Speculation: 2018 RFA compensation list released (offer sheets)

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I'd just like to point out that according to this FAQ from CapGeek, the maximum salary that can be buried in the AHL without counting against the cap this season is $1,025,000. Any more than that and a player in the AHL takes up some real NHL cap space.

And, according to the compensation list in the OP, a player can be signed to an offer sheet with no compensation for anything at or lower than $1,339,575.

The spot in between those two numbers is interesting for players that probably won't make their NHL roster next season. A team with some cap room, like Arizona for example, could offer sheet some borderline NHL players by putting the offersheet right in the window between those numbers.

A cap ceiling team won't be willing to match if it means they have to use their NHL cap space on a player they plan to keep in the AHL. But the team making the offer doesn't have to pay any compensation. It wouldn't buy you any star players. But it could get you some depth prospects/borderline NHLers.

I'm not expert on NHL prospects, but some players that look like they might fit in that window would be Hunter Shinkaruk, Beau Bennett, Hudson Fasching, Kerby Rychel, Freddy Gauthier, Tobias Lindberg.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
All bust

Not gonna offersheet those guys.

They'll pass through waivers for free.

Ya, some of them might. Like I said, I don't know every prospect. But there could be someone worth getting in that range. And you know a lot of the players in that situation would probably be happy to sign an offer sheet to change organizations rather than stay if they expect to play in the AHL.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Offer sheets won't happen.

The interesting thing however, is RFAs that may be traded due to the threat of one and/or other players that may be moved due to the cap implications of signing their own RFAs (see Ryan Spooner)

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Wow. If offer sheets don't happen given those values, it's just ridiculous. There are many players that could be offered at the 2nd round level, and at the 1st/3rd level.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Wonder if the sabres offer helly a 7x 8.1 million dollar deal, would solve their goaltending problems and only cost 3 picks.

You have to divide the total contract by a max of 5 years, so that would end up being over 11 million per year and 4 first round picks

Reactions: Grabner

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Now presenting your Colorado Senators and the Ottawa Avalanche!

The Avs are like that dirtbag rich husband who the wife (Senators) have become accustomed to living with and now think they can't move on from. Meanwhile the Avs control every bit of the Sens life and threaten to leave with all the money if they don't obey. :laugh:

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Dude do you even pay attention to facts? Look up CapFriendly Detroit is hardly in cap trouble, We've $18,100,000 right now on 14 players cap goes to $80 million that's another $5 million plus Franzen on LTIR clears another $4 million since Holland like to spend up to the cap. Detroit is hardly in cap trouble Detroit could easily have $27 million to $30 million to spend this summer. With Larkin, Mantha, AA, Bertuzzi, Possibly Frk sign a backup Detroit isn't in cap trouble try and offer sheet our players that there will be big time paybacks.

If Detroit loses Larkin how would they retaliate? By compensating another team with their lottery 2019 lottery pick?

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Ya, some of them might. Like I said, I don't know every prospect. But there could be someone worth getting in that range. And you know a lot of the players in that situation would probably be happy to sign an offer sheet to change organizations rather than stay if they expect to play in the AHL.

It's not a bad idea; but the 50 contract limit restricts the ability to load up on other team's failed long shots.

Reactions: iSophagus

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The compensation favors the stronger teams by a huge amount. The Sabres, who are desperate for D, would still be crazy to offer sheet Matt Dumba. Pittsburgh, OTOH, not so much. How valuable is a pick in the mid 20's, especially when you can net yourself a 23yo top 4 RHD who is a weapon on the PP?

Seems out of whack.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I wish Toronto had the guts to break the bank and shoot for Dumba or Trouba or someone.
1st +2nd +3rd is fairish value.

The risk of retaliation is a big one though..
TOR is one of the teams that should think about it. Their 1st isn't very valuable...there's a big difference between a first rounder in the 20's and a #4oa, or something like that.

Retaliation? The only players who might might be a target, if it gets that far, would be Nylander or Marner. You should have room to match for those two. Signing one of the two Dmen in question would allow for letting Gardiner and his cap hit go.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
It's not a bad idea; but the 50 contract limit restricts the ability to load up on other team's failed long shots.

Thanks! And yes, "failed long shots" is exactly the kind of player you'd likely be looking at.

I don't really expect any players to get snagged this way, since offer sheets almost never happen, but it is possible. It would make sense for an organization that has some money available and is in need of depth.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Same as every year, there won't be a single offer sheet made. Every year, someone makes a thread about it, like it happens all the time or something and yet nothing. If Draisaitl wasn't enough to warrant an offersheet then it likely isn't an option teams are even interested in looking at.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Someone in the Atlantic who is able to put together a serious offer sheet should be targeting Detriot... they are in cap trouble, and have a lot of enticing RFA's (sorry Wing's fans)

Larkin or Mantha specifically. Detroit would have a difficult dilemma presented if either player got an offer sheet for $5-6 mil per (1st & 3rd rd pick compensation)
Detroit has so many picks already and would likely want to match... but they're in cap trouble regardless, and being forced to match that would present a lot more headaches for them, which should be a goal of every team in the Atlantic/Eastern Conference especially.

But I expect absolutely nothing to happen. Two years in a row, it could not have been more obvious which players should be getting flooded with offer-sheets to put their teams in a difficult position whether to match or not, yet neither did (or at least neither signed them if they were in-fact sent offers) and their teams skated away with great deals. I'm talking about Kucherov and Pastrnak here.

It's almost as if there is a silent agreement between owners/GM's not to offer sheet each-other, because nobody can deny there should be more than there are. I get my hopes up every year that someone will have the stones to send a smart offer sheet out there, but it never happens.

How could everyone let Tampa get away with keeping Kucherov for $4.76m per?!? Blows my mind. /rant

Detroit has plenty of space to resign Larkin, Mantha and AA all to big pay raises, there is no cap issue this season. AA for one is also not likely to be getting the increase he would like as he was quite disappointing this season.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
as note above, just because it is offered, the guy doesn't have to sign
and hockey guys typically don't just go for the highest salary

(was thinking about that this AM listening to sports radio,
where they said it was most likely an impending Celtics UFA
would take $14M from any old team,
over $12M to stay with a young and rising team,
because it would only be about "show me the money")

the real value in being well paid is not having to make decisions based on money

plus, as discussed so much the last couple years, the variations, from state to state, re income tax etc, can mean all dollars are NOT equal
while the RFA comp tables are strictly based on contract ##s

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad