WJC: 2018 Team USA Roster Talk

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I hope they show up and put out an effort and at least medal. This team had the talent to play for the gold, just looked like many of them kept looking for someone else to carry the load.

Yamamoto was surprising as this was simply the worst he looked in 2 yeas - he was relentless in the NHL, goes back to junior tears it up there and just kind of fits in with the crowd here...something doesn't make sense here with this many 1st round forwards looking that vanilla.

Maybe they didn't like the system or the line combos, I don;t know...team never looked like it gelled from the get go when Brown went out.
Are you sure?

As for the first rounders, you had far too many role players; Jones, Tufte, Frederic, Poehling, none of those guys are line drivers offensively. I really think a healthy Brown and a not-absolute-shit Yamamoto would have made a difference.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
This. I spent a lot of last night thinking about all the what if's connected to that Slovakia game. I'm fairly sure we'd be playing at 8:00 tonite if we hadnt given that one away.
Watching this bronze game just makes the Slovakia game sting a little more. We should be playing for gold.

NewHampshire

Mar 25, 2015
Watching this bronze game just makes the Slovakia game sting a little more. We should be playing for gold.

Probably. Still, here we are disappointed about a US team that lacked consistency and never seemed to click, yet still beat Russia and Canada, featured some monumental individual production and won a Bronze medal. It says a lot about USA Hockey and where they are now. Not everyone seems super optimistic about next year's team - but I really like how it might look. If the 00's are ready for prime time I think they'll be in the mix to win it all and, at minimum, a fourth medal in four years seems likely...

Reactions: Joe Zanussi

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Beat Canada, Russia, Finland, and the Czech's...bronze medal. lol

If ifs and buts were chocolates and nuts we'd all have Merry Christmas.

You don't get second chances in these formats it's pretty simple . You make the quarters win or go home.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I'm glad they were able to finish it off with the bronze medal. USAH should rarely be leaving this tournament without a medal.

USAH has been getting a lot of praise in the last decade plus for its success at the junior level, and while a lot was deserved, a lot of it was over-the-top too. I've always felt that until the program was able to consistently perform in this tournament and do so while missing top talent each year that they weren't deserving of all the praise. In recent years, we're starting to see the program deliver in both those areas. Hopefully they can continue to build on that as medals followed by 5th place or 7th place finishes shouldn't be tolerated as much as it has been by USAH management.

With that, this will always be a tournament of "what ifs" in my eyes. In a tournament with no clear paper favorite, and no dominant team through the QFs, the gold medal was there for the taking. Potential back-to-back golds, first gold on home ice. What if they didn't blow the Slovakia game? What if they showed up against Sweden? But alas, they delivered their biggest stinker of the tournament when it mattered most in the semifinals and cost themselves a chance at gold.

Beyond the team, this tournament was a huge failure for USA Hockey. The stands were empty throughout and there was zero atmosphere in any game beyond the outdoor one. Hopefully this is the end of USAH trying to force Buffalo as the next hub of USAH.

Reactions: Joe Zanussi

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Some thoughts on the team:

Forwards:

Outside of the big three, a real disappointing performance from this group. This group had the makings of a unit that could roll four lines, wear down the opposition, and get production from every line, but it never materialized.
  • Casey Mittelstadt: Clear team MVP. A lot was expected of him and he delivered throughout. Would have been interesting to see him on a team with some secondary scoring to occasionally relieve the pressure he was under.
  • Kieffer Bellows: He redeemed himself in last year's tournament with 2 goals in the gold medal game after being a major disappointment, but that wasn't necessary this year. His skating has improved and he was one of the top 3 forwards. I'm not sure his impact was as great as his stats may indicate, but he's a goal scorer and he delivered goals.
  • Brady Tkachuk: Probably opened a lot of eyes for folks that have never seen him play. He's the complete package. Most impressively, he was composed all tournament. If he's not in the NHL, he should be the captain of this team next year.
  • Joey Anderson: I thought it was an average tournament at best for him. His stat line is really kind to his performance in my opinion. His patented effort, hustle, and grit were lacking all tournament and his offensive output more a byproduct of his linemates and ice time than his play.
  • Kailer Yamamoto: The biggest disappointment. He's so skilled and can absolutely fly, but you wouldn't know it having watched this tournament. A real bummer for a guy we all thought would be a huge contributor.
  • Ryan Poehling: If it wasn't for Yamamoto, he'd be the biggest disappointment. He's an old '99, is in his 2nd NCAA season already, has a lot of international experience, played a ton of minutes, and was basically a non-factor throughout.
  • Trent Frederic: He showed some flashes where you thought he may step up into that needed secondary scoring role, but it never materialized until the last game. He was good in the other areas of his game.
  • The rest of the forwards (Harper, Norris, Tufte, Jones) were all okay. You would have liked to see an unexpected contributor emerge out of your bottom line guys, but it didn't happen for any of them.
  • A real bummer to lose both Lockwood and Brown basically for the tournament. I'm not sure either of them change things, but it certainly didn't help the chances.
Defense:

The defense played well. They gave their team a chance to win, and for a group lacking a true #1 like some of the more recent teams, they performed about as well as you could have hoped.
  • Adam Fox: He's getting a lot of praise for his tournament, and while I thought he was good overall, I think the praise is a bit over-the-top. It was patented Fox nonetheless. Some fantastic vision and stickhandling followed by him forgetting he's a defensemen or his skating getting exposed wide.
  • Dylan Samberg: Our best d-man all tournament. He was a rock in his own end, physical, and did really well advancing the puck. This tournament should be a real confidence booster for him as he's a very inexperienced d-man. He'll anchor the top pair next tournament.
  • Quinn Hughes: Disappointing tournament for him and you could see the frustration on his face. That said, Motzko and company did him no favors. He was great in the opener (yes, it was Denmark), but was having a rough game against Slovakia like most everyone else and that was the end of it for him. He'd get sporadic shifts from there on out, so it's tough to expect much. In today's game, he finally started getting ice time again and looked pretty good, and then gets benched for sticking up for himself. Motzko should apologize for that one.
  • The rest of the guys played their roles and did so well.
Goalies:

Underwhelming for what had been a really promising group a year ago.
  • Joseph Woll: He was average at best. The hopeful side of me thought he could really have a great tournament as he'd be motivated to play for something given how so-so he's been for BC, but it was more of the same for Woll. He wasn't awful, but he wasn't good, and too often he put his team in a hole with a soft goal.
  • Jake Oettinger: He was average as well in limited minutes. Yes, he beat Canada, but he allowed a pretty soft goal in that one too and wasn't overly tested.
  • Jeremy Swayman: Feel for him. I still don't think he should have been there, but not because of his talent; it made no sense to bring a guy that can't return and not play him. That said, I was really disappointed in Motzko today. Your team is up 7-0 heading into the third. Bring in Swayman. What was the point of waiting to do so until there was only 3 minutes left?
Coaches:
  • Motzko has delivered for USAH. He deserves a ton of credit for back-to-back medals, but I found a lot more fault in his decisions this year than I did last year, which comes with the territory when you don't win gold I guess.
  • From his passive coaching when the team was down and struggling to score to his handling of Hughes and the goalies, I sure wish he would have coached with a bit more urgency.
---

All-in-all, this tournament doesn't define any of these players, good or bad. They all had their ups and downs, but they're bringing home bronze and a lifetime of memories. As always, it was a fun ride.

Last edited:

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
I'm glad they were able to finish it off with the bronze medal. USAH should rarely be leaving this tournament without a medal.

USAH has been getting a lot of praise in the last decade plus for its success at the junior level, and while a lot was deserved, a lot of it was over-the-top too. I've always felt that until the program was able to consistently perform in this tournament and do so while missing top talent each year that they weren't deserving of all the praise. In recent years, we're starting to see the program deliver in both those areas. Hopefully they can continue to build on that as medals followed by 5th place or 7th place finishes shouldn't be tolerated as much as it has been by USAH management.

With that, this will always be a tournament of "what ifs" in my eyes. In a tournament with no clear paper favorite, and no dominant team through the QFs, the gold medal was there for the taking. Potential back-to-back golds, first gold on home ice. What if they didn't blow the Slovakia game? What if they showed up against Sweden? But alas, they delivered their biggest stinker of the tournament when it mattered most in the semifinals and cost themselves a chance at gold.

Beyond the team, this tournament was a huge failure for USA Hockey. The stands were empty throughout and there was zero atmosphere in any game beyond the outdoor one. Hopefully this is the end of USAH trying to force Buffalo as the next hub of USAH.

Anything can happen in single elimination, its why the playoffs are a best of 7..unfortunately you can't really do that in the WJC or Olympics.

I'll admit at first I didn't care about the bronze (could be because USA doesn't seem to show up for those games usually so I don't get my hopes up), but after hearing it will be the first time they won 3 medals in a row and the current longest medal streak...I'm happy with what they've done in the tournament and as of late.

Wish hockey was more popular in the states but it just isn't. Don't think many fans are going to brave the elements of one of the worst winters already on record when their NHL team has won a whopping 10 games halfway through the season...but that could just be me.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Then we'd just lose a 4-2 blowout to Sweden in the gold medal game. HAH
I always root for Canada when USA is not involved, but tonight Im rooting for Sweden cuz it would hurt too much to know we shoukdve been there.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Some thoughts on the team:

Forwards:

Outside of the big three, a real disappointing performance from this group. This group had the makings of a unit that could roll four lines, wear down the opposition, and get production from every line, but it never materialized.
  • Casey Mittelstadt: Clear team MVP. A lot was expected of him and he delivered throughout. Would have been interesting to see him on a team with some secondary scoring to occasionally relieve the pressure he was under.
  • Kieffer Bellows: He redeemed himself in last year's tournament with 2 goals in the gold medal game after being a major disappointment, but that wasn't necessary this year. His skating has improved and he was one of the top 3 forwards. I'm not sure his impact was as great as his stats may indicate, but he's a goal scorer and he delivered goals.
  • Brady Tkachuk: Probably opened a lot of eyes for folks that have never seen him play. He's the complete package. Most impressively, he was composed all tournament. If he's not in the NHL, he should be the captain of this team next year.
  • Joey Anderson: I thought it was an average tournament at best for him. His stat line is really kind to his performance in my opinion. His patented effort, hustle, and grit were lacking all tournament and his offensive output more a byproduct of his linemates and ice time than his play.
  • Kailer Yamamoto: The biggest disappointment. He's so skilled and can absolutely fly, but you wouldn't know it having watched this tournament. A real bummer for a guy we all thought would be a huge contributor.
  • Ryan Poehling: If it wasn't for Yamamoto, he'd be the biggest disappointment. He's an old '99, is in his 2nd NCAA season already, has a lot of international experience, played a ton of minutes, and was basically a non-factor throughout.
  • Trent Frederic: He showed some flashes where you thought he may step up into that needed secondary scoring role, but it never materialized until the last game. He was good in the other areas of his game.
  • The rest of the forwards (Harper, Norris, Tufte, Jones) were all okay. You would have liked to see an unexpected contributor emerge out of your bottom line guys, but it didn't happen for any of them.
  • A real bummer to lose both Lockwood and Brown basically for the tournament. I'm not sure either of them change things, but it certainly didn't help the chances.
Defense:

The defense played well. They gave their team a chance to win, and for a group lacking a true #1 like some of the more recent teams, they performed about as well as you could have hoped.
  • Adam Fox: He's getting a lot of praise for his tournament, and while I thought he was good overall, I think the praise is a bit over-the-top. It was patented Fox nonetheless. Some fantastic vision and stickhandling followed by him forgetting he's a defensemen or his skating getting exposed wide.
  • Dylan Samberg: Our best d-man all tournament. He was a rock in his own end, physical, and did really well advancing the puck. This tournament should be a real confidence booster for him as he's a very inexperienced d-man. He'll anchor the top pair next tournament.
  • Quinn Hughes: Disappointing tournament for him and you could see the frustration on his face. That said, Motzko and company did him no favors. He was great in the opener (yes, it was Denmark), but was having a rough game against Slovakia like most everyone else and that was the end of it for him. He'd get sporadic shifts from there on out, so it's tough to expect much. In today's game, he finally started getting ice time again and looked pretty good, and then gets benched for sticking up for himself. Motzko should apologize for that one.
  • The rest of the guys played their roles and did so well.
Goalies:

Underwhelming for what had been a really promising group a year ago.
  • Joseph Woll: He was average at best. The hopeful side of me thought he could really have a great tournament as he'd be motivated to play for something given how so-so he's been for BC, but it was more of the same for Woll. He wasn't awful, but he wasn't good, and too often he put his team in a hole with a soft goal.
  • Jake Oettinger: He was average as well in limited minutes. Yes, he beat Canada, but he allowed a pretty soft goal in that one too and wasn't overly tested.
  • Jeremy Swayman: Feel for him. I still don't think he should have been there, but not because of his talent; it made no sense to bring a guy that can't return and not play him. That said, I was really disappointed in Motzko today. Your team is up 7-0 heading into the third. Bring in Swayman. What was the point of waiting to do so until there was only 3 minutes left?
Coaches:
  • Motzko has delivered for USAH. He deserves a ton of credit for back-to-back medals, but I found a lot more fault in his decisions this year than I did last year, which comes with the territory when you don't win gold I guess.
  • From his passive coaching when the team was down and struggling to score to his handling of Hughes and the goalies, I sure wish he would have coached with a bit more urgency.
---

All-in-all, this tournament doesn't define any of these players, good or bad. They all had their ups and downs, but they're bringing home bronze and a lifetime of memories. As always, it was a fun ride.

Good write up. I agree about two thigs in particular:

1). Goaltending was supposed to be an advantage. It wasnt. As you've expressed, it's a further disappointment that we didnt bring St Cyr or Primeau to build for next year...as opposed to letting Swayman play 4 meaningless minutes.

2). Anderson was a bid disappointment. Im guessing I expected too much, based on him getting first line minutes last year. He's a grinder....I wanted more.

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
I love this tournament. Love it! I live in Ohio so I was able to make the trip for 2 US games - the game against SVK and the semi against SWE. I feel I jinxed the kids. . I did get to see the US beat SWE in Erie. My thoughts...

(1). Horrible crowds
(2). Mitteslstadt was the best on O
(3). Samburg was the best on D
(4). Hughes scares me as he gives up a lot going the other way
(5). Woll was not doing the team any favors
(6). Also disappointed in Yamamoto and Poehling. They did nothing.
(7). Love Tkachuk's game
(8). Bellows impressed me
(9). I didn't think this group fought for the puck enough... I'm used to seeing the US win 50/50 battles and they just didn't.

Can't wait for next year but I'm so proud of these kids and that bronze medal. It's well deserved and they earned it and should be proud of themselves.

USA!

NewHampshire

Mar 25, 2015
From teammates to opponents in 24 HRs!

...for those confused by his role, or those who wish they saw more Swaymen - he and Maine shutout Oettinger, Tkachuk and BU, 3-0, tonight.

Reactions: clevelandcane

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Rewatching the Czech game and we played well.

Im gonna blame those God-awful jerseys for the Sweden debacle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad