg will get signed? You don't hear much from the brass about him and his prospects and this was the perfect year to sign him and it didn't even seem to be a consideration.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Is everyone even confident that Hogberg will get signed? You don't hear much from the brass about him and his prospects and this was the perfect year to sign him and it didn't even seem to be a consideration.

In an interview with Flahr, he was asked about Hogbergs status and he said they feel like he would get more ice time staying in the SHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad