2018 Pyeongchang Olympics | FIGURE SKATING | Feb 9th - 23rd

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
What a bad night for the US ladies. I'm actually rooting for a Russian at this point. What has this world come to?

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I find this attack on Zagitova and Medvedeva and the others in the Russian womens programme (a couple of notable absentees) amusing. Aesthetically Zagitova's programme was pleasing to my eyes with even a few ballet gestures and an arabesque thrown in. The music cutting was jarring. To think that any Russian skater could not perform an equally challenging and beautiful on the eye routine is silly if the rules were changed. The ballet and dance tradition is very strong even now.

Artistic gymnastics could have been said to have gone the same way in terms of the balance of choreography certainly with the floor exercises over technical elements that require a lot of power to perform.

What do you mean "others" - there is only one other Russian skater in this event - Sotskova...and I don't think anyone has criticized her...she skated well. People comment on Medvedeva and Zagitova the most because they are the top two skaters this season. I don't recall criticism of Russian skaters in the other events.

I don't have any problem with Russian skaters...although I'll say there were Russian women's skaters I preferred more earlier in the Olympic cycle who have been overtaken internally so are no longer competing at the worlds.

Russia is the most dominant country in women's skating right now - and when you look at their dominance at the junior level, this will not change any time in the near future.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Romanian drop-off happened because other countries caught up and surpassed them. It's similar in figure skating where the Asian countries have caught up and Russia has remained strong.

I wonder how much of it is just luck. The bottom line is you can teach anyone who is a pretty good skater all you want but they may never be good enough to be a top 3 at the Olympics. So you can probably just get a 20 year run where nobody comes out of your country who’s good enough by pure chance

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I wonder how much of it is just luck. The bottom line is you can teach anyone who is a pretty good skater all you want but they may never be good enough to be a top 3 at the Olympics. So you can probably just get a 20 year run where nobody comes out of your country who’s good enough by pure chance

It's like that in a lot of sports.

For example, it'll probably be another 20+ years before Canada ever sees another women's speed skating team as good as Hughes/Klassen/etc.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
There’s no way that’s good enough. Probably need mid 240s to podium

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
There’s no way that’s good enough. Probably need mid 240s to podium

I wouldn't assume everybody else skates clean. Pressure does things to people. This isn't like Ice Dance where the chances of screwing up an element badly is close to 0.

As I type this Kostner is already falling apart.

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
Zadina or whatever...his absolutelty boring...amazing jumper but the progrm is boring as hell..

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
imo a big problem for the US re women's event is they were really slow to deal with the reality of the new scoring system domestically. The skaters who were competing in senior when the new system came in were okay because everyone was adjusting to it - but they didn't deal with it well at the development level and that created a 'trickle up' problem when the skaters got to senior.

They've gotten better now - they've introduced changes at the junior/novice level to encourage skaters to take more technical risk (and, like it or not, technical ability is what pushes skaters to the front of the pack internationally).

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
imo a big problem for the US re women's event is they were really slow to deal with the reality of the new scoring system domestically. The skaters who were competing in senior when the new system came in were okay because everyone was adjusting to it - but they didn't deal with it well at the development level and that created a 'trickle up' problem when the skaters got to senior.

They've gotten better now - they've introduced changes at the junior/novice level to encourage skaters to take more technical risk (and, like it or not, technical ability is what pushes skaters to the front of the pack internationally).

I really don’t understand why any of the systems were changed. It started with the figure skating and gymnastics and basically now has gone through all the freestyle skiing and snowboarding events too

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Osmond is lucky she skates second last. She'll know what room she has.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I really don’t understand why any of the systems were changed. It started with the figure skating and gymnastics and basically now has gone through all the freestyle skiing and snowboarding events too
The last system was awful. 6.0 system based on ordinals? Where if you finished 4th after the short program you had no chance at gold unless the skater who was first finished 4th or worst? It's amazing the judging system was in place for, like, 100 years or something because in hindsight it seems like a complete joke.

The current system certainly has its flaws...but the fact that both stages results in a final "score" that's added together to get you to the final results is, in itself, a massive upgrade.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I know I complain about Zagitova's 2 minute smoke break at the beginning - but he's still so talented. And her results are even more impressive when you consider it's her first year of eligibility at senior.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad