Series Discussion: 2018 Stanley Cup Final: Washington Capitals vs Vegas Golden Knights

Who wins?

• Total voters

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
This might be the greatest podcast ever but the title makes me livid. It already sets up the narrative that if the Caps lose it's Ovechkin's fault.

Screen Shot 2018-05-25 at 12.34.10 PM.png

FYI if it is Ovie against Vegas, I'm pretty sure Ovie is gonna lose.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I've spent the last two days lurking on every teams individual "Around the league" thread to try and gain a sense of what they think of this match up and I've pulled something interesting out. Every board not named VGK or Wash is sitting around and spinning their wheels trying to figure out how to make their team's look like ours. It a great highlight of the absurdity of hockey. Here we've been for the last 10 years in the same position, studying each Cup finalist and hypothesizing how to replicate our club to look like them. Meanwhile we put together this team that no one felt was a contender and we're 4 W's away from the Cup. The point is clear, this league unpredictable, trying to replicate others won't get you far. Watching teams with vastly superior rosters on paper talking about trying to get guys like Stephenson and Vrana is almost too rich.

There is no key, there never was. Keep searching for that fountain of youth Ponce De Leon you're going to waste what remaining years you have.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
There is no key, there never was. Keep searching for that fountain of youth Ponce De Leon you're going to waste what remaining years you have.

Yep. It is so much luck and bounces and getting favorable matchups and praying a key guy doesn't get injured, and most importantly a hot goalie, as much as it you are the best team.

p.s. I love reading those threads of Metro teams and reading the reaction to how bad the next team is "gonna destroy" the Caps in the next game or round. It still might happen of course, but it has been fun to read.

Drakon

Mar 31, 2014
Lame. I had 3 tickets next to eachother through Vegas' team site, but you can't leave a single seat next to your block of tickets, and they were non-transferable, so I'd have had to eat a seat, at 550 a piece that's just a silly rule.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Hockey is very random, at least compared to other sports where you already know the final 4 in week 1. Of preseason.

Willy needs to turn the other cheek and keep earning us PPs. But the hockey codes will dictate when they fight. Reaves is going to squash someone and have to answer to Tom. I always liked that series over fight, of course only coupled with a series win.

Last edited:

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
What is the status of DSP and Orpik injuries? Sorry if I missed it.

I haven't seen anything on it. I heard Connelly on the radio this morning and I think he said yesterday was off day and today is an optional/treatment day so may not get any news until closer to game. I would guess Orpik is in good shape for playing game 1 since he came back to the bench in the 3rd period. DSP who knows

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
Caps last practice before they fly out is Saturday at Kettler. All are encouraged to attend. practice at 10:30, send off at noon

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Vegas's speed will be tough for Orpik, but he's had a strong post season. It goes without saying there have been times he has covered for Djoos, including that series changer helper in our crease in game 7. Only after Djoos and Orpik prevented that goal, that I started to believe. It was tough to see but I think Orpik got credited with the final save. That's how close a team is from posting a shutout and heading to Vegas, or going back to Kettler to clean out the locker. It wasn't luck this time. He probably saw Djoos in front and said faaaaaa.

Orpik has been a f***ing tank and I hope getting boarded didn't injure him too badly. We need him to make their diminutive speedy forwards think twice. He usually shows a lot of blue line pain in game 1s. I loved his battle with Vanek who checked out for the rest of the series.

Dont trade Bura on a high. Sell Orpik too. Bundle and save on a GM trying to emulate us. Pressured by their fans. We need more breakaways and hitting!!1!

Last edited:

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I know it doesn’t matter but I swear that’s Beagle’s EN goal at the end of R3G7. Not sure why they haven’t changed it over to him...

Reactions: ovikovy817

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
I know it doesn’t matter but I swear that’s Beagle’s EN goal at the end of R3G7. Not sure why they haven’t changed it over to him...
I'm not sure why it was billed unassisted anyway. It will be changed. The stats reviewers are super busy this time of year, give them some time.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
:sarcasm:

No one cares.... of course except draft kings.

Our game had all we wanted for fans blood pressure control. Early goal, slowly adding more goals, and then the waiting to exhale ENG. Seriously with 5 minutes left I was still not celebrating. Flashing back to the Ward penalty....

CapsDC

May 2, 2018

No one cares.... of course except draft kings.

Our game had all we wanted for fans blood pressure control. Early goal, slowly adding more goals, and then the waiting to exhale ENG. Seriously with 5 minutes left I was still not celebrating. Flashing back to the Ward penalty....

tenor.gif

Reactions: billcook

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
I watched some VGK games. They're like robots. Very few mistakes, quick and precises passes, attacking at full speed non stop. Very scary team, but their system is quite simple, while ours can change depending on situation, that's why I belive we can win. Caps can adapt their game, and it's not a simple one. Many different roles in this team. I think strategically, we have an upper hand. Go Caps!

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

EYEuhFRAYtee

Smile
Apr 28, 2004

Once the fourth goal went in I allowed myself to believe they were going to the finals, the first three weren't enough.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I watched some VGK games. They're like robots. Very few mistakes, quick and precises passes, attacking at full speed non stop. Very scary team, but their system is quite simple, while ours can change depending on situation, that's why I belive we can win. Caps can adapt their game, and it's not a simple one. Many different roles in this team. I think strategically, we have an upper hand. Go Caps!

Everyone has a system until they're punched in the mouth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad