Post-Game Talk: 2018 Trade Deadline - How Happy Are You?

Disappointed with our trade deadline bc of assets/opportunity cost spent?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Not happy.

Either go for it, or sell off guys. Come on.
This is an almost BlueJays-like noncommittal path of seller vs buyer. It’s not like JVR and Komarov would end our playoff chances. If you are content to roll that broken tank Polak out there or Mr average himself Carrick, yet hang onto valuable UFAs that are replaceable to some extent internally then you failed miserably this day. And that’s not even factoring in the spend on Plekanec.

Reactions: rumman and hotpaws

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
  • Just one thing - either go back or trade your own assets
  • I don't understand the logic but any ways not going to say more

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Overall, it's the same thing as last year.

A late 2nd round pick to bring in a veteran centre to provide depth and support to our young talent, and keep the rest of our assets.

Hard to be mad. Worry about Tampa Bay if/when we face them in the playoffs.
we'll face them and McDonagh will score the 3OT game 7 GWG off a turnover by Plekanec

Reactions: lebdafor norris

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Tough that the Leafs didn't focus on getting some depth on defense for a playoff run.

Didn't need to be a massive trade, but the 3rd pairing will take a hit come playoff time.

A bit disappointed, but not shocked.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
I’m honestly fine not doing anything today, Plekanec was a solid addition, but man I am salty Tampa got McDonagh. Would’ve been fine with anybody else getting him other than Tampa and Boston

Reactions: NCoRe

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Overall, it's the same thing as last year.

A late 2nd round pick to bring in a veteran centre to provide depth and support to our young talent, and keep the rest of our assets.

Hard to be mad. Worry about Tampa Bay if/when we face them in the playoffs.

this is a good point, because we didn't even make ourselves better than boston, coin flip at best against boston very high chance we didn't even need to worry about tampa.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Dermott being as good as he is is another factor.

I could see management thinking Liljegren can do something similar as soon as October.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Around this time, we always start to hear about extensions happening. Whether it's with guys that were just traded or guys that you thought were going to get traded and stayed put.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Bad news: We didn't get McDonagh. He would have really helped our team and from the looks of it nothing really good went to NYR. I may be biased but Liljegren or Dermott are way better than every single piece that went NYR's way without a doubt.

Good news: McDonagh didn't cost anything remotely close to guys like Nylander, Marner, Liljegren etc and he's a #1D that isn't a rental.

It bodes really well for us in the future to acquire a guy like OEL, or a rental Karlsson etc.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
By your logic say we trade Bozak and JVR for two 1st rounders and we lose in the first round. Anderson might get angry that we are rebuilding during a playoff run and demand a trade and Marleau retires. Then i say we traded Anderson, Marleau, JVR and Bozak for two 1st round draft picks. Using your logic that would be a different way of viewing it.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
To be fair, if there was a GM out there drunk enough to offer a first to Bozak, I'd be pissed that Lou passed that up.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
this is a good point, because we didn't even make ourselves better than boston, coin flip at best against boston very high chance we didn't even need to worry about tampa.

I firmly believe this team is better than Boston already, and Boston only made themselves slower and older at the deadline.

Tampa Bay was always an uphill battle, but we generally play them well because we focus on offense. We'll see how we matchup with them tonight, though I am assuming McDonagh won't be playing.

Reactions: studebaker17

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
Our GM is not in the same realm as Tampa's. Stevey Y is quickly becoming the best GM in all of the NHL.

So I'm sorta glad we didn't try and go all in for McD. With our GM it would have cost us Nylander, 1st, Lilli, Grundy and probably Kapanen.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Bad news: We didn't get McDonagh. He would have really helped our team and from the looks of it nothing really good went to NYR. I may be biased but Liljegren or Dermott are way better than every single piece that went NYR's way without a doubt.

Good news: McDonagh didn't cost anything remotely close to guys like Nylander, Marner, Liljegren etc and he's a #1D that isn't a rental.

It bodes really well for us in the future to acquire a guy like OEL, or a rental Karlsson etc.
Yeah, it was hilarious that Rangers fans were insisting it would cost Liljegren + Kapanen, and if we wouldn't pay that than we weren't getting him. Great stuff.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
i'm disappointed we didn't give up more for a real push

I am on the fence. NYR got a bunch of pieces that IMO aren't as good as Dermott/Liljegren.

The good news is that McDonagh didn't cost much at all.. Picks and ~okay prospects. We can throw picks and prospects at guys like OEL, Karlsson or hell we can even go after McDonagh in UFA as Tampa is going to have trouble keeping everything under the cap.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
McD would have taken big hit in the organization depth. We're not where Tampa is. The return seems underwhelming but it still would have been a hit.

Besides perhaps the Rangers have a higher value on some of those assets they got in return.

Reactions: MattySnipes

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I firmly believe this team is better than Boston already, and Boston only made themselves slower and older at the deadline.

Tampa Bay was always an uphill battle, but we generally play them well because we focus on offense. We'll see how we matchup with them tonight, though I am assuming McDonagh won't be playing.

well the bright side is - Matthews completely torched McDonagh :laugh: #brightside.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Our GM is not in the same realm as Tampa's. Stevey Y is quickly becoming the best GM in all of the NHL.

So I'm sorta glad we didn't try and go all in for McD. With our GM it would have cost us Nylander, 1st, Lilli, Grundy and probably Kapanen.
Lmao, yeah okay.

I'm fine with it, I didn't wanna go bonkers on buying rentals anyway, and I think the Plekanec trade makes us a lot deeper. So I'm good with it.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad