GDT: 2018 WJC • Game 18 • Group A: USA (5) - FIN (4) F

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Americans had next to zero offensive zone penetration 5 on 5 vs Canada. If Finland can be patient and stay true positionally I think they’ll win...so long as they don’t take lots of penalties.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Americans had next to zero offensive zone penetration 5 on 5 vs Canada. If Finland can be patient and stay true positionally I think they’ll win...so long as they don’t take lots of penalties.

That isn't accurate at all.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
FIN lineup.

Luukkonen (Lehtinen)

Heiskanen - Välimäki
Juolevi - Jokiharju
Vaakanainen - Salo
Kotkansalo

Vesalainen - Räsänen - Tolvanen
Heponiemi - Ikonen - Koivula
Innala - Kuokkanen - Tuulola
Jääskä - Koppanen - Nurmi
Kupari

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Then again, if the U.S. wins it looks like we'd get a U.S. vs Russia quarter final instead. Either way, it should be good.
Yeah the U.S is gonna be involved in a really interesting QF no matter what....My personal preference is to see Sweden and the States take one or the other out early lol

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Scandinavians will combo US out from their home tournament, first Finland wins and Swedes will finish em. Loving this!

Reactions: illone84

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
"Another upset"

You guys lost to Slovakia. Finland beating you is not an upset.

USA is favored to win this game, any other outcome=upset...Its quite simple really. I never said it was on the level of losing to Slovakia, so don't put words in my mouth.

USA also beat Canada, which beat Finland..so your point is? I don't see how that is at all relevant.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Victory is ours! Tolvanen will finally show mittlestad and co who the top dog from 2017 draft is and hatter!

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
USA is favored to win this game, any other outcome=upset...Its quite simple really. I never said it was on the level of losing to Slovakia, so don't put words in my mouth.

USA also beat Canada, which beat Finland..so your point is? I don't see how that is at all relevant.
Why do you think USA is a clear favorite to win? I wouldn't bet on either to win this game, it's a coin flip at the most.
Both USA and Finland got Canada cornered at points in their respective matches. Massive offensive outbursts against teams like DEN and SVK do not really tell the full picture anyway.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Really? Besides the man-advantage situations, I do not recall the Americans having any open shooting chances within the boundaries of the circles.
The US got most of their quality scoring chances on the pp when Canada took 5 consecutive penalties. 5on 5 the US had some control in the offensive zone but didnt get alot of Hugh scoring chances. 2 of the 3 goals the US scored was on the pp and one of those was a 5 on 3.

Reactions: 99664987

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011

USA beat Canada which beat Finland which beat Slovakia which beat USA.. you see there is no favourite really

Def Finland >> USA
Off USA > Finland
Special plays USA > Finland
goaltending equal

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
I wish they would switch Bellows and Tkachuk. Bellows has a lot of familiarity with Anderson and Mittlestadt is a great playmaker and can find Bellows in great shooting position.

With the extra Dman I expect lots of line changes, except for the #1 line. Especially if the Mittlestadt line is the only line producing scoring chances.

Reactions: SI90

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009

Do you know what an upset is? USA beating Russia in 1980 was an upset, Slovakia beating USA this year was an upset, Denmark (I think) beating Finland last year was an upset.

USA beating Finland is not an upset. Finland beating usa is not an upset.

Reactions: behemolari

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Do you know what an upset is? USA beating Russia in 1980 was an upset, Slovakia beating USA this year was an upset, Denmark (I think) beating Finland last year was an upset.

USA beating Finland is not an upset. Finland beating usa is not an upset.

"An upset occurs in a competition, frequently in electoral politics or sports, when the party popularly expected to win (the favorite), is defeated by an underdog whom the majority expects to lose, defying the conventional wisdom."

Last time I checked even 51% is a majority and I bet if polled it would be even wider than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad