Patriots/NFL 2018 Regular Season - 1-0 - On to Jacksonville 9/16 4:25 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Outsider asking for opinions on that last Super Bowl. If you guys never win one again, does that loss and let's face it a probable win if Butler plays. take away from the past two decades?

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Report: New Book Suggests Tom Brady Was Given Alternative to Deflategate Suspension

"A new book about Deflategate states that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell offered Tom Brady a $1 million fine and an admission of the suspects behind the scandal, reports ABC.

According to ABC, the authors wrote Brady refused and it quoted him saying this to NFLPA director DeMaurice Smith: "There’s no way I’m gonna ruin these guys for something I believe they didn’t do."
"

Report: Brady spared reps with Deflategate suspension

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Unless the SB only lasts 28 minutes instead of the usual 60, the above is nothing more than cherry-picked stats.

The Pats scored 33 pts. The Pats special teams missed an extra point AND a field goal. So the offense put them in position to score 37 potential points. That should be enough to win FAR more often than not.

The defense gave up 41 pts. If that's not Dennis Eckersley "yuck" worthy, I don't know what is.

Let's not try to put the blame on literally the one unit to do it's job.

Yes they scored 33 points but I prefer the pats not have to play catchup football where Brady is forced to throw for 500 yards. The first half wasn't pretty for the offense no matter how you spin it. Fans can say butler is 100% reason the pats loss, that their right. I argue it one of many factors. Losing Cooks didn't help, missing FG's XP's and not converting TDs, suspect playcalling from Mcdaniels, bad pass rush are factors too.

Last edited:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Outsider asking for opinions on that last Super Bowl. If you guys never win one again, does that loss and let's face it a probable win if Butler plays. take away from the past two decades?

Hell no. There are still enough of us older guys around who aren't spoiled rotten by the last 20 years. I lived through Tony Eason and Hugh Millen, there is nothing that will ever take away from Brady winning 5 (or going to 8).

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

What if the Bruins won 5 titles in the past 2 decades but gave one away, would it take away from the 5 cups?

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I have not seen or heard one single person say not playing Malcom was 100% the reason they lost.

But it was the single most inexplicable coaching decision ever made by Belichick, and one of the worst in SB history.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
If they played Zane McIntyre over Tuukka Rask in a game 7, I may have a bad taste in my mouth, sure, but overall no.

Not sure if you're referencing Malcom Butler on the same level as a tuukka rask in terms of being a game breaker. I think he made a huge name for himself with that Seattle interception but I find him pretty avg as a corner back. I don't think he comes close to living up to the contract Tennessee pays him. Seems to me to be a likely candidate to get cut when they have the opportunity. Curious to see what the Tennessee fans will think of his game.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If the pats had anything resembling a pass rush the secondary would have looked a lot better. Let’s not pretend butler is a game breaking corner like ty law. Perhaps his absence had an effect but certainly it would have been 1 of many factors which contributed. I still will always be a fan of his for the Seattle INT
It’s really f***ing simple

The Eagles completion and YAC was historic and that vindictive prick stood there and didn’t use a guy who played 100 % snaps the previous 2 weeks - playoff games

I have heard albeit second hand but pretty damn good source the TEAM that played in the SB was in the locker room played in the game and has heard the stories are livid Belichick did this

Oh wait

Buhhhh buuuuh Butler played crappy all year

Loser loser loser comment

The guy made arguably the biggest play in SB history and I’ve Read Butler would not have made a difference

Bwhahahaha bwhahahaha

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
It’s really ****ing simple

The Eagles completion and YAC was historic and that vindictive prick stood there and didn’t use a guy who played 100 % snaps the previous 2 weeks - playoff games

I have heard albeit second hand but pretty damn good source the TEAM that played in the SB was in the locker room played in the game and has heard the stories are livid Belichick did this

Oh wait

Buhhhh buuuuh Butler played crappy all year

Loser loser loser comment

The guy made arguably the biggest play in SB history and I’ve Read Butler would not have made a difference

Bwhahahaha bwhahahaha

It was a great play yes, sometimes players come out of nowhere to make superbowl changing plays that nobody expected , kind of like David Tyree did.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Not sure if you're referencing Malcom Butler on the same level as a tuukka rask in terms of being a game breaker. I think he made a huge name for himself with that Seattle interception but I find him pretty avg as a corner back. I don't think he comes close to living up to the contract Tennessee pays him. Seems to me to be a likely candidate to get cut when they have the opportunity. Curious to see what the Tennessee fans will think of his game.

Butler has been a top 20 or so CB in the league since that play.

Pats didn't want to pay him like a top 10 guy after they went and got Gilmore who they prefer.

BB likely didn't want Malcolm jumping a route and taking a pick to the house and him being forced to keep him around. And he thought after the illness he was only going to get him at 70% or so. He made a decision that 100% Rowe was better than 70% Butler. Thats fine and dandy but not making a change at halftime and doubling down is where he screwed us and cost the team a ring. We didn't friggen punt in that game.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Yes they scored 33 points but I prefer the pats not have to play catchup football where Brady is forced to throw for 500 yards.

So it's the offense's fault that they are playing "catchup football"? The offense gave up those first half points? Interesting.

The first half wasn't pretty for the offense no matter how you spin it.

1. I never said it was "pretty".

2. You're the one "spinning it" by cherry-picking the score after 25 mins of play and deliberately omitting the TD at the end of the first half because it doesn't fit your agenda. I'm looking at the game in its entirety and NOT blaming the offense for the special teams gaffes in the first half that cost them 4 pts.....the complete opposite of spinning. Make the extra point and field goal and the Pats have 16 pts at the half. Maybe make a stop on one of the 327 third downs the Eagles converted and you're not "chasing the score". Maybe.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Belichick has made 2 moves that made me apoplectic in his tenure as they happened

1. Was watching Badamosi get torched while Butler stood there

2. Was this

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadsp...ng-belichicks-insane-decision-not-to-kick/amp

When I die and go to heaven (maybe not first ballot but veterans committee) I want to see what happens if Belichick makes the right move and doesn’t act like a petulant child

BB isn't perfect but we've been to 3 Superbowls in the past 4 years. Nobody outside of NE is going to feel sorry for us. I got over this loss quickly considering the 28-3 miracle comeback we saw a year earlier. I want to see Brady go out like Elway winning 2 more. I can live having the petulant child as coach if this happens

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I'm not sure Gostkowski hits that one hes not great in the playoffs.

Its hard to remember how bad Chris Hanson was that year he wasn't terrible and it hardly matters but he was bad (I know he wasn't Ken Walter bad the first 3 teams had terrible punters) but BB clearly thought he was going to pound it into the end zone. He definitely was bad enough that we all wish we let Gostkowski try it though noone demands a punt which is what we really should have done.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I have not seen or heard one single person say not playing Malcom was 100% the reason they lost.

But it was the single most inexplicable coaching decision ever made by Belichick, and one of the worst in SB history.
Bang on

When I hear Cars for Kids Jingle I dive for the radio to shut it off

It now has company

When Bill Belichick says ‘I’m just doing what’s best for the team to win’

Is there really one Patriots fan who today in a do over would not want to see Malcolm Butler in that game like he was the previous 2 weeks

Even Belichick is a God have to realize

1. They did lose
2. How they lost
3. The coach watched it as his starting corner stood feet away

That yellow thing in the sky is the sun

Bill Belichick really messed up

Both are undeniable and non debatable

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
BB isn't perfect but we've been to 3 Superbowls in the past 4 years. Nobody outside of NE is going to feel sorry for us. I got over this loss quickly considering the 28-3 miracle comeback we saw a year earlier. I want to see Brady go out like Elway winning 2 more. I can live having the petulant child as coach if this happens
He screwed up it’s ok

People need to just admit it and say it

Reactions: LSCII

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Bang on

When I hear Cars for Kids Jingle I dive for the radio to shut it off

It now has company

When Bill Belichick says ‘I’m just doing what’s best for the team to win’

Is there really one Patriots fan who today in a do over would not want to see Malcolm Butler in that game like he was the previous 2 weeks

Even Belichick is a God have to realize

1. They did lose
2. How they lost
3. The coach watched it as his starting corner stood feet away

That yellow thing in the sky is the sun

Bill Belichick really messed up

Both are undeniable and non debatable

How, by at least the start of the 4th quarter, he didn't put him in just to try something different is indefensible.

I don't doubt he thought he was doing what was best, for whatever reason, I just think it was a stupid f***ing decision.

Say Hey Kid

War, it's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I’m still bitter about the Cecil Cooper deal to the Brewers
I used to get Seattle Pilots baseball cards when I was a kid and I still consider the Brewers an expansion team.

Would it have been better for Brady if he had gone to a more talented team? Would he have won more SBs?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I’m willing to

That’s cool.

There are a million factors that go into the outcome of a game. Not playing Butler was a contributor for sure, but if Brady completes that last drive like he has so many others, we are aren’t discussing this.

It’s why they make a bunch of different flavor ice creams. Everybody likes something different.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I just assumed when Berrios was drafted to return punts. He's great at it and it saves Chung and others from taking unnecessary hits.

Don’t they have another slot guy that’s a good punt/kick returner as well besides Berrios? The one that was on the practice squad last year, AJ McCarron’s brother? Riley I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad