Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wylie, Wyatte

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
It comes down to what you want from players and how comfortable you are with risk. Most lists value safety more than I do or Stizzle does.

If you can't consistently generate breakouts as a Defenseman in the lower levels, I'm never going to rank you highly. The archetypes that do are more likely to never hit the NHL. They're also more likely to have a positive impact if they get there.

Attard, USHL at 19: 48g 30-34 64 +46 [but 6g 0-1 1 in the PO does raise an eyebrow]
Kalynuk, USHL at 19: 60g 6-25 31 +3

Not that Points is the way to evaluate Defensemen, but if you even watch highlights and tell me the way these two players generate them is equivalent and an apples to apples comparison in projection to the NHL, I really don't know what to tell you.

Last edited:

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
It comes down to what you want from players and how comfortable you are with risk. Most lists value safety more than I do or Stizzle does.

If you can't consistently generate breakouts as a Defenseman in the lower levels, I'm never going to rank you highly. The archetypes that do are more likely to never hit the NHL. They're also more likely to have a positive impact if they get there.

Not that Points is the way to evaluate Defensemen, but if you even watch highlights and tell me the way these two players generate them is equivalent and an apples to apples comparison in projection to the NHL, I really don't know what to tell you.

Speaking of consistently generating breakouts, Kalynuk did that well in the USHL and Attard didn’t. Definitely an area of his to remedy moving forward. Zac Jones was the primary breakout generator on that D-pair. Attard seemed to panic a bit too easily under even light forechecking pressure.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
In an interview with Flahr, he was asked about Hogbergs status and he said they feel like he would get more ice time staying in the SHL.
He gave stock answers- needed more time, needs to get stronger, no rush to bring him over, didn’t want him to struggle in NA this year (?!).

He did say he needed to play more which was a little odd considering that the Phantoms project to only dress one prospect on their blueline to start. They have nothing but time to give and I don’t think space is going to clear up after 2020. It’s probably only going to get more crowded.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Speaking of consistently generating breakouts, Kalynuk did that well in the USHL and Attard didn’t. Definitely an area of his to remedy moving forward. Zac Jones was the primary breakout generator on that D-pair. Attard seemed to panic a bit too easily under even light forechecking pressure.

Exactly. The more I was able to find of Attard, the more I was disappointed Jones went 4 spots earlier to the Rangers. With that being said, it wasn't enough footage for me to really feel comfortable in that. The Google Drive I used to use for the USHL was deleted at some point, sadly. If anyone has longer footage/clips for anyone remotely interesting in the USHL, I'd appreciate a link immensely.

Kalynuk was even a walking breakout against the USNTDP in his draft year. Yes, he was older, but that's still not common at such a talent disadvantage.

Reactions: wankstifier

TB87

May 30, 2018
Exactly. The more I was able to find of Attard, the more I was disappointed Jones went 4 spots earlier to the Rangers. With that being said, it wasn't enough footage for me to really feel comfortable in that. The Google Drive I used to use for the USHL was deleted at some point, sadly. If anyone has longer footage/clips for anyone remotely interesting in the USHL, I'd appreciate a link immensely.

Kalynuk was even a walking breakout against the USNTDP in his draft year. Yes, he was older, but that's still not common at such a talent disadvantage.

There is definitely something there with Attard. I’m comfortable having him rated as the Flyers 20th best prospect. He’s definitely a swing for the fences type pick. He’s not so bad on the breakout that it can’t be remedied with practice (See: Hagg) but it is a concern nonetheless.

The more I watch of Kalynuk the more I become convinced that he’ll be an impact defender at the NHL level. Plenty of NHL dmen get away with being average defensively. There’s little reason to expect that Kalynuk would be an exception.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I was surprised at Flahr’s answers re: Hogberg. Sure came across as they aren’t very high on him. I haven’t seen much of him at all, but I get the sense he must be a pretty passive player & quite lacking in strength.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I'd bet you money that 90% of people voting right now haven't even seen the guys they're voting for and are just doing it based on what they've read on here or from some random article.

That's why I stopped voting a few polls ago.

Isn't that how voting in government elections works?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There is definitely something there with Attard. I’m comfortable having him rated as the Flyers 20th best prospect. He’s definitely a swing for the fences type pick. He’s not so bad on the breakout that it can’t be remedied with practice (See: Hagg) but it is a concern nonetheless.

The more I watch of Kalynuk the more I become convinced that he’ll be an impact defender at the NHL level. Plenty of NHL dmen get away with being average defensively. There’s little reason to expect that Kalynuk would be an exception.

I think Attard and Kalynuk are apples and oranges, my point was simply that Attard had the kind of breakout season at 19 in the USHL that Kalynuk never had, and that York had at 17-18. Attard is a bit of a freak with the goal scoring, he may well be a Brennan, someone who scores at lower levels but lacks the total package to function in the NHL.

The problem with Kalynuk is he's 22, he's not going to make it on his defense, and he has yet to have that dominant offensive season.
With Miller gone, he'll probably be paired with Emberson on the first pair, and get the lion share of scoring opportunities.
But if he doesn't have a breakout year, we're talking 23 in the AHL in 2020-21, and maybe 2 seasons there.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
The people with published lists this summer have Kalynuk...

Charlie O'Connor: 20th
Appleyard: 19th
Dan Silver: Honorable Mention

Me right before the draft...

They've been pushed down slightly to #6 & #7 with the additions of Brink and York. You could certainly twist my arm to drop Kalynuk a few spots more, but obviously the point still stands.

1) Frost
2) Myers
3) Farabee
4) Brink
5) York
6) Zamula
7) Kalynuk

IMO Kalynuk has a certain dynamic flavor to his game that possibly everyone who would be left on the board, except JOB, lacks.

I've always noted that, in my eye's, Wisconsin's forward group is very poor. Especially last year. For me, the production narrative really doesn't hold as much water. Context matters, and I always try to rank with my eyes.

There are safer options left on my personal board at 7, but that's not a great concern for me. It's difficult to find defense prospects like him.

I just don't know who has actually taken the time to watch a decent sample of this guy other than the handful of usual posters on this board. Mostly, I think it's just really tough to shake the public perception of draft status. Whether it be 1st round or 7th round.
Ok now . Wyatt is from my home province and having worked in the scouting circles have seen him play close to 100 games growing up , plus playing for Lincoln Bloomington and now Wisconcin .
Wyatt's strongest attribute is his skating and his biggest flaw is aggresion and physical play , he was built like a toothpick .
When the puck is on his stick he looks great but in his own he would get man handled and generally avoided as much contact as he could . Going the US route has been the way to go for him cause they were hoping that as he would physically mature hopefully that part of his game would come around . When i watch Wyatt this is what i watch for cause it is the one area of his game that needed major work the puck skills and skating were always there .

When i watch him now he has progressed in this area some , but playing the pro game is much more physical and more of a grind and i still question how he will translate .
Skills are there but mentally and physically toughness are still questionable for me that's why he will be rated further down for me .

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I haven’t seen much of Kalynuk, so I could be wrong, but he gave me the impression he can really skate. And you’ve always got a chance if you can skate. Maybe he has hands like Mark Parent, & I wouldn’t rank him top 10, but he should have a nice AHL career if nothing else.

TB87

May 30, 2018
Ok now . Wyatt is from my home province and having worked in the scouting circles have seen him play close to 100 games growing up , plus playing for Lincoln Bloomington and now Wisconcin .
Wyatt's strongest attribute is his skating and his biggest flaw is aggresion and physical play , he was built like a toothpick .
When the puck is on his stick he looks great but in his own he would get man handled and generally avoided as much contact as he could . Going the US route has been the way to go for him cause they were hoping that as he would physically mature hopefully that part of his game would come around . When i watch Wyatt this is what i watch for cause it is the one area of his game that needed major work the puck skills and skating were always there .

When i watch him now he has progressed in this area some , but playing the pro game is much more physical and more of a grind and i still question how he will translate .
Skills are there but mentally and physically toughness are still questionable for me that's why he will be rated further down for me .

I haven’t really noticed him avoiding contact in the games I’m using for my tracking project on him. 70% of his 50/50 battles he has come away with possession. I do not know if that is good or not since 50/50 battles aren’t exactly a publicly tracked stat. What really stands out about his game is his ability to evade forecheckers with ease to create space for himself on the breakout. That in particular should translate. I don’t mind if his offense never really translates to the pro game. Especially if his plus abilities via transition and entry defense do translate.

Last edited:

Provorov4Norris

Sep 28, 2017
I was surprised at Flahr’s answers re: Hogberg. Sure came across as they aren’t very high on him. I haven’t seen much of him at all, but I get the sense he must be a pretty passive player & quite lacking in strength.

agreed. I'm not sure why he wouldn't get playing time in LHV...it's not as if they had a number of defense prospects clogging up the works. I think Flyers fans are higher on Hogberg than maybe the Flyers are...

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
agreed. I'm not sure why he wouldn't get playing time in LHV...it's not as if they had a number of defense prospects clogging up the works. I think Flyers fans are higher on Hogberg than maybe the Flyers are...
It was conspicuous. Something is amiss. My guess — & it’s a total guess — is he must get shoved around.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hogberg was 20 in a man's league last year, so he may simply need to mature physically before they want to bring him to NA.
Sanheim took a few years to fill out, and is still working on adding strength at 23.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I see one person voted for Carson Twarynski. We now know Dave Hakstol's HF screenname. :sarcasm:

You all continue to be wrong

Just drafted players from the mid/late rounds always get overlooked in this poll. We haven't been following them closely. It's a yearly tradition. I'm as guilty as anyone.

Reactions: DancingPanther

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I see one person voted for Carsen Twarynski. We now know Dave Hakstol's HF screenname. :sarcasm:

Just drafted players from the mid/late rounds always get overlooked in this poll. We haven't been following them closely. It's a yearly tradition. I'm as guilty as anyone.

There's a good reason, if they had done anything exciting they wouldn't have been middle to late round picks.
They'll get their shot at 18 and 19 to make a mark and then they'll shoot up the rankings.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
You don't judge Defensemen by Points alone. The premise is DOA.

What made Sanheim's last WHL season special was not the number of Points he put up.

But how do you win games... by scoring more than your opponent!

Yes that is sarcasm as you should know by my thoughts on a possible Jake trade.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He gave stock answers- needed more time, needs to get stronger, no rush to bring him over, didn’t want him to struggle in NA this year (?!).

He did say he needed to play more which was a little odd considering that the Phantoms project to only dress one prospect on their blueline to start. They have nothing but time to give and I don’t think space is going to clear up after 2020. It’s probably only going to get more crowded.

Id have preferred Hogberg came over too.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
But how do you win games... by scoring more than your opponent!

Yes that is sarcasm as you should know by my thoughts on a possible Jake trade.
And by letting in fewer goals then the other team .You can score 10 goals but if you let in 11 you still lose .

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Id have preferred Hogberg came over too.

He did mention Hogberg needed to get stronger and he was playing on a good team/league for his development. I didn't get the impression that they are giving up on him or anything. More that they think he is in a good place for now. Hard to argue as the SHL is pretty darn good and our prospects have been doing well there.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad