Speculation: 2019-20 Anaheim Ducks Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Updated 6/23 (After Draft)

We've gotten a lot of news on changes happening within the Ducks org over the past few weeks. Wanted to summarize things, state where our current roster is at in both players and numbers, and list expectations on various things.

I'll start with the confirmed and expected changes. Links will not be from The Athletic, as they're not helpful for those that don't have the subscription.

Goodbye Perry
Perry has been bought out. He hasn't been worth his $8.625M contract in years, but I was hoping a good offseason of recovery and strengthening from his knee surgery would do him good, and he would come back as a 50 point player again. 20 goals/30 assists isn't worth almost 9 mil, but a net front presence is something we need.

We will pay him as follows:
  • 2019-20: $2.625M
  • 2020-21: $6.4M
  • 2021-22: $2.0M
  • 2022-23: $2.0M
Take A Year Off, Kesler
Kesler underwent hip resurfacing surgery in May. This means he'll likely be out the entirety of the 19-20 season at least. He will be put on LTIR at the start of the season, gaining $6.875M of cap space. His future is unknown beyond that, and he's signed through the 21-22 season.

Problem is, we won't get the cap space until the start of the season, meaning we can't make any meaningful trades or signings with that cap space until then.

Get Well Soon, Eaves
By soon, I mean sometime. Near the end of the season, Eaves had a recurrence of the illness he had over a year before, which included muscle-weakening. It's very likely he's played his last NHL game, and he's only signed through the end of the 19-20 season at a cap hit of $3.15M. He'll probably just be put on LTIR like Kesler.

Now for the new faces and those expected to make the roster for the upcoming season.

Welcome, HC Dallas Eakins
As of yesterday, Dallas Eakins is now the Ducks head coach. He is expected to herald in the youth movement, bring in a "new school" coaching style that involves communication, rolling 4 lines with short shifts, a high level of fitness, and providing an up-tempo game style that mostly looks to move the puck North whenever possible.

We'll mostly just have to see how things play out, but this is about as good of a transition for our Gulls kids as possible, and our savior Gibby is probably happy as well. Even Magnus sounds like he's bought in, per recent tweet.

Who are the assistant coaches? We'll have to wait a bit longer to find out, I guess.

Possibilities for Trade
Various names keep getting thrown out for shipping people out. Henrique, Fowler, Ritchie, etc.

Various names have been contemplated to bring in. There are too many for me to want to list. Sorry.

2019 Draft
The Ducks hold the following draft picks in 2019:
  • Round 1: #9 - C Trevor Zegras
  • Round 1: #29 (the Sharks pick) - LW Brayden Tracey
  • Round 2: #39 - D Jackson Lacombe
  • Round 3: None (given to Devils)
  • Round 4: #101 - D Henry Thrun
  • Round 5: #132 - C Trevor Janicke
  • Round 6: #163 - D William Francis
  • Round 6: #186 (from St. Louis) - D Mathew Hill
  • Round 7: None
This draft seems to be a solid one for the Ducks. In particular, Trevor Zegras has a high ceiling due to his vision, passing accuracy, edge work, power play quarterback prowess, and ability to improvise.

Expected Roster (my expectations and mostly likely options before any new signings)
  • LW: Rakell, Ritchie, Shore, Jones, Comtois
  • C: Getzlaf, Steel, Henrique, Rowney, Grant, Lundestrom
  • RW: Silfverberg, Kase, Terry, Sprong, Sherwood
  • D: Lindholm, Fowler, Manson, Guhle, Larsson, Holzer, Mahura
  • G: Gibson, Miller
Biggest needs: Top 4 D, eventual Getzlaf replacement, wings

Cap Space
So I'm including all of the above players in the below numbers except for Miller, who hasn't been re-signed at this time.

Including Kesler and Eaves, which is what has to be considered as our actual numbers against the cap until the start of the season, I have a total of $74.59M. (CapFriendly) Taking out the salaries of Kesler and Eaves, I have a number of $64.56M. Upper limit for the cap is $83M. Lower limit is $61.3M.

And that's it for now. Gotta see what's going to be happening in the next few weeks...the draft, trading Perry, possible other trades, etc. I AM excited to see the new team and new style, and curious to see how our vets fit in.

Last edited:

ShadowDuck

Captain Anaheim
May 19, 2011
Boston, MA
I think one of our wingers will be shipped out for our new top-4 defenseman, and it’s likely the #29 pick would be included.

Ritchie/Kase/Sprong (?)

Dman
3rd round pick

I think we can have a strong roster depending on how the trade will go down.

Ps: Considering Perry hasn’t been bought out yet, I have to imagine a trade is lined up, possibly announced during the draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: wraparound

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Im not sure which D are available anymore on trade. As for Perry. I doubt a trade is lined up. If it was they'd do it. More likely they will exhaust all options bwfore they buy him out on june 30th as a last resort.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Bob from the presser today:

"We have some vets here who are going to have to change some things. They're either going to change some things or they are not going to be part of this going forward."

Given that everybody knows Perry is already on the way out, just who is left that he could be talking about? Can't imagine it would be Getz and after that it's hard to use the term vet for too many guys. Ritchie of course seems to be in the doghouse from last year but I'd be hard pressed to call him a vet.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Getz,Rakell,Silf,Rico,Lindholm,Fowler,Manson, uhhh that’s all the “vets” I can think of. None of them strike me as the person he’s talking about.
Yeah, your finally coming over to my side. ;-) I can't honestly think of a "vet" who would fit that mold unless he considers Ritchie a vet.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Yeah, your finally coming over to my side. ;-) I can't honestly think of a "vet" who would fit that mold unless he considers Ritchie a vet.
i don't know if i'm on your side completely, still think this is just an empty threat from Bob especially when I have no idea who he can consider a vet that needs to change things.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Getz,Rakell,Silf,Rico,Lindholm,Fowler,Manson, uhhh that’s all the “vets” I can think of. None of them strike me as the person he’s talking about.
Those guys to a man had seasons that were, at best, poor. At worst, they were terrible. Other than Getz I'd say any of them could have had garbage attitudes.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Those guys to a man had seasons that were, at best, poor. At worst, they were terrible. Other than Getz I'd say any of them could have had garbage attitudes.
They did all have crappy seasons, but all have been considered hard workers and respected by the org. Fowler the future captain, Silf who was re-signed and held up as a positive example during a crappy season, Rico having been signed the summer before. That leaves Manson and Lindholm and I'd be surprised if they were considered guys who needed to change or be gone.

Edit: Let me exclude Silf from the crappy season group.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
I think one of our wingers will be shipped out for our new top-4 defenseman, and it’s likely the #29 pick would be included.

Ritchie/Kase/Sprong (?)

Dman
3rd round pick

I think we can have a strong roster depending on how the trade will go down.

Ps: Considering Perry hasn’t been bought out yet, I have to imagine a trade is lined up, possibly announced during the draft.
Let's lose Perry, Kesler and Ritchie as if the team wasn't soft enough fans want Ritchie traded

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Let's lose Perry, Kesler and Ritchie as if the team wasn't soft enough fans want Ritchie traded

Perry is already as good as gone. Kesler is gone. And for me, Ritchie is not a tough player per se so on the toughness factor, the names you listed don't do it for me. But you also thought the Gulls were super soft and Eakins preaches soft hockey without even knowing what you were talking about.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
They did all have crappy seasons, but all have been considered hard workers and respected by the org. Fowler the future captain, Silf who was re-signed and held up as a positive example during a crappy season, Rico having been signed the summer before. That leaves Manson and Lindholm and I'd be surprised if they were considered guys who needed to change or be gone.

Edit: Let me exclude Silf from the crappy season group.
Having been considered hard workers before doesn't make you exempt from criticism. In fact it would make a lapse in ethic seem more egregious.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I could see it being Rakell. I think Bob expected him to take a step forward in leadership last season

I'm pretty sure everyone here expected Rakell to take another step forward as well. Some were excited to see if he could evolve in to the next star in Anaheim.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
Rakell needs to step up this year. The Ducks chose Rakell over Karlsson and the latter has now passed him in the value chart.

He does have a nice contract though, so I cant complain too much.

wraparound

May 17, 2014
Rakell needs to step up this year. The Ducks chose Rakell over Karlsson and the latter has now passed him in the value chart.

And the value of that contract *could* be parlayed into a nice return package. I wouldn’t necessarily hate to see it
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

Has he though? Outside of Karlsson's outlier season last year, he hasn't out produced Rakell until last season and this year where he only had 13 more points in 13 more games played while Rakell played on a much worse offensive team. Let's also keep in mind that Karlsson only had 9 more goals than Rakell last season, they were both great last season. Might have more value because he's a center, but Rakell is also signed to a great contract while Karlsson is a RFA. Both players have turned into great players, don't feel bad about who we picked at all.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Perry is already as good as gone. Kesler is gone. And for me, Ritchie is not a tough player per se so on the toughness factor, the names you listed don't do it for me. But you also thought the Gulls were super soft and Eakins preaches soft hockey without even knowing what you were talking about.
Really? Other than Ritchie (who hardly fights) and Manson who can handle themselves on this current roster in a fight? Getzlaf? Talk about someone who doesn't know what they are talking about

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Really? Other than Ritchie (who hardly fights) and Manson who can handle themselves on this current roster in a fight? Getzlaf? Talk about someone who doesn't know what they are talking about

Oh Dirk. You truly confuse fighting and toughness. Keep playing your broken record. It’s actually entertaining at times.

Reactions: duckpuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad