2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
The Canucks have no business chasing high priced free agent wingers until they address their defense.

I would argue we should be staying the course of the rebuild still anyway and this early season success is an abberation and we'll come crashing to earth sooner or later.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
The Canucks might be as good as their record indicates. We've never seen them with Petterson before. I'd build around him.

I'm a little concerned that they lack goalie depth. I think they need a veteran goalie as insurance.

Defense is showing unexpected upside. A Tanev led unit seems viable. I think keeping Edler just makes sense, though. They need a key guy to really max out the offensive chances Petterson generates. Also, would it be a sin to hire a bodyguard for the smallish forwards? Sedins had Rome. Petterson has Gudbranson?

As the season progresses the team will be better understood throughout the league and options will open for them. I question Benning's ability to acquire players at market value. This, IMO, is a serious issue. Top teams aren't managed by poor GMs. If the Canucks want to build on early gains and bolster the roster for a playoff run, they might need a new guy?

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Ben Hutton rebounding to previous form is huge for this organization. If Quinn Hughes can step in next season and provide some offense from the back-end and Edler is retained, the defense isn't a complete disaster. Lacks a true #1 guy, but teams in the past have proven you can win it all without a true #1 as long as everyone buys into the system and plays their part. Being led up front by an elite level center usually helps in this regard.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Ben Hutton rebounding to previous form is huge for this organization. If Quinn Hughes can step in next season and provide some offense from the back-end and Edler is retained, the defense isn't a complete disaster. Lacks a true #1 guy, but teams in the past have proven you can win it all without a true #1 as long as everyone buys into the system and plays their part. Being led up front by an elite level center usually helps in this regard.
This. Also Juolevi is a wildcard, he could be up next year..

Hughes-Tanev
Hutton-Stetcher
Edler/Juolevi-Gudbranson.

As of right now, I’d go for a buy low deal and target Tanner Pearson from La, or even Tyler Toffoli(more expensive). La fans want something around Goldy for Pearson which I wouldn’t mind.

Superlative Soup

Treasured and Marveled
Apr 8, 2013
Saskatchewan
The Canucks might be as good as their record indicates. We've never seen them with Petterson before. I'd build around him.

I'm a little concerned that they lack goalie depth. I think they need a veteran goalie as insurance.

Defense is showing unexpected upside. A Tanev led unit seems viable. I think keeping Edler just makes sense, though. They need a key guy to really max out the offensive chances Petterson generates. Also, would it be a sin to hire a bodyguard for the smallish forwards? Sedins had Rome. Petterson has Gudbranson?

As the season progresses the team will be better understood throughout the league and options will open for them. I question Benning's ability to acquire players at market value. This, IMO, is a serious issue. Top teams aren't managed by poor GMs. If the Canucks want to build on early gains and bolster the roster for a playoff run, they might need a new guy?

Gudbranson sure showed Matheson what happens when you touch Elias.

Reactions: geebaan

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
With role players stepping up big time and the team having success do we really need both Sutter & Beagle? Baertschi? Edler? Buy low and sell high, when these guys are back playing decently we should trade them for prospects or draft picks. Im hoping Sutter & Edler are gone, what do you guys think?

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
With role players stepping up big time and the team having success do we really need both Sutter & Beagle? Baertschi? Edler? Buy low and sell high, when these guys are back playing decently we should trade them for prospects or draft picks. Im hoping Sutter & Edler are gone, what do you guys think?
If Guddy managed to somehow throw together a productive season, we could convince someone to take him off our hands.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
If Guddy managed to somehow throw together a productive season, we could convince someone to take him off our hands.

Assuming Hughes and Juolevi are on the team next year, pouliot will be redundant. Re sign edler. Trade guddy.

Run with

Hughes tanev
Edler Stecher
Juolevi Hutton

Quite possibly the least physical d in the league but very mobile

Reactions: vanarchy

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Assuming Hughes and Juolevi are on the team next year, pouliot will be redundant. Re sign edler. Trade guddy.

Run with

Hughes tanev
Edler Stecher
Juolevi Hutton

Hutton is a LD. Either Hughes or Juolevi likely won't make the team next season. I don't see how it's feasible to have two of your three LD as rookies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Hutton is a LD. Either Hughes or Juolevi likely won't make the team next season. I don't see how it's feasible to have two of your three LD as rookies.

I can't see Hughes signing and not making the team. Then again, if Juolevi doesn't make the team in his Draft +4 season I think we can start to write off his potential. The latter seems more plausible than Hughes not making the team.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I can't see Hughes signing and not making the team. Then again, if Juolevi doesn't make the team in his Draft +4 season I think we can start to write off his potential. The latter seems more plausible than Hughes not making the team.

We're going to trade Hutton aren't we..

:whine:

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008

That's why I think we're going to trade Juolevi. Based on how Juolevi's played this season, he should start next season on a NHL roster, playing sheltered minutes 5-on-5 and 1st unit PP. Well that's kind of how we need to use Hughes too, so I don't see how we can have both. Therefore, we need to trade Juolevi.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Is Puljujarvi 100% busto or is he a potential bargain?

Puljujarvi could potentially be, but Edmonton’s track record of destroying the careers of many promising players is a huge factor. I’d try to pry him free if I was Benning, Id gamble a 2nd and a middling prospect ( lind/gadjovic/palmu)

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I highly doubt were getting young fast players with size from division rivals that are looking for exactly that.
Not a big fan of Puljujarvi or probably Edmonton's asking price but you never know.

Sprong I hear hasn't been very popular with teammates at any level and has some serious one way tendencies...I dont know where these guys would play anyways as its gonna be impossible to move Eriksson and Virtanen deserves to move up when he's playing well

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
That's why I think we're going to trade Juolevi. Based on how Juolevi's played this season, he should start next season on a NHL roster, playing sheltered minutes 5-on-5 and 1st unit PP. Well that's kind of how we need to use Hughes too, so I don't see how we can have both. Therefore, we need to trade Juolevi.

Think we can get Tkachuk for him? ;)

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Isn't Hughes capable of playing both sides?

Maybe he can, but we should be putting him in the best position to succeed. It's not like he plays the right side just as good as he does the left. In all likelihood, he's a lot better on the left than he is the right.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I think we trade Edler and run with:

Hughes-Tanev
Hutton-Gudbranson
Juolevi-Stetcher

Some buy low candidates we should be all over are: Toffoli, Kempe, Pearson, Sprong, Puljujarvi etc

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad