7 Cale Makar - 8 Dante Fabbro
10 Kale Clague

1 Colton Point
31 Carter Hart

Last edited:

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Should be an interesting game. I'd like to see a "simpler" game from Canada. Hopefully, Fabbro continues to feel better and Jake Bean can stay on the bench as much as possible.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Should be an interesting game. I'd like to see a "simpler" game from Canada. Hopefully, Fabbro continues to feel better and Jake Bean can stay on the bench as much as possible.

Bean is good on PP, but 5/5 nothing special.
This could be an entertaining game until the Slovak team resists, as soon as Canada goes into some 2 goals lead, it will be over. But the Slovaks are not so bad team this year, perhaps they could be able to resist a period or even two.

caslava

Dec 1, 2017
Slovakia
Hoping for a strong performance here from roman and fehervary. Good chance for them to improve on draft positioning.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
This Canadian team should include Matthew Phillips. Needs more talent carrying the puck.

Honestly, anything less than domination is unacceptable. Canadian international teams are shackled to this expectation. Some rise above and some don't.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I was hoping for a little afternoon NHL action to get me to this one, but alas, the NHL schedule makers didn't cooperate. BLR v SUI just doesn't cut it. I guess I'll just have to get in some Christmas visiting instead.

As for the game, Canada for the W by a score of 6-1.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Hoping to see the Canadian defencemen make simpler, less boneheaded decisions with the puck in the defensive zone.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
This Canadian team should include Matthew Phillips. Needs more talent carrying the puck.

Honestly, anything less than domination is unacceptable. Canadian international teams are shackled to this expectation. Some rise above and some don't.

It isn't the mid-2000s anymore. There are a lot of better teams. I expect a win, but team Canada can't just steamroll the tourney.

Reactions: jj cale

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
It's a bit revisionist to say Canada was steamrolling anyone. Outside of 2005, games were always close and Canada actually lost in the preliminary rounds before gutting out gold medal wins in close games.

Canada has just been more clutch than other teams in the medal rounds. Sweden should have won far more but is the opposite of Canada for example.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
It's a bit revisionist to say Canada was steamrolling anyone. Outside of 2005, games were always close and Canada actually lost in the preliminary rounds before gutting out gold medal wins in close games.

Canada has just been more clutch than other teams in the medal rounds. Sweden should have won far more but is the opposite of Canada for example.
I 100% agree with this statement. You have the benefit of hindsight which says Canada won 5 in a row, and was therefore dominant, but with the exception of one year, it was always a grind. It always SHOULD be a grind.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
5-1 Canada. Slovaks with some whacky, lucky goal, whoever starts for Canada seeing less than 10 shots. Canada has another sloppy game where they get too creative and don’t work hard enough to produce the 15-0 score that should otherwise occur.

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
Pretty simple solution to that. Staple Bean and Clague to the bench during 5 on 5.

The usage (or lack thereof) of Makar last night was ridiculous.
I don't think you can do that with Clague. We need him to show he's our #1 returning D. Last night he did not

Pope Francis 1

Mar 13, 2013
Makar and Mete clearly top D. It shocks me that Mahora was cut ... twice no less. The other Canadian D are pretty much as discussed. Overall the D is disappointing and perhaps the weak link. Canada's Fs and Hart will need to brilliant in order to medal if the D can't collectively figure it out. Canada was very fortunate v Finns.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Makar and Mete clearly top D. It shocks me that Mahora was cut ... twice no less. The other Canadian D are pretty much as discussed. Overall the D is disappointing and perhaps the weak link. Canada's Fs and Hart will need to brilliant in order to medal if the D can't collectively figure it out. Canada was very fortunate v Finns.
If you hadn't seen the two pre-tourney games Canada played, then that assessment is quite understandable. However, the reality is that they are actually a strength of this team, not a weakness. Don't forget that we were playing a highly potent Finnish offense and we held them to just two goals.

Reactions: LDN and 99664987

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad