Prospect Info: 2019 1st Round Pick: Philip Broberg Part 4 (Assigned To Oilers Taxi Squad 5/2/21)

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I have no clue what's going on with Broberg. But I'm not surprised cause I have no idea what's happening with Bouchard either.

Reactions: Broberg Speed

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
I have no clue what's going on with Broberg. But I'm not surprised cause I have no idea what's happening with Bouchard either.
I don't have any stats to back me up, but just from watching every single game this season it seems like he's carried the puck out of the defensive zone and through the neutral zone a lot less this season. He also have been less noticeable with the puck on his stick since the WJC.

He's playing much smarter in his own zone though with lots of board battles won by quick short passes to teammates.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Broberg played under 6 minutes in their game yesterday. 10 minutes the game before. This is troubling. He was leading the way at the start of the season. We have seen a monumental collapse in his development it seems like.

Reactions: Aerchon

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Broberg played under 6 minutes in their game yesterday. 10 minutes the game before. This is troubling. He was leading the way at the start of the season. We have seen a monumental collapse in his development it seems like.
I recall major concerns with Klefbom as well. In that league it is hard to tell

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
There was no injury on that play I hope? That could've been really bad had he landed on the back of Broberg's knee or something. Dangerous stuff.
No, in theory no, it was a couple a games ago and he's still playing. With very much reduced icetime though... :skeptic:

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Playoffs can be a different animal though. Even Moritz Seider, who was in the discussion for best D overall in the SHL this season, has seen reduced ice time. Now in the playoffs he's often 4-5th on his team in TOI among Ds.

Anyhow, it's pretty odd yes. Hopefully he's healthy. At least then he can come over and maybe get a couple of AHL games under his belt once the SHL season is over.

Last edited:

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
Playoffs can be a different animal though. Even Moritz Seider, who was in the discussion for best D overall in the SHL this season, has seen refuced ice time. Now in the playoffs he's often 4-5th on his team in TOI among Ds.

Anyhow, it's pretty odd yes. Hopefully he's healthy. At least then he can come over and maybe get a couple of AHL games under his belt once the SHL season is over.
Thanks for the info LuGu - I was wondering how he was comparing to Seider. This is a concerning trend for Broberg, so hopefully he finishes the year strong and gets into the AHL next year.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I'm really getting impatient on the Broberg/Bouchard front

two back to back top 10 picks and one is sitting in a press box not given the opportunity to play even though god knows he deserves it while the other is still looking like 2 years away minimum which is horrible

Reactions: Blue Line Turnover

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017

two back to back top 10 picks and one is sitting in a press box not given the opportunity to play even though god knows he deserves it while the other is still looking like 2 years away minimum which is horrible

I think the impatience with Broberg is unwarranted. Frustration with his SHL minutes/performance, sure.
  • If Klefbomb is cleared/doesn't get claimed, we just added veteran D to our core.
  • Jones and Lagesson are paving their way to the NHL. Have looked good in moments here and there, and will get better with experience. One could get claimed, but they haven't stepped in and taken the 2LD job and wow'd everyone, so who knows.
  • Samorukov had a great season in the KHL, I feel that he's NHL ready.
  • We have KRussell signed for one more year, we have a veteran to step into the bottom pairing when needed.
On top of that, in drafting Broberg we knew that he was a very raw prospect with immense physical tools/attributes.

So... what's the rush when we have depth on LD? I'm glad we can afford to 'slow-cook' his development. In fact, I actually prefer he is 2 years away as it gives us a chance to see what we have in Samorukov next season as opposed to him getting bumped by Broberg, not seeing many opportunities, and seeing a great prospect thrive in another organization.

In regards to Bouchard, I'm frustrated. I hate to make the comparison, it is dramatic, but I hope this isn't the beginnings of a JP-like development mess. It's not at all the same, but I'm thinking of the outcome (not implying Bouch would run to Finland lol) just a general 'distaste' for the organization. We've had back-to-backs where it makes sense throwing Bouchard in, the coach hasn't done that. The quarantine throws a wrench into things, because if you send him down and an injury occurs on RD, he has to quarantine before stepping in after being called up.

Last edited:

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
There was no injury on that play I hope? That could've been really bad had he landed on the back of Broberg's knee or something. Dangerous stuff.

I've noticed that, with the big ice, certain dump-ins are a lot more dangerous than they would be on the smaller NHL ice; Broberg had to travel much farther than the forechecker into the far corner
Also, dude definitely leaves his feet on that hit; he probably would have to answer to Nurse, Kassian, or Khaira in a fight for that

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

What are you talking about? Lmao rookies don't often play a lot of minutes in that league. Klefbom didn't either. Only Dahlin did if I remember correctly. Monumental collapse in development? Lol wow

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Im fine with defence prospects taking time but having Bouchard rot in the press box is just stupid. He hasn’t cost the team a game yet so at least try to get him in every third game.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Here's the tough part of teenager development in a pro league. Bench is shortened to win and Broberg sits. Just how it is. It's time to get Broberg to North American for next step development under Oiler control. Bakersfield and Dave Manson await this high toolsy top prospect.

Good to see him take and shrug off that long run hit in the corner. Gotta see a lot more of that in North America. Big, strong kid though whose only going to get bigger as he matures.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
We have such depth on LD now that we can let Broberg simmer and really prioritize his development. If he pans out he could be tremendously valuable to the Oilers for many many years.

All thumbs up on the drafting front lately so I think as long as we’re grabbing good players our pipeline should be good no matter how far away certain players are. We were shallow on forwards but with the drafting of Holloway, Savoie and the continued progression of Lavoie, McLeod and Benson I think even that can’t really be considered a weakness anymore.

The only thing we need now is a true #1 goaltender prospect but that position is so hit and miss that maybe one of our current guys pan out. Even Skinner has been solid since he got sent back down.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
And this is the exact reason I continually bleat about not being happy with ANY of our prospect sstaying in Europe as opposed to coming over here and playing junior, or heck even college for that matter.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
And this is the exact reason I continually bleat about not being happy with ANY of our prospect sstaying in Europe as opposed to coming over here and playing junior, or heck even college for that matter.

Personally, I'm not too fussed about it. Given covid reality last year and this year his development would have been crushed for two years had he opted for the OHL. So the bench has shrunk as his pro team knuckles under to win playoff games. The body of work as a teenager with three years of pro development is a good foundation. He'll now get next phase personal development support within the organization and with coaches who are beginning to produce NHL d-men and players. Slow cook for big, raw and compelling young blueline prospect.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
We have such depth on LD now that we can let Broberg simmer and really prioritize his development. If he pans out he could be tremendously valuable to the Oilers for many many years.

All thumbs up on the drafting front lately so I think as long as we’re grabbing good players our pipeline should be good no matter how far away certain players are. We were shallow on forwards but with the drafting of Holloway, Savoie and the continued progression of Lavoie, McLeod and Benson I think even that can’t really be considered a weakness anymore.

The only thing we need now is a true #1 goaltender prospect but that position is so hit and miss that maybe one of our current guys pan out. Even Skinner has been solid since he got sent back down.
Keep in mind Broberg has played a lot on the right side rather than the left, and might be an option on the right side. I'm not sure if he plays the right side out of preference but he played the right side at the Hlinka and U20's, and I'm pretty sure he played the right side in Sweden this year. I'd like to see him in the AHL asap to adjust to the time and space of NA hockey.

Reactions: Oilhawks

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011

I don't see the concerns with how SHL teams churn out NHL D men at all tbh. This has been the path for the vast majority of swedish D in the NHL other than freaks of nature like Hedman who was a 25 year old man already at 16 and I'd say it seems to be working fairly well as a development path.

It's not like he hasn't been getting a regular shift, he's averaged over 17 minutes a night, 5th on the team, despite having his season messed up by the dragged out World Juniors and getting injured there. After returning his ice time took a hit but it's not like 6 minutes a night has been the norm.
I'd argue the SHL is a far better spot to develop as a young D than playing juniors or college hockey as long as you get a regular shift. Which he has. It's a high paced, tactically focused league with little room for error. I think for young forwards there’s an argument that they'd develop better getting comfortable with their offensive game against lesser competition where you get to have the puck on your stick a lot rather than playing a minor role in the bottom six but for D they learn to play a proper pro game and sharpen their decision making.

The SHL playoffs is tough on teenagers though, SHL coaches, like other pro coaches, tend to go vet heavy. As was mentioned, even Moritz Seider who's an absolute beast has seen his ice time cut a couple of minutes and his team rolled the opposing team in an easy sweep while Broberg's team has played four tight low scoring games in a series that's tied at two so zero room for error which means a lot of playing veterans.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
This is his last year in Sweden right? Is he committed to NA next year?

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
This is his last year in Sweden right? Is he committed to NA next year?

Holland has confirmed he will be in NA next season. Hopefully he will be able to join the Oilers as a black ace for the playoffs if his immigration issues get sorted, but those same issues made it impossible to get Berglund over to the Condors so who knows.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

AS I said in the other thread...we need to be patient with Broberg.. I think he will be good. I like my Swedes--but even I did not like this pick because he was nowhere near being ready for the AHL let alone the NHL.

I have him ready for the AHL 22/23 and NHL 23/24

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
AS I said in the other thread...we need to be patient with Broberg.. I think he will be good. I like my Swedes--but even I did not like this pick because he was nowhere near being ready for the AHL let alone the NHL.

I have him ready for the AHL 22/23 and NHL 23/24
Should just trade him if this is the timeline. Get someone good right away considering the timeline and the position he plays.

Rakell? Batherson?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad