WJC: 2018 Team USA Roster Talk

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I may be wrong, but I was left wanting more from much of the lineup offensively throughout the tournament. Obviously Brown being hurt did them no favors but some of them seemed to really struggle to get anything done in the offensive zone.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I’d probably give it to Oettinger. Not fair but life’s not fair. I don’t really care though.

I have no problem with Oettinger getting the nod either. I think he'd be just as motivated as Swayman. Oettinger to prove he should have been the guy, and Swayman just happy to play.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
I may be wrong, but I was left wanting more from much of the lineup offensively throughout the tournament. Obviously Brown being hurt did them no favors but some of them seemed to really struggle to get anything done in the offensive zone.

Yep. Secondary scoring was down. Thought Frederic and Yamamoto passed up too many shots.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yep. Secondary scoring was down. Thought Frederic and Yamamoto passed up too many shots.

Those two are the ones I directed a great deal of television yelling at. Yamamoto in particular -- love seeing small guys succeed, but I thought he had a rough tournament even before the slash.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

You're not wrong. The offense was basically Mittelstadt, Tkachuk, and Bellows. A lot of forwards have disappointed in the tournament offensively.
  • Yamamoto has been less noticeable than his 4 points would indicate.
  • Poehling has been playing huge minutes with nothing to show for it offensively, not even dangerous chances.
  • Anderson put up some points, but that's mostly due to him playing all his minutes with the two best forwards. Outside of his two goal game, he's been mostly invisible.
  • Brown, as you mentioned, was never a real option to produce after his injury.
  • And none of the other guys stepped up despite receiving more ice team than you would have expected after losing Lockwood and Brown. You wouldn't expect most of them to be heavy contributors, but you usually need an unsung guy to step up and unexpectedly contribute, yet guys like Norris, Frederic, Tufte, Jones, etc. all had plenty of opportunity to do so and were mostly non-factors throughout.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

Yeah both against Russia and Sweden and even really against Slovakia we probably won the zone time 60-70% but struggled mightily to get anything really dangerous.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

A little of this and a little of boneheaded defense. I thought the US defense would be better puck movers.

Reactions: Chainshot

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hoping we get to host a tournament one day outside of Buffalo. You know that place would have been a sea of red tomorrow if we met Canada for the gold.

Nothing against Buffalo, but it's just too close. You can go to games from Toronto and go home the same night.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Hoping we get to host a tournament one day outside of Buffalo. You know that place would have been a sea of red tomorrow if we met Canada for the gold.

Nothing against Buffalo, but it's just too close. You can go to games from Toronto and go home the same night.

LOL that's why USA Hockey picked it. It's just that Toronto has had the World Juniors like 2 of the last three years so nobody cared anymore.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Watching this second semifinal is a good reminder why you don’t lose to Slovakia in the round robin to give away the top seed in your group.
This. I spent a lot of last night thinking about all the what if's connected to that Slovakia game. I'm fairly sure we'd be playing at 8:00 tonite if we hadnt given that one away.

Reactions: William H Bonney

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I hope they show up and put out an effort and at least medal. This team had the talent to play for the gold, just looked like many of them kept looking for someone else to carry the load.

Yamamoto was surprising as this was simply the worst he looked in 2 yeas - he was relentless in the NHL, goes back to junior tears it up there and just kind of fits in with the crowd here...something doesn't make sense here with this many 1st round forwards looking that vanilla.

Maybe they didn't like the system or the line combos, I don;t know...team never looked like it gelled from the get go when Brown went out.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Like Chad Krys? :sarcasm:

The Canadian lol? Just kidding!

I do feel badly for Logan Brown, I still consider him a local guy (Ottawa). His last kick at the World Junior can shouldn't have gone down this way. Hopefully he will have a tremendous NHL career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad