Prospect Info: 2018 Rookie Tournament

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
The Leafs will play in the 2018 rookie tournament in games against prospect squads from Ottawa and Montreal. The tournament will take place from September 7th - 9th in Laval. Lots of players from all 3 teams I am curious in seeing after the summer.

Let’s post rosters and other news in this thread when available.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
I'm surprised they haven't posted the roster yet? I mean, the rookie tournament is next week.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Dl2qe0mU0AM_jdu.jpg

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Should be a good tournament. Looking forward to seeing some of those guys play.

Gonna be good to see Sandin and Durzi... hope they're good.

Gundrstrom going to have to dominate if he wants a chance at making the Leafs.

Bracco and Lilegren should both look good in this tournament too.

Reactions: Garthinater

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
Roman Pucek could be a stealth pick up. Coming to play for the Soo this upcoming season after going undrafted this past draft in his first year of eligibility. He absolutely wrecked the Czech U18 league last year. Anyone have any more info on this guy?

As for going undrafted, my guess is that he was perceived as playing against lesser competition.

Reactions: Scott Malkinson

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Some surprise names like Bracco, Brooks and Nielsen continuing to be sent to play in a rookie tournament.

It's not totally unusual to see guys get 3 tournaments. I think Nielsen is the only real surprise, because there are 11 defensemen there already and they do have a pretty good idea about him right now. This is his 4th tournament. More surprised Engvall was not brought in, since it would be his first one.

Grundstrom-Brooks-Bracco
Marchment-SDA-Piccinich
Ferguson-Stotts-Moore
Pucek-McGregor-Zummack
Elynuik-Bradley-Pooley
Estephan-Plouffe

Sandin-Liljegren
Nielsen-Lindgren
Gordeev-Durzi
LeBlanc-Kral
Hunter-Hollowell
Rubins

Scott-Bouthillier

I would have trimmed the roster down a little bit to give more ice time to the important guys. I think they could have survived without Pooley, Plouffe, Hunter and Rubins. That would leave 15 forwards (most of which are natural centers), 9 defensemen and 2 goalies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Roman Pucek could be a stealth pick up. Coming to play for the Soo this upcoming season after going undrafted this past draft in his first year of eligibility. He absolutely wrecked the Czech U18 league last year. Anyone have any more info on this guy?

As for going undrafted, my guess is that he was perceived as playing against lesser competition.

Ripping apart the U18 league in your draft year means pretty much nothing. He was not even the top scoring guy in that league. It pretty much just makes you a late 1st or a 2nd round pick in the Import Draft to maybe become a solid role player in the CHL. To put it into perspective, the guys drafted out of the Czech leagues were all playing for their pro teams, and had torn apart the U18 league as 16 or 17 year old players. They had already torn apart the U20 leagues as well.

The guy is only here because we needed depth on the wings and he was pretty much the only guy left over from our development camp. It would take a lot for him to be seriously considered, unless Dubas decides to stick with familiarity again.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017

Pucek is the guy on this roster that could either sign a deal before the season starts or get drafted in 2019.

The Maple Leafs had him at developmental camp and he was drafted by the Soo.

Dubas probably likes him.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Can anyone shed some light on Jesper Lindgren. All the highlights I find are of his offense, what is his defense like at this stage?

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
I am most excited to see Filip Kral play in this tournament. He is going to boom or bust so let’s see what side he is on.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Lots and lots of players I really wanna see so I won't bother listing them all, but I really hope the coaches pair up Liljgren with Sandin :naughty:

Who's coaching by the way? Keefe? I gotta do more research obv but y'all usually cover everything I need to stop know anyways. Much appreciated

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad