WJC: 2018 Team USA Roster Talk

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Maybe the low scoring totals represent the facts that the talent of USA hockey players have gotten better. They are playing with and against better compitition. Including the fact of not enough ice time for everyone to show what they can do. Keller Bracco and others in past years accumulate bigger numbers playing with and against lesser talent. Perhaps they need a 2nd NTDP team so players can get more ice time and grow at a faster rate. seems like the talent has out grown the one team system.

The USHL is getting better and better every few years. There are more kids that could easily be on the NTDP that play for other USHL club teams. Anyway, I think as of NOW as I mentioned earlier the only player I would just personally like to see is Bode Wilde at the summer camp. He's one player that 7 months from now I think will be able to hold his own with some U20 players as far as his size. He can move too.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Maybe the low scoring totals represent the facts that the talent of USA hockey players have gotten better. They are playing with and against better compitition. Including the fact of not enough ice time for everyone to show what they can do. Keller Bracco and others in past years accumulate bigger numbers playing with and against lesser talent. Perhaps they need a 2nd NTDP team so players can get more ice time and grow at a faster rate. seems like the talent has out grown the one team system.

They don't need a second U17 NTDP team. Maybe the USHL is better, but the U17 squad and its players haven't exactly set the world on fire in international competition either.

And for context, it was just last year's U17 where guys like Reedy, Mismash, Barratt, Hughes, and Farrance were producing at higher or similar clips to guys like Wise, Farabee, and Wilde, yet they're conspicuously absent from these discussions. The USHL hasn't changed that much in one season.

Folks are viewing the U17 players through rose colored glasses. It's understandable because they had a lot of hype, and the Youth Olympic Games weren't long ago, but these projections are a bit silly at this point. It's not realistic right now.

Last edited:

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
They don't need a second U17 NTDP team. Maybe the USHL is better, but the U17 squad and its players haven't exactly set the world on fire in international competition either.

And for context, it was just last year's U17 where guys like Reedy, Mismash, Barratt, Hughes, and Farrance were producing at higher or similar clips to guys like Wise, Farabee, and Wilde, yet they're conspicuously absent from these discussions. The USHL hasn't changed that much in one season.

Folks are viewing the U17 players through rose colored glasses. It's understandable because they had a lot of hype, and the Youth Olympic Games weren't long ago, but these projections are a bit silly at this point. It's not realistic right now.

I understand comparing stat lines for context, but I think that can be misleading, I just watch the games and get a feel for what they're actually doing out there. And as we all know we are fans of the game and not pro scouts but a player could be really good and create chances but just doesn't put up as many points as a player last year. Farrance may have produced at a higher clip than Wilde at this point last year but I think Wilde is a better player than Farrance was at this point last year. And I just think he will be an even better player in 2017-18. There is no right or wrong answer right now, but I like the differences in opinions.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I didn't think Matthew Tkachuk would make it directly into the NHL this year, so I was wrong there. I have doubts that Clayton Keller makes it next year, but as I have said I have been wrong before.

As it stands currently, this team will again have strong forward depth and solid goaltending to pick from. The defense will be a motley crue like this year but lacking a stud horse in McAvoy. I don't know if Farance and Gildon can step up in time to be assets here, but as it stands this defense will have some concerns.

Here is my 23 man roster for next years team:

Joey Anderson
Kieffer Bellows
Logan Brown
Trent Frederic
Max Jones
Clayton Keller
Patrick Harper
Casey Mittelstadt
Kailer Yamamoto
Ryan Poehling
Vanya Lodnia
William Lockwood
Timmy Gettinger

Ryan Lindgren
Adam Fox
Chad Krys
Cam Dineen
Luke Martin
Andrew Peeke
David Farrance

Jake Oettinger
Joseph Woll
Cayden Primeau

Kieffer Bellows - Clayton Keller- Joey Anderson
Casey Mittelstadt - Logan Brown - Kailer Yamamoto
Patrick Harper - Ryan Poehling - Vanya Lodnia
Max Jones - Trent Frederic - William Lockwood
Timmy Gettinger

Ryan Lindgren - Adam Fox
Chad Krys - Luke Martin
Cam Dineen - Andrew Peeke
David Farrance

Again, this team like the one we just witnessed will be carried by their depth on offense and in the net. A guy like Gettinger barely has a shot at this team as a 6
'6 monster with a decent scoring touch (ppg so far). Kid belongs here but with Max Jones pretty much locked in, not sure how much snarl they want to go with. Names like Gerlach and Robertson are the non traditional CHL guys playing well, and Lodnia and Chmlevelski are right there as potential first round picks. Add to the mix Norris, Barratt, Reedy, and Mishmash and you have once again a crowded group.

Riley Tufte - well I don't know what to say about this kid as any player that gets 1 assist in 16 college games as a first round pick has a mountain of climb ahead. I am not saying it can't be done, but this has ben a disastrous season for the kid who had such high hopes. If he starts to put things together he can easily be a December camp add.

The two names I think will make a world of a difference for this team will be Mittelstadt and Yamamoto. Both electric players that could have easily made this team. Both will be counted on pretty heavily and both should add much needed firepower to this team.

The forwards are yet again pretty loaded with Keller and Brown down the middle. Thats as elite as it gets. Add Poehling and Frederic and you could have 4 first round picks at center.

Defensively is a wait and see approach again. See who starts to step up end of this season, names like Gleason, Dineen, and Greenway have absolute legit shots at big roles here. This will be a true team effort on the blueline with no true minute eater. It will be a tough time of repeating as champs with this group at defense with no Foote in the mix.

Overall they are easily a medal favorite, ad if they get the picks right with minimal snubs, they have enough firepower and goaltending to get them to the final 4...we will know more in a few months but this group is looking scary good again and should challenge. I don't really see a 2000 being added to camp, but maybe 1 or 2 sneaks in as barely any 99's from the USNDP has a shot at this team currently.

Last edited:

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
I like that team a lot.

As a Stars fan, I really hope Tufte has a big second half this year, and continues that into his sophomore year. I really want to see him on this team.

Like you mentioned, defense is a bit of a question mark. I think a lot can change from now to next year's tourney. Hopefully Gildon and Farrance step up. Foote choosing the US would be a nice add. I guess we'll have to wait and see!

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
I didn't think Matthew Tkachuk would make it directly into the NHL this year, so I was wrong there. I have doubts that Clayton Keller makes it next year, but as I have said I have been wrong before.

As it stands currently, this team will again have strong forward depth and solid goaltending to pick from. The defense will be a motley crue like this year but lacking a stud horse in McAvoy. I don't know if Farance and Gildon can step up in time to be assets here, but as it stands this defense will have some concerns.

Here is my 23 man roster for next years team:

Joey Anderson
Kieffer Bellows
Logan Brown
Trent Frederic
Max Jones
Clayton Keller
Patrick Harper
Casey Mittelstadt
Kailer Yamamoto
Ryan Poehling
Vanya Lodnia
William Lockwood
Timmy Gettinger

Ryan Lindgren
Adam Fox
Chad Krys
Cam Dineen
Luke Martin
Andrew Peeke
David Farrance

Jake Oettinger
Joseph Woll
Cayden Primeau

Kieffer Bellows - Clayton Keller- Joey Anderson
Casey Mittelstadt - Logan Brown - Kailer Yamamoto
Patrick Harper - Ryan Poehling - Vanya Lodnia
Max Jones - Trent Frederic - William Lockwood
Timmy Gettinger

Ryan Lindgren - Adam Fox
Chad Krys - Luke Martin
Cam Dineen - Andrew Peeke
David Farrance

Again, this team like the one we just witnessed will be carried by their depth on offense and in the net. A guy like Gettinger barely has a shot at this team as a 6
'6 monster with a decent scoring touch (ppg so far). Kid belongs here but with Max Jones pretty much locked in, not sure how much snarl they want to go with. Names like Gerlach and Robertson are the non traditional CHL guys playing well, and Lodnia and Chmlevelski are right there as potential first round picks. Add to the mix Norris, Barratt, Reedy, and Mishmash and you have once again a crowded group.

Riley Tufte - well I don't know what to say about this kid as any player that gets 1 assist in 16 college games as a first round pick has a mountain of climb ahead. I am not saying it can't be done, but this has ben a disastrous season for the kid who had such high hopes. If he starts to put things together he can easily be a December camp add.

The two names I think will make a world of a difference for this team will be Mittelstadt and Yamamoto. Both electric players that could have easily made this team. Both will be counted on pretty heavily and both should add much needed firepower to this team.

The forwards are yet again pretty loaded with Keller and Brown down the middle. Thats as elite as it gets. Add Poehling and Frederic and you could have 4 first round picks at center.

Defensively is a wait and see approach again. See who starts to step up end of this season, names like Gleason, Dineen, and Greenway have absolute legit shots at big roles here. This will be a true team effort on the blueline with no true minute eater. It will be a tough time of repeating as champs with this group at defense with no Foote in the mix.

Overall they are easily a medal favorite, ad if they get the picks right with minimal snubs, they have enough firepower and goaltending to get them to the final 4...we will know more in a few months but this group is looking scary good again and should challenge. I don't really see a 2000 being added to camp, but maybe 1 or 2 sneaks in as barely any 99's from the USNDP has a shot at this team currently.

I see it pretty much the same too. I might sub Poehling for Norris or Chemelevski. Maybe Krys or Farrance with Quinn Hughes. We will be strong in net, and should be very well balanced up front again.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
I see it pretty much the same too. I might sub Poehling for Norris or Chemelevski. Maybe Krys or Farrance with Quinn Hughes. We will be strong in net, and should be very well balanced up front again.

I think JD Greenway could be a big part of this team on the back end. I'll hold my thoughts on the D until a few months roll around but they won't be as strong as a whole as last year. I think Lindgren will be our best shut down player next year. I'm up in the air on how much our offense will be able to attack wave after wave. All about how the development of our 99 birth year continues. There will be some good returnees from the 98's offensively but our 99's will have to really step up this tournament.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I think JD Greenway could be a big part of this team on the back end. I'll hold my thoughts on the D until a few months roll around but they won't be as strong as a whole as last year. I think Lindgren will be our best shut down player next year. I'm up in the air on how much our offense will be able to attack wave after wave. All about how the development of our 99 birth year continues. There will be some good returnees from the 98's offensively but our 99's will have to really step up this tournament.

I hope you are right, we are going to need someone with size and skill out there to balance out our top 6. A player like him, if he can improve and develop like his brother has this year, we could have a gem on our hand. But I haven't seen it yet from him at least consistently, but lots of time left before we get there.

I like you am literally just waiting on some 99's to step up on defense. What used to be the backbone of all our WJC teams and a lot of our higher end first round picks (defense) has hit a bump in the road with 98 and 99 birth years. Not terrible by any means but we just need to find a few more guys to rise up and take the role. Hughes is definitely a name to keep an eye on but I am hoping on Farrance to really step up and be the man. Ben Gleason as well would be a solid name if he continues to improve in Hamilton.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I believe Logan Brown and Keller will be in the NHL.

Brown has missed much of the year, he would have to be amazing at camp to stick IMO. He needs a full season of dominating the OHL which he hasn't had yet. He would be the least doubtful of the two IMO to stick in the NHL next year.

Keller needs to get stronger but could make it like Kane has done...he is a 50-50 IMO depending on what the team needs come next year.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Brown has missed much of the year, he would have to be amazing at camp to stick IMO. He needs a full season of dominating the OHL which he hasn't had yet. He would be the least doubtful of the two IMO to stick in the NHL next year.

Keller needs to get stronger but could make it like Kane has done...he is a 50-50 IMO depending on what the team needs come next year.

Unfortunately the Coyotes are proudly one of the few teams that would use Keller in the NHL even if he's not ready. The Oilers are another, but they'd just put him in the press box for entire season just for lulz.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Trent Frederic is starting to look like a risk to turn pro next year.

I don't see the Bruins moving Spooner nor do I think Vegas takes Nash in the expansion draft. If Frederic does leave Wisconsin, I don't see him passing Schaller, Vatrano, Nash, DeBrusk or Spooner on the Bruins depth chart.

Frederic will probably start the year in the AHL for Providence if he comes out of College.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
I don't see the Bruins moving Spooner nor do I think Vegas takes Nash in the expansion draft. If Frederic does leave Wisconsin, I don't see him passing Schaller, Vatrano, Nash, DeBrusk or Spooner on the Bruins depth chart.

Frederic will probably start the year in the AHL for Providence if he comes out of College.

Being in the AHL doesn't necessarily mean the team will let him go though (Christian Fischer this year).

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
looks like Keller will be gone in the NHL.

that is a loss we cannot replace. we still have depth, but man are we talking a beating lately with kids jumping to the NHL.

we need someone on the USNDP team next year to step up and be a dominant player - Wise, Wahlstrom, etc...

Jason Robertson has certainly made a case to be here - work more on his skating over the summer and he should be here with the year he just had.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
looks like Keller will be gone in the NHL.

that is a loss we cannot replace. we still have depth, but man are we talking a beating lately with kids jumping to the NHL.

we need someone on the USNDP team next year to step up and be a dominant player - Wise, Wahlstrom, etc...

Jason Robertson has certainly made a case to be here - work more on his skating over the summer and he should be here with the year he just had.

Im glad he'll be in the League buts its a killer for sure. We do have some depth so hopefully we'll figure it out. Personally, right now Id go Brown, Frederic, Poehling, Chmlevski down the middle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad