Speculation: 2019-20 Anaheim Ducks Roster Discussion Part IIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
Like most of us, I have watched every game this season thus far, and my thoughts:

Terry - He's got the possession, deking, etc... skills at an NHL level - no doubt. However, his passes are never tape-to-tape they always seem to cause the receiver to settle the puck first which costs them better chances/goals. For a playmaker, he needs to improve his passing. Also, the times he does shoot, have mostly been at the goalie's chest, so better shot selection wouldn't hurt either.

Jones - Love his fore-checking, and think he's done a pretty good job not taking dumb penalties he was formerly known for. He seems to be the only guy driving the net some games, and I agree with Dirk I don't see what AHL time would help him with; he should remain with the big club and once he gets more experience I think the points will come.

Comtois - In the past few games, he's been very frequently in positions to score and whether through bad puck luck, strong goaltending, hard-to-receive passes or his own missed shots, he hasn't (goal yesterday aside). If anyone could use a quick confidence boost by going down for a bit, it's him - but the fact he's been in those positions in the first place is very promising.

Ritchie - I don't get how some people don't view him as one of our better forwards and would bench/trade him. He's been coming on stronger the past few games and he brings everything to the table as he can pass, forecheck, hit, shoot, screen...he should remain in our lineup and on a scoring line.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Like most of us, I have watched every game this season thus far, and my thoughts:

Terry - He's got the possession, deking, etc... skills at an NHL level - no doubt. However, his passes are never tape-to-tape they always seem to cause the receiver to settle the puck first which costs them better chances/goals. For a playmaker, he needs to improve his passing. Also, the times he does shoot, have mostly been at the goalie's chest, so better shot selection wouldn't hurt either.

Jones - Love his fore-checking, and think he's done a pretty good job not taking dumb penalties he was formerly known for. He seems to be the only guy driving the net some games, and I agree with Dirk I don't see what AHL time would help him with; he should remain with the big club and once he gets more experience I think the points will come.

Comtois - In the past few games, he's been very frequently in positions to score and whether through bad puck luck, strong goaltending, hard-to-receive passes or his own missed shots, he hasn't (goal yesterday aside). If anyone could use a quick confidence boost by going down for a bit, it's him - but the fact he's been in those positions in the first place is very promising.

Ritchie - I don't get how some people don't view him as one of our better forwards and would bench/trade him. He's been coming on stronger the past few games and he brings everything to the table as he can pass, forecheck, hit, shoot, screen...he should remain in our lineup and on a scoring line.

I think some of the negative comments about Ritchie are born from perception. If he wasn't a 10th overall pick who broke in at 20, I suspect he would get a bit more slack.

Reactions: Doothpick

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
I think some of the negative comments about Ritchie are born from perception. If he wasn't a 10th overall pick who broke in at 20, I suspect he would get a bit more slack.
I think it's more that he took a very noticeable step last year, only to start off this season very slowly, and almost looking like he regressed. He's certainly picked it up the past few games though. Comtois' goal was because Ritchie put himself in good position to begin with. Maybe he's just one of those guys that will always be a slow starter for whatever reason, and it's frustrating.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Lindholm Larsson
Guhle Fowler
MDZ Gudbs

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Lindholm-Gudbranson
Guhle-Fowler
Larsson-MDZ

I’m not sure how often you’ve seen Gudbranson play but if he’s playing top pairing minutes with Lindholm we are screwed. He has some good qualities but playing him on the shutdown pairing is setting him up to fail.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
I think it's more that he took a very noticeable step last year, only to start off this season very slowly, and almost looking like he regressed. He's certainly picked it up the past few games though. Comtois' goal was because Ritchie put himself in good position to begin with. Maybe he's just one of those guys that will always be a slow starter for whatever reason, and it's frustrating.
No he was annoyingly bashed and put into every duck trade proposal on this forum well before the season started
He had been one of the best forwards this year as well other than the bad penalty

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
No he was annoyingly bashed and put into every duck trade proposal on this forum well before the season started
He had been one of the best forwards this year as well other than the bad penalty
C'mon, the fat, lazy, and stupid narrative is so fun and easy to repeat. Ducks drafted a guy tenth in the first round and he's not a 30 goal scorer. What a loser!

MCB

Jun 21, 2019
What about bringing sprong back up, the one thing he is good at is scoring and it's definitely a need.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
So I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned this report. Its sports net and Luke Fox and I'm not sure how reliable they are but rumors like that are always fun to discuss.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
So I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned this report. Its sports net and Luke Fox and I'm not sure how reliable they are but rumors like that are always fun to discuss.

No thanks. He’s someone that a Cup challenger makes a trade for, not us. We can have a shot during the off-season.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
No thanks. He’s someone that a Cup challenger makes a trade for, not us. We can have a shot during the off-season.
Hard to argue we couldn't use the scoring now. Doesnt he have a history with Fowler too? The thing about trading him is that you can include money going back. Though generally I agree. Get him in the off-season for free and send the assets elsewhere for something else. We need.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Hard to argue we couldn't use the scoring now. Doesnt he have a history with Fowler too? The thing about trading him is that you can include money going back. Though generally I agree. Get him in the off-season for free and send the assets elsewhere for something else. We need.

he won’t come here in the off-season for two reasons; 1) he wants to compete in the playoffs (we’re not there) and 2) teams will absolutely out bid us.

yes he’ll boost our scoring but only for this season until he leaves in the offseason. No point in trading for an expensive rental

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Hall is the kind of guy a cup contender would pay high for at the deadline. We aren't that so there is no point in acquiring him unless you had an extension in place, which I seriously doubt we could get. If Bob is really willing to pay him then pursue him in the summer for free.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Well the good thing is, if we had traded part-time hockey player Kase for Faulk we couldn't have afforded the emergency services of Gudbranson, so really this is the best possible outcome.

Would there have been a need for the emergency services of Gud if Faulk was part of the roster? I don't think so. Without Manson, we'd still be rocking a top-3 of Lindholm-Fowler-Faulk. Gud was a healthy scratch until an injury occurred for the Penguins.

With that said, Faulk's 8-year contract (a 7-year extension worth $6.5 mil a year that starts in 2020-21 season) is far more difficult to swallow than Gud's two-year contract at $4 mil a year. I hope Guhle has a bounce back game after returning a bit lost in his first game back from injury. We're gonna need both Guhle and Larsson to take bigger steps in their games this year.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
He's going to want $9 million+, we can't afford that.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Hall would probably want to sign long term with a regular playoff team given how his NHL career has gone so far. There is zero chance he signs a long term contract in Anaheim given where we are in the retool right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad