GDT: 2018 WJC • Game 31 • Gold: SWE (1) - CAN (3) F

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
So he knew McLeod was going to cut inside? Stepping through the video frame by frame it isn't evident that McLeod is going to avoid the collision until the last moment. The leg is outstretched making a c-cut to swing the hip into a check. That's what I see.

But we can't read his mind, so nothing is "plain as day" about it to me. Maybe you are right -- maybe he's hanging the leg out on purpose to completely block the path. And since it isn't a penalty where he's from, why not, right?

He saw mcleod circling the net and sticks his leg out, what other interpretation can we have here?

Can you post the video of it here so we can take a look? I have not seen it since friday so maybe with another close look at it you may change my mind, I have no problem admitting I am in error if I see I am.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
So he knew McLeod was going to cut inside? Stepping through the video frame by frame it isn't evident that McLeod is going to avoid the collision until the last moment. Dahlin's leg is outstretched making a c-cut to swing the hip into a check. That's what I see.

But we can't read his mind, so nothing is "plain as day" about it to me. Maybe you are right -- maybe he's hanging the leg out on purpose to completely block the path. And since it isn't a penalty where he's from, why not, right?

Mcleod didn't have the puck..................why would he be looking to check him then? and if he is it is interference and it's a penalty. he's got nothing to complain about.

It was a cheeky and I would say dirty play he pulled there.

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
Please specifically say what would have been different in a "Swedish setting."

You make it sound so innocent to conjure imaginary diving and accuse the refs of bias. It really does seem to be the national narrative there about this and I think it is amazingly out of touch with reality. Which of those penalties isn't a penalty in Sweden??? Are yellow jerseyed teams allowed to trip and interfere there?

I am not saying the penalties would not have been penalties in Sweden, Dahlin did. I was simply paraphrasing what he said! From what he said in the interview I take it he means some of the penalties would not have been given to Canada because it was diving which for one is (in Dahlin's opinion) not something players do in the Swedish league and for the other the refs there would not "reward" it with a penalty on the other team... As I said, I'm only paraphrasing his interview, because I noticed how the translation was a bit short and misleading in certain parts.
Also, Dahlin does not accuse the refs of being biased. He simply says that in Sweden "diving" or what he deems to be diving is handled differently... There was no direct accusation, so don't make it into one.

Last edited:

blindpass

May 7, 2010
I am not saying the penalties would not have been penalties in Sweden, Dahlin did. I was simply paraphrasing what he said! From what he said in the interview I take it he means some of the penalties would not have been given to Canada because it was diving which for one is (in Dahlin's opinion) not something players do in the Swedish league and for the other the refs there would not "reward" it with a penalty on the other team... As I said, I'm only paraphrasing his interview, because I noticed how the translation was a bit short and misleading in certain parts.
Also, Dahlin does not accuse the refs of being biased. He simply says that in Sweden "diving" or what he deems to be diving is handled differently... There was no direct accusation, so don't make it into one.
Fair enough, though you seem to be clarifying a mistranslation that makes his opinions sound odious with a new translation that is also odious. I appreciate that you are just offering information and no judgment, but the problem in all of this is just that. Where are the Swedes to condemn the shameful conduct of their team? Maybe I just haven't come across it. It isn't your responsibility of course, but noone has an issue with how they've represented their country and the sport?

Reactions: jj cale

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Very easy to see, and it's why they lose.

I mean the guy purposefully sticks his leg out as the player is circling the net (and that can ruin a guys career with a knee injury very easily) and then he has the nerve to go on with that crap after the game?

Great player, but man he will get straightened out quickly in the pros should he continue with this immaturity and foolishness.

Gonna enjoy cheering against that guy till the end of his career now, new public enemy number one for me.
Sounds very immature to go on about a teenager and call him your "number one enemy'. You sound just like a minor hockey parent. "Oh look my Johnny is the only player on the ice that plays his position".
You expect the teenagers to act like an adult yet have issue with doing that your self. Shame on you for even typing something childish like that on this forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimboA

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Sounds very immature to go on about a teenager and call him your "number one enemy'. You sound just like a minor hockey parent. "Oh look my Johnny is the only player on the ice that doesn't play his position".
You expect the teenagers to act like an adult yet have issue with doing that your self. Shame on you for even typing something childish like that on this forum.

Theres no shame, he acted like a little baby and a weasel and people dislike players all the time.

He will be a pro very soon, he is fair game and I can either like him or dislike him all I want and when he sticks his leg out to take a guy on the team I cheer for out of the play and then cries after a game about diving after doing what he did you can be sure I won't like him.He very easily could have seriously injured our player while doing it too, you can take a knee out with that move no problem, a lot of things could happen when someone does what he did. That is what is shameful here.

He gets a pass on that because he is 17 years old? 17 years old is far and away old enough for him to know he shouldn't do that garbage. And if he is old enough to know better he is old enough to take heat for it.

But you are free to think what you want of me, that is your right also.

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Theres no shame, he acted like a little baby and a weasel and people dislike players all the time.

He will be a pro very soon, he is fair game and I can either like him or dislike him all I want and when he sticks his leg out to take a guy on the team I cheer for out of the play and then cries after a game about diving after doing what he did you can be sure I won't like him.He very easily could have seriously injured our player while doing it too, you can take a knee out with that move no problem. That is what is shameful here.

But you are free to think what you want of me, that is your right also.
Get a grip pal. Read your first line. You my friend are acting worse. Canada won GOLD. That will never change. They have won 17 golds to Sweden's two. In Canada we appreciate great hockey players no matter where they come from. In fact our Kitchener Rangers drafted the Swedish captain in the last import draft although he chose not to play here in North America.
Try and tell me that the Swedes never dive. Give it a rest. Watch out you don't get to close to those Swedish players those halos can cut you.:nopity:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Get a grip pal. Read your first line. You my friend are acting worse. Canada won GOLD. That will never change. They have won 17 golds to Sweden's two. In Canada we appreciate great hockey players no matter where they come from. In fact our Kitchener Rangers drafted the Swedish captain in the last import draft although he chose not to play here in North America.
Try and tell me that the Swedes never dive. Give it a rest. Watch out you don't get to close to those Swedish players those halos can cut you.:nopity:

I appreciate him as a hockey player in terms of his talent, I don't appreciate him as a player in terms of how he acts as a hockey player and I gave you my reasons why.

You think he doesnt get razzed by fans in the elite league this year by fans of the opposing team because he is 17 or that he won't get razzed or disliked by opposing fans as soon as next year in the NHL? cmon man.

We can go on all day about this but it will be a waste of time, you have your view and I have mine. I won't like the guy and will root against him, one sees it all the time around here on this forum with fans who don't like certain players. Why am I so special to single out for condemnation on this matter?

Play all the violins you want, he's a player I don;t and won;t like.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
So confused. Not that it should matter, but you know he's hating on Dahlin, a Swede?

Last edited:

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
Fair enough, though you seem to be clarifying a mistranslation that makes his opinions sound odious with a new translation that is also odious. I appreciate that you are just offering information and no judgment, but the problem in all of this is just that. Where are the Swedes to condemn the shameful conduct of their team? Maybe I just haven't come across it. It isn't your responsibility of course, but noone has an issue with how they've represented their country and the sport?

Okay, so, I'm new in this community and with my hockey-fandom. I guess I am still learning.
Why I decided to give this clarification on the translation was my feeling that a lot of people here are judging a 17-year-old very harshly for words said in an interview right after a disappointing match with some - at least how I read a couple of comments in here as well - questionable penalties stating that they will hate this kid forever and blowing his words out of proportion (my opinion in this case, but only referring to what he actually said and how it is paraphrased here... not to the subject of the penalties itself, because as I said I am new to hockey-fandom and do not believe that I can pass judgement on penalties yet...).
If you watch the interview with an unbiased mind and the ability to actually understand what he says, you will realise that he doesn't want to say anything bad at first, but is pushed into commenting by the reporter and then he kind of beats around the bush in a very calm and hesitant way saying that Canada got all the penalties for playing a certain way the Swedes are not used to and regard as unfair and if the Canucks would have played how hockey is supposed to be played (according to Dahlin) the game might have been different, but "I don't know" (quote Dahlin)... and when asked why Sweden didn't start "diving", too, he simply says: It's not how we play hockey because it does not belong in hockey.
I don't see the odious part here.
As for your last question: there is criticism in Swedish newspapers and television about how the coach handled the situation after the match by not giving an interview.
SVT-profilens kritik – mot svenska tv-nobben
But Montén is also quoted saying his guys did the best they could and that he is proud of them.
On the other hand there are articles complaining about the Canadian way of playing, too. So, I would say it was not only the team and its coaches who viewed the refs' job as unfair...
Sverige straffas hårt av domarna — SVT-experten pekar ut kanadensare som filmare
Tankar efter finalen: Hart var ryggraden i Kanada - JVM 2018 - Junior-VM | SvenskaFans.com
Luleås Filip Gustavsson efter JVM-förlusten: Känns tomt - P4 Norrbotten
If you want me to translate, let me know ;-)

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
So confused. Not that it should matter, but you know he's hating on Dahlin, a Swede?

And I could hate on one of these Canadian players in a few years also. Who knows? maybe Kyrou sticks a leg out on a habs player 3 years from now and I start getting a hate on for him also. This is normal for many sports fans, god if I had a nickel for how many times i have seen fans here throw hateful comments on Matt cooke, sidney crosby or any number of players I would be in great financial shape.

Geez, a fan disliking a player..................who woulda thunk that could ever happen?

I never said I want the kid to contract an incurable disease or anything, i just said I will dislike him as a hockey player and cheer against him from now on.

We aren't living in heaven, can't believe anyone thinks this is a big deal.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Okay, so, I'm new in this community and with my hockey-fandom. I guess I am still learning.
Why I decided to give this clarification on the translation was my feeling that a lot of people here are judging a 17-year-old very harshly for words said in an interview right after a disappointing match with some - at least how I read a couple of comments in here as well - questionable penalties stating that they will hate this kid forever and blowing his words out of proportion (my opinion in this case, but only referring to what he actually said and how it is paraphrased here... not to the subject of the penalties itself, because as I said I am new to hockey-fandom and do not believe that I can pass judgement on penalties yet...).
If you watch the interview with an unbiased mind and the ability to actually understand what he says, you will realise that he doesn't want to say anything bad at first, but is pushed into commenting by the reporter and then he kind of beats around the bush in a very calm and hesitant way saying that Canada got all the penalties for playing a certain way the Swedes are not used to and regard as unfair and if the Canucks would have played how hockey is supposed to be played (according to Dahlin) the game might have been different, but "I don't know" (quote Dahlin)... and when asked why Sweden didn't start "diving", too, he simply says: It's not how we play hockey because it does not belong in hockey.
I don't see the odious part here.
As for your last question: there is criticism in Swedish newspapers and television about how the coach handled the situation after the match by not giving an interview.
SVT-profilens kritik – mot svenska tv-nobben
But Montén is also quoted saying his guys did the best they could and that he is proud of them.
On the other hand there is also an article complaining about the Canadian way of playing, too. So, I would say it was not only the team and its coaches who viewed the refs' job as unfair...
Sverige straffas hårt av domarna — SVT-experten pekar ut kanadensare som filmare
Tankar efter finalen: Hart var ryggraden i Kanada - JVM 2018 - Junior-VM | SvenskaFans.com
Luleås Filip Gustavsson efter JVM-förlusten: Känns tomt - P4 Norrbotten
If you want me to translate, let me know ;-)

And that is why your players and some of your fans go on like they do, they have the press spewing crap to them and of course they swallow it all no questions asked and then they get locked into the victim role.

And then they keep losing. I guess I should be happy for this attitude really, it works in our favour.

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
And that is why your players and some of your fans go on like they do, they have the press spewing crap to them and of course they swallow it all no questions asked and then they get locked into the victim role.

And then they keep losing. I guess I should be happy for this attitude really, it works in our favour.

First of all: they are not MY players nor MY fans, I am neither Swedish nor did I root for them! And secondly: all those articles came out AFTER the Dahlin interview, so I don't think he reproduced the "press spewing crap"...
Thirdly: I don't understand why I deserve this impolite tone, calm down, buddy! It's just a hockey game... and your team won!

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
First of all: they are not MY players nor MY fans, I am neither Swedish nor did I root for them! And secondly: all those articles came out AFTER the Dahlin interview, so I don't think he reproduced the "press spewing crap"...
Thirdly: I don't understand why I deserve this impolite tone, calm down, buddy! It's just a hockey game...
My sincerest apologies, I assumed you were a fan of sweden.

As for the press spewing crap..................I am sure it is not the first time an article like that came out in the Swedish press after a swedish national team loss to Canada.

And as we all know, especially swedish fans..........................they have had a boatload of losing to us.

And I am sure at this point it isn't just loses to Canada that brings on this victim role garbage, it is the frustration at having had such phenomenal success in the round robin portion of this tournament yet having such a drastic low level of golds to show for it no matter who they play. They just have not been able to nail down wins in the biggest games so very often. I do understand how that can get to folks.

And thats where the venom has it's birth, the constant continued losing to Canada and just losing period.

But that is not anyone elses problem, thats THEIR problem and playing the victim blame game isn't going to get them anywhere.

Last edited:

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin

As for the press spewing crap..................I am sure it is not the first time an article like that came out in the Swedish press after a swedish national team loss to Canada.

And as we all know, especially swedish fans..........................they have had a boatload of losing to us.

And thats where the venom has it's birth, the constant continued losing to Canada.

I cheered for team Canada in the outdoor game and felt sorry for the Canucks when they lost in the shoot-out and I cheered for Sweden when they won against USA.
For the final I couldn't decide which team to root for, because I love Sweden - lived there for part of my life - and I like Canada just because it is Canada :)
My sole point for posting here was that I couldn't understand how people get so mad at a teenager for saying some not thoroughly thought-through things in a post-match interview, especially since he was on the team that lost... Is it really necessary to beat the already beaten?
Show some indulgence. Canada won!

On another note: almost every article in Swedish newspapers that I could find on the internet praised Canada for the game and the win, and only three also mentioned that the Canadian's way of playing wasn't the best in terms of sportsmanship... I couldn't find any venom in those articles.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I cheered for team Canada in the outdoor game and felt sorry for the Canucks when they lost in the shoot-out and I cheered for Sweden when they won against USA.
For the final I couldn't decide which team to root for, because I love Sweden - lived there for part of my life - and I like Canada just because it is Canada :)
My sole point for posting here was that I couldn't understand how people get so mad at a teenager for saying some not thoroughly thought-through things in a post-match interview, especially since he was on the team that lost... Is it really necessary to beat the already beaten?
Show some indulgence. Canada won!

On another note: almost every article in Swedish newspapers that I could find on the internet praised Canada for the game and the win, and only three also mentioned that the Canadian's way of playing wasn't the best in terms of sportsmanship... I couldn't find any venom in those articles.

I appreciate your post but sorry, I am still gonna dislike him.

Who knows? Maybe he can get in my good graces some day though I doubt he is losing any sleep over what i or anyone else may think of him.

Bottom line, it's sports, fans dislike players for whatever reasons all the time, he will be a pro soon and is fair game for fans wrath. It is no big deal what I think of him as a player. You would think I had asked for the guy to be executed or something.

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
I appreciate your post but sorry, I am still gonna dislike him.

Who knows? Maybe he can get in my good graces some day though I doubt he is losing any sleep over what i or anyone else may think of him.

Bottom line, it's sports, fans dislike players for whatever reasons all the time, he will be a pro soon and is fair game for fans wrath. It is no big deal what I think of him.

Fine with me. I wasn't trying to change your mind about him and can agree to everything in your last post.
Can't wait to see what kinds or arguments will come up in Febuary when the U18s go at it ;-)

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Fine with me. I wasn't trying to change your mind about him and can agree to everything in your last post.
Can't wait to see what kinds or arguments will come up in Febuary when the U18s go at it ;-)

Oh, it will be the same old song and dance it always is for any international tournament around here.

Cheers.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Just happy that the team with class won...hockey gods are always right.

Sweden is a great country, it is no secret that it's a first class country with first class people for the most part.

But their teams antics and attitude after that loss right down to the coaches just didn't look good on them the other day.

You contrast how they handled that loss with how the Canadian side handled that shootout heartbreaker last year to the U.S where they made a point of actually skating over to the U.S team lined up and shaking their hands and you can see the difference. I know the continued falling short after great round robin results is frustrating for them but you've got to suck it up at some point and toss the victim role.

It just doesn't work or look good.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I appreciate him as a hockey player in terms of his talent, I don't appreciate him as a player in terms of how he acts as a hockey player and I gave you my reasons why.

You think he doesnt get razzed by fans in the elite league this year by fans of the opposing team because he is 17 or that he won't get razzed or disliked by opposing fans as soon as next year in the NHL? cmon man.

We can go on all day about this but it will be a waste of time, you have your view and I have mine. I won't like the guy and will root against him, one sees it all the time around here on this forum with fans who don't like certain players. Why am I so special to single out for condemnation on this matter?
No he won't get razzed here in the OHL. We appreciate skilled players. Only drunks and fools razz teengers here and others don't care for that behavior
Play all the violins you want, he's a player I don;t and won;t like.

And I am sure at this point it isn't just loses to Canada that brings on this victim role garbage, it is the frustration at having had such phenomenal success in the round robin portion of this tournament yet having such a drastic low level of golds to show for it no matter who they play. They just have not been able to nail down wins in the biggest games so very often. I do understand how that can get to folks.

And thats where the venom has it's birth, the constant continued losing to Canada and just losing period.

But that is not anyone elses problem, thats THEIR problem and playing the victim blame game isn't going to get them anywhere.
She's all over but the crying now JJ. You are a real fighter;)

Reactions: jj cale
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad