GDT: 2018 WJC • Game 31 • Gold: SWE (1) - CAN (3) F

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
And that is why your players and some of your fans go on like they do, they have the press spewing crap to them and of course they swallow it all no questions asked and then they get locked into the victim role.

And then they keep losing. I guess I should be happy for this attitude really, it works in our favour.

Soft mental midgets.

Reactions: jj cale

EP40 AKA Lil Wayne

May 9, 2013
I dont know what they say aboot Canada, except that the people there are supposed to be polite. Obviously not true based on this thread :laugh:
I think John Wayne was a pirate.

From my experience as a swede that has stayed in Canada for a year, canadians are super polite, sorry is used in every other sentence. Swedes behave like heathens in compared to canadians when comes to conversation. I'd say we are more diplomatic though. They get heated quicker and especially when it comes to hockey, trolling co-workers after WJC gold in 2012 almost went bad :laugh:

This is why we are talking about a 17 year old bitching in an interview(Yeah, even though the translation was kind of bad he went a bit overboard but the wording does not really do him justice and then there is the nuances). Even a person who consider himself mastering english is not even as good as a 12 year old who speaks english as first language and the translation was not done by someone who is even close to mastering english . One of the better examples of how hard it is to translate is Trumps speeches. A translator says experts can't figure out how to translate Trump

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Okay, so, I'm new in this community and with my hockey-fandom. I guess I am still learning.
The first thing I'll tell you is that the idea that Sweden was wronged by the officiating or Canada is absurd.
Why I decided to give this clarification on the translation was my feeling that a lot of people here are judging a 17-year-old very harshly for words said in an interview right after a disappointing match with some - at least how I read a couple of comments in here as well - questionable penalties stating that they will hate this kid forever and blowing his words out of proportion (my opinion in this case, but only referring to what he actually said and how it is paraphrased here... not to the subject of the penalties itself, because as I said I am new to hockey-fandom and do not believe that I can pass judgement on penalties yet...).
If you watch the interview with an unbiased mind and the ability to actually understand what he says, you will realise that he doesn't want to say anything bad at first, but is pushed into commenting by the reporter and then he kind of beats around the bush in a very calm and hesitant way saying that Canada got all the penalties for playing a certain way the Swedes are not used to and regard as unfair and if the Canucks would have played how hockey is supposed to be played (according to Dahlin) the game might have been different, but "I don't know" (quote Dahlin)... and when asked why Sweden didn't start "diving", too, he simply says: It's not how we play hockey because it does not belong in hockey.
I don't see the odious part here.
First, accusing your opponent of diving is really poor form. Even if they did! But in this case they simply didn't. It was a well played and honest game. Second suggesting that your country had a higher standard of sportsmanship while exhibiting poor sportsmanship (Oskar Steen slash vs USA, Dahlin stick smashing on the boards like a baby, Gustafsson slash, Andersson's medal toss, Brannstrom refusing to shake hands, Dahlin and Pettersson interviews) is pretty gauling. Sweden earned every penalty and are angry that Canada didn't join them in being undisciplined.
As for your last question: there is criticism in Swedish newspapers and television about how the coach handled the situation after the match by not giving an interview.
SVT-profilens kritik – mot svenska tv-nobben
But Montén is also quoted saying his guys did the best they could and that he is proud of them.
On the other hand there are articles complaining about the Canadian way of playing, too. So, I would say it was not only the team and its coaches who viewed the refs' job as unfair...
Sverige straffas hårt av domarna — SVT-experten pekar ut kanadensare som filmare
Tankar efter finalen: Hart var ryggraden i Kanada - JVM 2018 - Junior-VM | SvenskaFans.com
Luleås Filip Gustavsson efter JVM-förlusten: Känns tomt - P4 Norrbotten
If you want me to translate, let me know ;-)
Thank you I'll read these, I think I'll get the jist with Google translate and try not to jump to any conclusions. If there's video and you have time to paraphrase... :)

I'm fascinated by all of this as an example of delusion... either mine or, apparently, the whole country of Sweden's, because I can't begin to reconcile their impression of the game with mine, which I've rewatched the key parts of many times now.

I'm not a "my country (or team), right or wrong" type, so I'm sincerely looking for the evidence that would justify the complaint of diving. You'd think I'd get a bit of it, if there was anything; someone breaking down a play like I did the Dahlin trip (in effort to de-demonize him, by the way). Nobody has offered anything. We know Timmins should have got a penalty (on the play Pettersson flopped), that's it.

So I'm left wondering what is in the collective Swedish psyche that has them holding such a twisted perspective, defending poor behaviour and insults made by their team... and, well, just wrong.

I'm sure I'm seeing things with some bias (but trying hard not to) but the difference is just so far apart that we aren't just talking about a matter of interpretation.

Last edited:

blindpass

May 7, 2010
I dont know what they say aboot Canada, except that the people there are supposed to be polite. Obviously not true based on this thread :laugh:
I dont think John Wayne was a pirate.

Some of us are polite enough not to try to discredit an honest opponent to protect our shattered egos. Not sure about over there, I'm still holding out hope...

blindpass

May 7, 2010
On another note: almost every article in Swedish newspapers that I could find on the internet praised Canada for the game and the win, and only three also mentioned that the Canadian's way of playing wasn't the best in terms of sportsmanship... I couldn't find any venom in those articles.
But isn't suggesting the was a weakness in their sportsmanship venom in and of itself? These are professional journalists? I saw in the links you pointed Mikael Renberg added his voice, it is just so disappointing to see all this.

When the articles quote the 22-2 penalty minute stat to make their case you know all sincerity has gone out the window, 12 of those minutes were a misconduct and penalty after Sweden had given up! It was 5-1 and I'm still waiting for any evidence that this want close to right, 5-2 could be argued. This is all besides the point that it is just really poor form accuse your opponent of systematically diving without a substantial reason -- they have none.

I've always liked and respected Sweden hockey but this is definitely putting a dent in that reputation.

Reactions: Future GOAT

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Congrats to Team Canada on their win Friday night, very solid tourney for a team I didn't think would win gold. Wonder if this starts another era of dominance in junior hockey for Canada.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I dont think John Wayne was a pirate.

He wanted to be...

true-grit-john-wayne-560.jpg

ATTACH]

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-7_18-22-13.png
    upload_2018-1-7_18-22-13.png
    297.9 KB · Views: 1

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Last years semi wasn't any different.

Here is a clear example. If it doesn't start at 1:03:50 automatic just fast forward to it

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Is this showing Sweden's lack of discipline or good imagination?

Soft ol' Canadian boys. He knew what was coming after that late check but decided to fall down easily.

There is more though. Lots of situtions infront of goal where the Canadians hit the deck easy

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Soft ol' Canadian boys. He knew what was coming after that late check but decided to fall down easily.

There is more though. Lots of situtions infront of goal where the Canadians hit the deck easy
You guys keep doubling down on this sore loser shit. You had to go back to last year to find this weak example? That was certainly a weaker penalty call than anything in the final this year, I'll give you that. Calling it a dive when he's pinned by one player then pushed by another, I mean maybe, but this isn't manufacturing a penalty. The infraction happened and only a dumbass would blame the other team or the ref rather than not do it.

Answer this: how is calling Canada out for diving justified when none of the penalties involved a dive except Kyrou (and it was a penalty anyway) and Brannstrom?

I honestly couldn't tell what point you were trying to make or what team you supported from the video.

Last edited:
Reactions: Future GOAT

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
The first thing I'll tell you is that the idea that Sweden was wronged by the officiating or Canada is absurd.
I don't dare to have a strong opinion on this yet, since I am still trying to get a grip of hockey. If you say so, I'll just have to believe (or doubt) you. Guess for now it is the former ;-)

First, accusing your opponent of diving is really poor form. Even if they did! But in this case they simply didn't. It was a well played and honest game. Second suggesting that your country had a higher standard of sportsmanship while exhibiting poor sportsmanship (Oskar Steen slash vs USA, Dahlin stick smashing on the boards like a baby, Gustafsson slash, Andersson's medal toss, Brannstrom refusing to shake hands, Dahlin and Pettersson interviews) is pretty gauling. Sweden earned every penalty and are angry that Canada didn't join them in being undisciplined.

I agree with you to 100% that tossing a medal (or even skating up to the official with your helmet still on for the medal ceremony) is disrespectful to a very huge extent. I know people say you do not win silver you lose gold. However, a lot of kids wish they would be in their place and to show such disregard for what they achieved even when losing the final game is stooping very low. Same goes for refusing to shake hands. As for the interviews and what was said in those I still tend to give Dahlin and Pettersson the credit of being young, inexperienced with media, overwhelmed with bad emotions and not having learned to cope with disappointment in a mature way yet - after all, those guys are kids still! In particular with the Dahlin interview I think he was pressured into saying things he didn't want to say at first by the journalist. He even said he doesn't want to pass blame but then she probes on and on... I don't think any of us would have done so much better in a similar situation.
What I find more outrageous than Dahlin's interview is the fact that Montén didn't show up to face the media! That coach is definitely not a role model here.

Thank you I'll read these, I think I'll get the jist with Google translate and try not to jump to any conclusions. If there's video and you have time to paraphrase... :)

I'm fascinated by all of this as an example of delusion... either mine or, apparently, the whole country of Sweden's, because I can't begin to reconcile their impression of the game with mine, which I've rewatched the key parts of many times now.... So I'm left wondering what is in the collective Swedish psyche that has them holding such a twisted perspective, defending poor behaviour and insults made by their team... and, well, just wrong.

I can try to find video footage with Swedish comments, but it may take a day or two and then gladly paraphrase that, too. On the newspapers I just want to say, that these were the only three articles I could find that had a sentence or max. two of underlying criticism against Canada out of more than fifteen I looked through... so overall Swedish media wasn't criticizing Canada and nowhere did I find justification for Andersson's misbehaviour. I do believe one or two articles even mentioned that this is not how you should deal with a loss like that... but I can go check the newspapers for that again.
In conclusion, I wouldn't go as far as to say "the whole country of Sweden" is delusional about the game and that the "collective Swedish psyche" has a twistesd perspective.

From what I gathered in this thread alone is that Sweden was playing pretty good, especially during those PKs, so I guess disappointment with the unlucky outcome of the game is justified. That doesn't mean I espouse the veiled or unveiled accusations against Canada. I just find it remarkable how people who clearly favoured the game's winner can get so worked up over a teenager saying stupid things in a post-game interview.

As I said before: this was just a hockey game, Canada won, the next tournament is coming up, let's just all calm down! ;-)

blindpass

May 7, 2010
I just find it remarkable how people who clearly favoured the game's winner can get so worked up over a teenager saying stupid things in a post-game interview.

As I said before: this was just a hockey game, Canada won, the next tournament is coming up, let's just all calm down! ;-)

I've witnessed plenty of embarrassing thing from Canadian teams. I'm worked up over this because this team acted with dignity and class the whole way and especially in the final. They won without a true star player, by playing as a team and discipline was without a doubt a huge factor in the final game. The Canadian who took the one penalty barely played again.

I don't want to vilify the kids, but something is really wrong over there for them to feel how they do, think they can act as they did and for so much acceptance of it.

Edit: fix autocorrect

Last edited:
Reactions: snipes and jj cale

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
You guys keep doubling down on this sore loser ****. You had to go back to last year to find this weak example? That was certainly a weaker penalty call than anything in the final this year, I'll give you that. Calling it a dive when he's pinned by one player then pushed by another, I mean maybe, but this isn't manufacturing a penalty. The infraction happened and only a dumbass would blame the other team or the ref rather than not do it.

Answer this: how is calling Canada out for diving justified when none of the penalties involved a dive except Kyrou (and it was a penalty anyway) and Brannstrom?

I honestly couldn't tell what point you were trying to make or what team you supported from the video.

First of all you haven’t seen a single post of me complaining about Canadians diving this year, because I didn’t feel that way when I watched the game (besides maybe once or twice when I was a little sceptic, but that happens basically every game. Last years semi was terrible though). However I felt the refs missed a few penalties Canada easily could have gotten. This post was just a reference to the discussion currently going on about Dahlins comments, maybe I worded it a little wrong in the first post.

Yeah obviously, this tournament is only once a year so I just went back to the most recent one. And it’s more in that video, I just don’t have the time or interest to go through the entire game.

That’s exactly what I would call manufacturing a penalty. Goes in for a late check, knows a response will come and then just acts like his been shot. Smart play but not something I want to see in hockey.

For this game I’m not saying it was an undeserved win, it was a quite even game and Canada did what they usually do the best, make it happen when it really matters, something Sweden rarely does.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
First of all you haven’t seen a single post of me complaining about Canadians diving this year, because I didn’t feel that way when I watched the game (besides maybe once or twice when I was a little sceptic, but that happens basically every game. Last years semi was terrible though). However I felt the refs missed a few penalties Canada easily could have gotten. This post was just a reference to the discussion currently going on about Dahlins comments, maybe I worded it a little wrong in the first post.

Yeah obviously, this tournament is only once a year so I just went back to the most recent one. And it’s more in that video, I just don’t have the time or interest to go through the entire game.

That’s exactly what I would call manufacturing a penalty. Goes in for a late check, knows a response will come and then just acts like his been shot. Smart play but not something I want to see in hockey.

For this game I’m not saying it was an undeserved win, it was a quite even game and Canada did what they usually do the best, make it happen when it really matters, something Sweden rarely does.
But you want to drive the bullshit diving narrative even though it didn't exist outside of a couple minor instances on both teams. I don't remember the semi from last year, maybe I'll enjoy rewatching it to see if the roots of Swedish dementia are evident there. The conversation was about this year and it was as honest a game from Canada as you will see from anyone, and the Swedes went insane.

Autodidact

Jan 7, 2018
The first one is a classic and does not belong, but there are a few examples later in the film:

I have nothing to do with the film. I just found it.

Reactions: Slimmy

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
But in all honesty, the US was a lot worse this year than Canada when it comes to diving/embellishment. That semis was just completely bonkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad