Patriots/NFL 2018 Regular Season - 1-0 - On to Jacksonville 9/16 4:25 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Butler has been a top 20 or so CB in the league since that play.

Pats didn't want to pay him like a top 10 guy after they went and got Gilmore who they prefer.

BB likely didn't want Malcolm jumping a route and taking a pick to the house and him being forced to keep him around. And he thought after the illness he was only going to get him at 70% or so. He made a decision that 100% Rowe was better than 70% Butler. Thats fine and dandy but not making a change at halftime and doubling down is where he screwed us and cost the team a ring. We didn't friggen punt in that game.

NFL1000: Ranking the Top Outside Cornerbacks of 2017 Season

Coverage:
17/25
Reaction:
14/25
Recovery:
15/25
Tackling:
10/15
Position Value:
10/10
Overall Grade:
66/100
The New England Patriots flirted with trading Butler prior to his contract season, and they may regret not capitalizing on his value considering he had a down year. Butler is a tough-nosed, physical corner who has to win early at the line of scrimmage, or else, with his average speed (4.62 40-yard dash) and route-recognition skills, he struggles to catch up.
He's a scheme-versatile player and showed improved zone instincts, and his ability to slide into the slot is a bonus. Overall, he's not consistent enough to be viewed as more than a role player, though

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I used to get Seattle Pilots baseball cards when I was a kid and I still consider the Brewers an expansion team.

Would it have been better for Brady if he had gone to a more talented team? Would he have won more SBs?
I vehemently disagree that the Patriots during this run were not talented

I believe with Matt Casell they had the best + differential

At least a half dozen of those last 18 teams were top 3 or 4 in overall talent

I remember Cowher and jimmy Johnson both saying the Patriots were deeper then any team 23-53

It’s tough to say what they should have because so many SB and even seasons (hello Indy 2006) where they could have won or lost on one play

5 seems about right but maybe not the 5 they have

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
NFL1000: Ranking the Top Outside Cornerbacks of 2017 Season

Coverage:
17/25
Reaction: 14/25
Recovery: 15/25
Tackling: 10/15
Position Value: 10/10
Overall Grade: 66/100
The New England Patriots flirted with trading Butler prior to his contract season, and they may regret not capitalizing on his value considering he had a down year. Butler is a tough-nosed, physical corner who has to win early at the line of scrimmage, or else, with his average speed (4.62 40-yard dash) and route-recognition skills, he struggles to catch up.
He's a scheme-versatile player and showed improved zone instincts, and his ability to slide into the slot is a bonus. Overall, he's not consistent enough to be viewed as more than a role player, though
That guy has his opinion I got mine and mines more in line with John Robinson and Mike Vrabal

I’m not looking to change anyone’s opinion just voicing my displeasure watching that game wondering if after the game we learn Butler has hand, foot, and mouth disease

I get it Butler didn’t play like Mike Haynes but last two SB he played they won and there is 0.0 chance Malcolm Butler can’t handle the moment

Heck- Julio Jones had a spectacular SB and Malcolm Butler still got credit for great coverage that game

Hey, if you are going to lose the Eagles and those long suffering folks in Philadelphia are my pick

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
That guy has his opinion I got mine and mines more in line with John Robinson and Mike Vrabal

I’m not looking to change anyone’s opinion just voicing my displeasure watching that game wondering if after the game we learn Butler has hand, foot, and mouth disease

I get it Butler didn’t play like Mike Haynes but last two SB he played they won and there is 0.0 chance Malcolm Butler can’t handle the moment

Heck- Julio Jones had a spectacular SB and Malcolm Butler still got credit for great coverage that game

Hey, if you are going to lose the Eagles and those long suffering folks in Philadelphia are my pick

Regardless of what you think of Butler as a whole, he was extremely inconsistent last season.

My memory is failing as I get older, but I didn't think Butler covered Rowe in the SB vs ATL? I thought it was predominantly Logan Ryan and the bigger Rowe?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Regardless of what you think of Butler as a whole, he was extremely inconsistent last season.

My memory is failing as I get older, but I didn't think Butler covered Rowe in the SB vs ATL? I thought it was predominantly Logan Ryan and the bigger Rowe?

Like I have posted I’m just voicing my displeasure and not looking for converts

We have a player who turned down a multi year deal from the team in season who played 100% of defensive snaps against Tennessee & Jacksonville. A player with a SB resume against Seattle and Atlanta.

I just don’t take those points and reach a conclusion he doesn’t play

I was confused to be honest until Danny Amendola tosses out the agenda word

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Like I have posted I’m just voicing my displeasure and not looking for converts

We have a player who turned down a multi year deal from the team in season who played 100% of defensive snaps against Tennessee & Jacksonville. A player with a SB resume against Seattle and Atlanta.

I just don’t take those points and reach a conclusion he doesn’t play

I was confused to be honest until Danny Amendola tosses out the agenda word

What agenda? I'm lost, which isn't unusual, but still.

The agenda that Bill is smarter than everyone else?

I think that he had decided that Butler wasn't coming back long before the postseason? Personally, I feel that if Butler didn't do anything wrong, as he and the Pats have said, he should have been in the game, and likely gives them a better chance to win. At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Jason Mac performs better than Butler this year.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
Sony Michel had his knee drained today after an injury at practice Wednesday. Expected to miss much of the preseason. Maybe even beginning of regular season according to Jeff Howe. Wasn’t the knock on him his knee going into the draft?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Sony Michel had his knee drained today after an injury at practice Wednesday. Expected to miss much of the preseason. Maybe even beginning of regular season according to Jeff Howe. Wasn’t the knock on him his knee going into the draft?

Patriots 'Comfortable' With Sony Michel's Injury History

Yes...... This is not an issue you want coming up at all, never mind before he even plays an NFL snap. There was this tweet by Ian Rapoport, follow up to the Howe tweet:

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
What agenda? I'm lost, which isn't unusual, but still.

The agenda that Bill is smarter than everyone else?

I think that he had decided that Butler wasn't coming back long before the postseason? Personally, I feel that if Butler didn't do anything wrong, as he and the Pats have said, he should have been in the game, and likely gives them a better chance to win. At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Jason Mac performs better than Butler this year.

Butler leveraging his pick to get paid
Bill saying we don't need you to win a SB
Whoops.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Butler leveraging his pick to get paid
Bill saying we don't need you to win a SB
Whoops.

I don’t recall Butler ever saying a word publicly to that effect? Doesn’t seem like his style?

It was my understanding that he was anxious to get paid because he started his NFL career later than most players and the clock was ticking. This clashed with the Patriots policy of playing for your current contract and not renegotiating early. When the Pats signed the taller Gilmore for big $$$, I figured Butler was gone at the end of his deal.

Then Butler followed up a very good year with a pretty bad one. He was sick and missed the team flight and a couple of practices SB week and B.B. made a decision (likely the wrong one).

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
The loss at the Super Bowl was the beginning of the end,they'll be 10-6 this year and the franchise will fall apart soon after
Other than that I hope everyone has a great day and enjoys the Sun

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
The loss at the Super Bowl was the beginning of the end,they'll be 10-6 this year and the franchise will fall apart soon after
So when they end up like 12-4 and back in the AFCCG at the least, I hope someone quotes this.

This freaking team lost the Super Bowl with a chance to be 19-0, and still went 11-5 the next year with a terrible QB and a roster that frankly wasnt all that great to begin with outside of Moss/Welker and just a putrid defense. They'll be fine.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
People have been saying that dynasty is over shit since 2002, ad the one year where they falter, they're going to come back like "I told you so!"

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

Last 18 years must have been horrible on you. So much jealousy and misery over a legendary football team. Don't worry you arent alone.

Keep it going Pats!

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Sad to see, albeit not surprising. He had a ton of promise, but I don't think he'll ever be healthy at this point.

They don't win SB LI without him though. That alone made the pick worth it.

Reactions: McGarnagle

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Malcolm Mitchell also seems to be one of the real good guys in football. He was working with kids and writing children's books from the time he was in college.

Sucks that he couldn't stay healthy. His elbow injury in the preseason his rookie year was one of the sickest things I've ever seen live, but somehow he was back really quickly after that.

Reactions: JRull86

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Malcolm Mitchell also seems to be one of the real good guys in football. He was working with kids and writing children's books from the time he was in college.

Sucks that he couldn't stay healthy. His elbow injury in the preseason his rookie year was one of the sickest things I've ever seen live, but somehow he was back really quickly after that.
Definitely seems that way. At least he has a passion that he can fall back on if his NFL career is over.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I haven’t been paying attention to Camp. If someone has a minute can they do some updates on:

1) How has the O-Line looked, specifically Wynn and Brown?

2) How has Shelton looked?

3) Have any of the young or unknown LB’s stood out?

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad