Prospect Info: 2019 1st Round Pick: Philip Broberg Part 4 (Assigned To Oilers Taxi Squad 5/2/21)

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Yes, I also would like to add that his team is winning, a lot. They won 11 straight so maybe they had a system and didn't want to change it. Before Christmas they often had a more clear 1st and 2nd pair, since then no (only talking stats / TOI).

Now they lost a couple games so who knows. Time to release Broberg!

Reactions: McTonyBrar

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Only 16 minutes yesterday, still fourth in ice time for D so it's not like they've pushed him down the lineup. Had 4 SOG, was even in a 3-6 loss. No points. Pretty solid statline tbh but didn't see the game so not sure if it was reflective of his play.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Seems like he is playing fine.
Points wise the difference between last year and this year is that single 3 point game he had, which is fine progress wise. Getting not a ton of minutes and his +/- is bad but havent seen the games in a long while so don't know if it's luck or if he is earning those minuses.

Tippetts Mustache

Jan 16, 2021
Watched him against Brynäs today, played 16 minutes. Didn't play on the PP and got one shift late on a PK.

Exceptional around his own blue line, denying multiple entries into the zone with his gap and fantastic reach. His play with the puck was below average, missing multiple passes, hitting teammates in the skates etc. Showed off a good IQ in the o-zone with his movement, but didn't receive the puck much.

Always willing to jump up in the play when Skellefteå won back the puck. Showcased his skating at times, lugging the puck around, but made subpar passes. Pretty tentative along the boards in the d-zone, got bumped off by smaller guys in 1 on 1s. The game went to OT, got the second shift and fumbled the puck a bit.

Not a great showing in my book, I'd try to get him to the AHL in the spring so that Dave Manson can work his magic on him.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I’m almost relieved to hear he’s been just okay lately. In my opinion the best case scenario is him making his NHL debut in the 22/23 NHL season, and this might help the fan base take a more patient approach after so many were convinced he was NHL ready after the play in training camp.

Ideally we’re bringing along 1 rookie on an ELC per year from this season forward.

would like to see him in the AHL next year for a full season and start getting the Bouchard treatment of some sheltered minutes the season following.

2021 - Bouchard
2021/22 - Samo
2022/23 - Broberg

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Do we have anything new on Broberg?

Stauffer and Spector were both saying that they have Broberg playing pretty quick here? That seems ridiculous without AHL time from what I've seen of him.

Last edited:

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Do we have anything new on Broberg?

Stauffer and Spector were both saying that they have Broberg playing pretty quick here? That seems ridiculous without AHL time from what I've seen of him.
Did you watch his Europe games or just the WJC? Don't forget that he was injured at the WJC

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Did you watch his Europe games or just the WJC? Don't forget that he was injured at the WJC

I know he was injured at the WJCs - and he certainly wasn't looking ready in that bubble game either but that was longer ago - but we talk all the time about giving our D-men as much time to develop as possible, and look at how many people were on Bear/Jones last game, two young guys who are going through a harder time right now.

Why would we jump Broberg to the NHL? It's not like he's lighting up the SHL or is the clear dominant guy there. I would be giving him the development time.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I know he was injured at the WJCs - and he certainly wasn't looking ready in that bubble game either but that was longer ago - but we talk all the time about giving our D-men as much time to develop as possible, and look at how many people were on Bear/Jones last game, two young guys who are going through a harder time right now.

Why would we jump Broberg to the NHL? It's not like he's lighting up the SHL or is the clear dominant guy there. I would be giving him the development time.
I don't want him to jump into the NHL either. Stauffer is talking out of his medi chicken butt. Broberg, if he comes over from SHL, should play at least 1 season in the AHL. If he does so-so to average, then another full season in the AHL. DO NOT rush this kid

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I’m almost relieved to hear he’s been just okay lately. In my opinion the best case scenario is him making his NHL debut in the 22/23 NHL season, and this might help the fan base take a more patient approach after so many were convinced he was NHL ready after the play in training camp.

Ideally we’re bringing along 1 rookie on an ELC per year from this season forward.

would like to see him in the AHL next year for a full season and start getting the Bouchard treatment of some sheltered minutes the season following.

2021 - Bouchard
2021/22 - Samo
2022/23 - Broberg

I'd actually rather just leave him in Sweden for another year, then the AHL in 22-23, then the NHL is 23-24.

Reactions: McCombo

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I'd actually rather just leave him in Sweden for another year, then the AHL in 22-23, then the NHL is 23-24.

Disagree, he's had three years of professional league development in Europe. Broberg needs to move to North American for development under the Oiler's control most specifically enrolled in Dave Manson finishing school and playing the pro style game (& rink size) different than SHL.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Disagree, he's had three years of professional league development in Europe. Broberg needs to move to North American for development under the Oiler's control most specifically enrolled in Dave Manson finishing school and playing the pro style game (& rink size) different than SHL.

Yeah, there is definitely something to be said for getting used to the smaller rink size, and maybe playing more minutes in the AHL. I'm not really strongly on the SHL or AHL side, as much as I am on the "not the NHL" side, if that makes sense.

Reactions: Aerchon

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Yeah, there is definitely something to be said for getting used to the smaller rink size, and maybe playing more minutes in the AHL. I'm not really strongly on the SHL or AHL side, as much as I am on the "not the NHL" side, if that makes sense.

I think most important is getting him into the organization where his development is paramount versus a Euro pro club team where priority is winning games. Bakersfield is about getting its players ready for NHL and Dave Manson is really solid with young defensemen. The North American style of play, travel and rink size are all elements in the next phase of Broberg's development. Ultimately Broberg himself will assert for a big part in where he plays and for how long.

Reactions: CarlWising and zar

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

SEL is a little easier league than the AHL and nothing prepares a player more for 80 NHL games better than 7o AHL games. I like Sweden for development for sure but physically he is definitely ready for more challenging competition.

Reactions: Aerchon

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
SEL is a little easier league than the AHL and nothing prepares a player more for 80 NHL games better than 7o AHL games. I like Sweden for development for sure but physically he is definitely ready for more challenging competition.
All the top 8 SHL teams would kick any AHL team's butt in a 7 game series. Yes, it's less physical, but the SHL is the fastest league in Europe, requires MUCH more skating ability and endurance and you don't play against scrubs in the bottom 6.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Had this kid played a season on a NA rink yet? We need to get him ready for NHL action. That starts with AHL next year. We have a good program going on down there.
He will go overseas when Skellefteå AIK has either won gold or been eliminated.

Reactions: LaGu

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Anyone see him today?

Heard he is battling injuries again? Worrisome.
Looked soft occasionally and especially behind the net on the first goal against.

To me, it looks like he's trying to play as simple as possible most of the time in the defensive zone (not by throwing pucks out just to get them out since the team basically always wants pass out of the defensive zone, but trying to do simple passes all the time) and doesn't skate with the puck through neutral and into the offensive zone like he did before WJC.

Reactions: Paralyzer008

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Looked soft occasionally and especially behind the net on the first goal against.

To me, it looks like he's trying to play as simple as possible most of the time in the defensive zone (not by throwing pucks out just to get them out since the team basically always wants pass out of the defensive zone, but trying to do simple passes all the time) and doesn't skate with the puck through neutral and into the offensive zone like he did before WJC.
Seems like a mix of injuries and the WJC really knocked him down a peg. Hopefully he bounces back.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

CarlWising

Jun 4, 2018
I’ve watched AHL games and I have watched SHL games and the SHL is clearly tougher when it comes to quality of play. That said, the AHL is a development league and that is where Broberg should be.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Seems like a mix of injuries and the WJC really knocked him down a peg. Hopefully he bounces back.

Some general white noise from me.

His play at the WJC was very concerning in that it looked like he was not a cerebral player or a physical player and obviously the latter hopefully due to injury.

Get him in the AHL. Hopefully he gets healthy and we can finally see what we have in him.

I hated the pick over Zegras, still do, possibly always will, but I hate not having more information on the prospect. SEL was a good place for him but from reports over the last 2 years there I really don't even have a clue what kind of defenseman he will be at the nhl level.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00