2019-20 Around the League: Congratulations, Tampa

Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I mean, the team was led by two of the humblest guys in the game, and had a number of key pieces who were quiet/respected guys like Salo, Edler, Hamhuis... the fact that the media focused on Kesler/Burrows/Lapierre/Torres (most of whom aren't even "arrogant" per se, just annoying) was their choice, really. They also tried to smear Luongo as arrogant, pretty much out of thin air. I don't doubt it's the same thing with Vegas, though -- probably just a handful of loudmouths.

well the sedins may be humble in their own right but that was their team, so when, say, their line mate did something, i am not sure the captain and alt captain got to disown it in the eyes of other fanbases or teams.

and add bieksa to the chirpy pile. whether fairly or not, he was disliked by other fanbases. not to mention edler was and is a nasty player to go up against. even decent players like that in their own right with an edge tended to acquire a certain flavour from their teammates as far as other fanbases were concerned.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I see the Vegas window for winning a SC open for another year, age is starting to be a factor....Also, I dont see any upgrade on the hiring of deBoer over Gallant,
Pacioretty is such a choker.

Completely invisible when it mattered the most.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Thomas Drance's initiative to share every single chirp that he hears is really milking his unique position within the bubble with the league, and I bet that the league is never going to give him the chance again for it. He's definitely making enemies.

Why? There are plenty of reporters in the bubble. And the Athletic "Game of Chirps" articles have had others on the byline - Arpon Basu, Daniel Nugent-Bowman. Has anyone complained?

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Why? There are plenty of reporters in the bubble. And the Athletic "Game of Chirps" articles have had others on the byline - Arpon Basu, Daniel Nugent-Bowman. Has anyone complained?

Teams don't like when stuff that isn't usually heard gets heard, and even less when it's amplified. Just look at Botchford's article about Thornton's rooster remarks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Drance is one of the main media people for the league in the bubble, like he's been facilitating post game pressers right? That is a significant role given to him by the NHL. This just strikes me as something that will really irk the old boys' club. Just look at the satanic scrambler they put on all the live ice mics to intentionally garble the feed.

There is stuff that if said definitely needs to be heard, like the racially charged mutt remark made by Dallas which needs to be addressed.

Overall, its a little bit much for me. Some people probably love it, it adds more depth and vitriol to the game. I would vastly prefer to just hear it over the TV though instead of in captions or a written highlight reel. And I really just wish that people were good enough to not have it be an actual concern that the league would have to garble chirps said during a game out of worry that someone will cross the line

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Teams don't like when stuff that isn't usually heard gets heard, and even less when it's amplified. Just look at Botchford's article about Thornton's rooster remarks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Drance is one of the main media people for the league in the bubble, like he's been facilitating post game pressers right? That is a significant role given to him by the NHL. This just strikes me as something that will really irk the old boys' club. Just look at the satanic scrambler they put on all the live ice mics to intentionally garble the feed.

There is stuff that if said definitely needs to be heard, like the racially charged mutt remark made by Dallas which needs to be addressed.

Overall, its a little bit much for me. Some people probably love it, it adds more depth and vitriol to the game. I would vastly prefer to just hear it over the TV though instead of in captions or a written highlight reel. And I really just wish that people were good enough to not have it be an actual concern that the league would have to garble chirps said during a game out of worry that someone will cross the line

Drance doesn't work for the league, he works for the Athletic. There are tons of reporters in the bubble - IMac was, Dan Murphy was, etc.

Yeah, people got mad at Botch for the Thornton thing but no one's said anything about the chirps stuff as far as I know.

I'm not a huge fan of the chirps reports either, it was a novel at first, but now I find it kind of boring. But people seem to like it, and it must be hard to come up with content sealed away from the players with only sporadic zoom access in the bubble.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

The "mutt" thing is the exact kind of thing taken out of context that gets overblown. If people are going to get mad over that kind of thing then maybe it just shouldn't be reported.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Rick Dudley (age 71) is back in Florida - previously their GM from 2002-04, with a stint as coach in the latter of those two years.

He has been an executive with:

Buffalo
Ottawa
Tampa Bay
Florida
Atlanta
Toronto
Chicago
Montreal
Carolina

Even more impressive than the pure definition of "Old Boys Club" - the guy is the Mike Sillinger of NHL front offices. Is there anyone else who has been in the management group with more teams?

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
The "mutt" thing is the exact kind of thing taken out of context that gets overblown. If people are going to get mad over that kind of thing then maybe it just shouldn't be reported.
If the league is going to pretend to care about fighting racism then they have to at the very least educate their players about stuff like this, even if it wasn't framed within a racial context, it carries that weight with it and it has been used that way.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Rick Dudley (age 71) is back in Florida - previously their GM from 2002-04, with a stint as coach in the latter of those two years.

He has been an executive with:

Buffalo
Ottawa
Tampa Bay
Florida
Atlanta
Toronto
Chicago
Montreal
Carolina

Even more impressive than the pure definition of "Old Boys Club" - the guy is the Mike Sillinger of NHL front offices. Is there anyone else who has been in the management group with more teams?

sometimes when you watch the musical chairs you have to wonder if the norris era ever really ended.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
If the league is going to pretend to care about fighting racism then they have to at the very least educate their players about stuff like this, even if it wasn't framed within a racial context, it carries that weight with it and it has been used that way.

The comment was made towards William Carrier and had no racial context whatsoever. It's a complete zero.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
exactly. keep them outside and don't allow lateral passes.

but we did. we allowed a crap ton of high danger slot passes, esp on the PK. Beagle was just slow, and Demko was just stonewalling them.

Yer right. I'd way rather have Tyler Myers on the Canucks than Jamie Oleksiak.

Once again bandy... you speak the truth.

But I want to see Penny in Rogers Arena. Actually, a good comparable to Myers defensive style is Kevin Bahl in Jersey.

Brodin is good but not 6m for 7 years good

that is insane, six million you give to guys that can contribute on the offensive end, not his 28 pts. I hope Tanev is not expecting that.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
The comment was made towards William Carrier and had no racial context whatsoever. It's a complete zero.

What a low bar to set.

As a person who is half first nations and half white I was called a mutt all the time growing up. Imagine being a little kid hearing that the same shit you deal with in games or at school is taking place on the ice with the heroes you look up to. There is no escape.

As for who it was directed at or why, I don't really care frankly. Words carry meaning, f***ing choose better ones to use

Reactions: Momesso

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I mean, the team was led by two of the humblest guys in the game, and had a number of key pieces who were quiet/respected guys like Salo, Edler, Hamhuis... the fact that the media focused on Kesler/Burrows/Lapierre/Torres (most of whom aren't even "arrogant" per se, just annoying) was their choice, really. They also tried to smear Luongo as arrogant, pretty much out of thin air. I don't doubt it's the same thing with Vegas, though -- probably just a handful of loudmouths.

I don’t disagree but I think it’s worth mentioning that those fantastic and humble guys were not viewed that way across the league until very late in their careers.

oh they weren’t mouthy and arrogant assholes or anything but from fans and media external to Vancouver they were whiny sisters who didn’t play the game the right way. And then you had the other things.

I just think it’s hilarious Drance is making such a big deal out of very basic chirps. The only one I’ve seen that may go beyond a bit is chirping Virtanen when he was down but then again Virtanen went head hunting a couple of times so I’m not shocked.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
As a person who is half first nations and half white I was called a mutt all the time growing up. Imagine being a little kid hearing that the same shit you deal with in games or at school is taking place on the ice with the heroes you look up to. There is no escape.

As for who it was directed at or why, I don't really care frankly. Words carry meaning, f***ing choose better ones to use

I'm very sorry for you. I'm not going to go into my background but there are words that could be considered slurs against me and I would never take them as such if they were clearly not meant in that manner. If I were to call a white spy a "spook" I don't expect to be met with a right cross by some do-gooder deciding to interpret my words as racism.

Words do have meaning, that's why you should pay attention to how they are intended to be used rather than ascribing your own meaning to them when you aren't even involved in the interaction.

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
Tampa trying to be way too cute on that pp. Just pepper Varlamov and tire him out and seal the deal

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
It's not quantity, it's quality.

See piss knights.
Difference is Tampa has players that can actually score when it matters. With 4 minutes Of pp and 1:30 left in regulation I would think quantity would Trump quality in that case

Reactions: mathonwy

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Difference is Tampa has players that can actually score when it matters. With 4 minutes Of pp and 1:30 left in regulation I would think quantity would Trump quality in that case
TBH, I don't think the Isles actually gave the Bolts any clear shooting lanes but I wasn't watching close enough to say for sure.

Reactions: calnuck

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I can't cheer for the Isles, too many low event teams like this. And they're hooking and holding a ton. Tampa Bay has a better balance this year than any of their past years, so they're not just the same skilled team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad