2018 Washington Capitals vs 2019 St.Louis Blues in a 7 game series

Who would win a 7 game series?

• Total voters

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Both franchises ended their Stanley Cup droughts back to back, but who would win in a 7 game series between these two (assume a neutral venue)?

Capitals
Coach: Barry Trotz

Ovechkin – Kuznetsov – Wilson

Vrana – Backstrom – Oshie
Burakovsky – Eller – Connolly
Stephenson – Beagle – DSP

Kempny – Carlson
Orlov – Niskanen
Orpik – Djoos

Holtby

Blues
Coach: Craig Berube

Schwartz - Schenn - Tarasenko

Sanford - O'Reilly - Perron
Maroon - Bozak - Blais
Barbashev - Sundqvist - Steen

Gunnarsson - Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester - Parayko
Edmundson - Dunn

Binnington

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
That Blues roster proves that at the end of the day, if your goalie gets hot at the right time you have a chance to win no matter how the rest of your team looks

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Small detail fix for STL but overall looks good

Maroon - Bozak - Thomas

I lean Washington but I think this would be a closer series than the poll suggests. It would also be a blood bath given the physical style of both of these teams.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
Toss-up, nothing like these results suggest. As a Pens fan, I would say that 2016 and 2017 Caps teams were way better than the 2018 one in Penguins-series imo. Pens controlled the games but Holtby's beast-mode vs Murray's easy goals cost us that series

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Toss-up, nothing like these results suggest. As a Pens fan, I would say that 2016 and 2017 Caps teams were way better than the 2018 one in Penguins-series imo. Pens controlled the games but Holtby's beast-mode vs Murray's easy goals cost us that series

What do the pens have to do with anything? The 16 and 17 caps were better (on paper) than the 18 caps, but that doesn't mean the 18 caps weren't better than the 19 blues.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
What do the pens have to do with anything? The 16 and 17 caps were better (on paper) than the 18 caps, but that doesn't mean the 18 caps weren't better than the 19 blues.
Pens fans might have a better touch to evaluate those Caps teams than fans of many other teams as we met every year in playoffs. Not really the answer to the question but some people before my text writed that 2018 Caps team was very special, I am saying that it really wasn't better than teams in years before

Johnny Tomala

Jan 24, 2017
Two of the weakest Stanley Cup winners in salary cap era (along with Hurricanes). Capitals in 6, at least they had Ovechkin.

Reactions: ru4reals

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Pens fans might have a better touch to evaluate those Caps teams than fans of many other teams as we met every year in playoffs. Not really the answer to the question but some people before my text writed that 2018 Caps team was very special, I am saying that it really wasn't better than teams in years before
16 and 17 caps were better on paper but would have mental lapses every game for a few minutes that the pens were able to capitalize on. 18 caps that pretty much went away and they seemed mentally stronger.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016

That's great but is completely irrelevant. Also, even if the 2018 caps were worse than 16 and 17, they can still be a special/great team themselves. I mean Pittsburgh themselves were better in 2016 than 2017, but that doesn't mean 2017 wasn't a great team too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad