OT: 2018 Winnipeg Blue Bombers (10-7) NEXT @ EDM (8-9) November 3 (CLINCHED PLAYOFFS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
So, there's no catching Sask in the standings, right? So, no home playoff game? (I think the Riders have the tiebreaker against us).

If that's the case, if BC beats Sask tomorrow, don't we want to lose against Edmonton so we can get the crossover? I'd much rather go through the East to get to the Grey Cup than try to win in Regina and then Calgary. Hamilton and Ottawa seem much easier to beat.

To me I could careless between being 3rd in the West or 3rd in the East. If I’m O’Shea I’m sitting a bunch of guys to give them a week to get ready for playoffs.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
So, there's no catching Sask in the standings, right? So, no home playoff game? (I think the Riders have the tiebreaker against us).

If that's the case, if BC beats Sask tomorrow, don't we want to lose against Edmonton so we can get the crossover? I'd much rather go through the East to get to the Grey Cup than try to win in Regina and then Calgary. Hamilton and Ottawa seem much easier to beat.

I disagree that we'd rather go through the east. Sask is the easiest team in the playoffs to beat, IMO. They depend on luck, they need to win the turnover battle by 3 or 4 to win football games. That was the Bombers a few years ago and it never works out long term. And Calgary is in a serious funk. Meanwhile Ottawa is inconsistent as hell but when they are on they are probably the best team in the league, IMO. And we've really struggled with the June Jones Ti-Cats for whatever reason.

Since we hold tiebreaker over BC though the only way we cross over is if BC wins both their remaining games and we lose our remaining game.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
East / West don't care just win 3 and celebrate a Grey Cup, peaking at the right time and being injury free has it's advantages put them to good use.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
To me I could careless between being 3rd in the West or 3rd in the East. If I’m O’Shea I’m sitting a bunch of guys to give them a week to get ready for playoffs.

Nothing the Bombers do next week has any bearing on where they finish in the playoffs. Only BC matters.

BC wins both = Bombers crossover
Otherwise = Bombers 3rd in West

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Nothing the Bombers do next week has any bearing on where they finish in the playoffs. Only BC matters.

BC wins both = Bombers crossover
Otherwise = Bombers 3rd in West

That's incorrect. Bomber win means they finish 3rd in the West. Bombers have tiebreaker on BC. They finish with same number of points and Bombers finish higher in the standings. BC loses to Sask today and Bombers are locked into 3rd in the West.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
That's incorrect. Bomber win means they finish 3rd in the West. Bombers have tiebreaker on BC. They finish with same number of points and Bombers finish higher in the standings. BC loses to Sask today and Bombers are locked into 3rd in the West.

If BC wins both, then there is a 3 way tie for 2nd with Sask and BC and we lose the three way tiebreaker

Sask 3-2
BC 2-2
Wpg 2-3

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
If BC wins both, then there is a 3 way tie for 2nd with Sask and BC and we lose the three way tiebreaker

Sask 3-2
BC 2-2
Wpg 2-3

True. Game today will be big for West standings. Sask wins and that Calgary-BC game next week is really important for Calgary, but BC and Winnipeg are locked in. BC wins by 3 and season series with Sask is tied. 3 way tie scenario you mentioned is there too if BC wins.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Santos-Knox is so, so good. Could be a future MOP. Whoever brought him in, good job.

Reactions: GNP

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Santos-Knox is so, so good. Could be a future MOP. Whoever brought him in, good job.

Santos-Knox is a product of the Bombers try-out camps they run across the US. He was starting a new job after graduating college and his dad found out the Bombers were running a try-out camp about 9 hours away from them. So they took a drive down to go to it. Paid the 100 or so dollars the Bombers charge for those things and he stood out so he got an invite the Bombers rookie camp in spring 2017. After a great rookie camp they signed him and then he made the team out of camp basically coming out of nowhere to steal a spot that had looked to be locked up by Kyle Knox. Then just kept improving.

The new rules about limiting the money you can spend on scouts and off the field are likely ending any chance of these rookie camps teams run across the US. Thanks CFL.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Santos-Knox is a product of the Bombers try-out camps they run across the US. He was starting a new job after graduating college and his dad found out the Bombers were running a try-out camp about 9 hours away from them. So they took a drive down to go to it. Paid the 100 or so dollars the Bombers charge for those things and he stood out so he got an invite the Bombers rookie camp in spring 2017. After a great rookie camp they signed him and then he made the team out of camp basically coming out of nowhere to steal a spot that had looked to be locked up by Kyle Knox. Then just kept improving.

The new rules about limiting the money you can spend on scouts and off the field are likely ending any chance of these rookie camps teams run across the US. Thanks CFL.

Those rules won't affect the Bombers, they are actually already compliant with them. They will affect teams like the Riders with a 30 coaches and support staff on the sideline.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I disagree that we'd rather go through the east. Sask is the easiest team in the playoffs to beat, IMO. They depend on luck, they need to win the turnover battle by 3 or 4 to win football games. That was the Bombers a few years ago and it never works out long term. And Calgary is in a serious funk. Meanwhile Ottawa is inconsistent as hell but when they are on they are probably the best team in the league, IMO. And we've really struggled with the June Jones Ti-Cats for whatever reason.

Since we hold tiebreaker over BC though the only way we cross over is if BC wins both their remaining games and we lose our remaining game.

Riders finish 12-6 (same as the Bombers last year) and could finish first overall if Calgary continues its funk. Boy, that's a lot of luck. :laugh:

Reactions: snowkiddin

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
So we can't rest everyone against the Esks, game means nothing, but Nichols, Harris, and Bighill needs to be cheerleaders next week and nowhere on the field.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
I've never been a fan of this. All of our starters should play at least a half to keep them sharp.

Think of it as a by week, as this point of the season a little rest in a meaningless game could go a long way in the playoffs, heal up some of those bumps and bruises, injuries is what I worry about especially against a team out of the playoffs.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Think of it as a by week, as this point of the season a little rest in a meaningless game could go a long way in the playoffs, heal up some of those bumps and bruises, injuries is what I worry about especially against a team out of the playoffs.

If there are minor ailments to heal, OK. But I don't think you sit players out entirely because of fear of injury. And players sometimes look like crap coming off a bye week. Everything seems to be clicking now, don't mess with success, as they say.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg

I'm with you on this one. The Bombers have already made the playoffs and won't be mentally sharp which will be the opportune time for injuries to occur. Also, Edmonton will be out for revenge after being embarrassed at home by Winnipeg the last time. I'd say it's a good time to rest your best players in a meaningless game.

:jets

Reactions: bustamente
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad