Prospect Info: 2018 Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
10:24 ice time, 1 shot, and +1 for Gunnarsson today in a 4 - 1 win for Frolunda today against Vienna. He's now up to 97 competitive games with Frolunda without registering his first point.

Tappara is up 1 - 0 over Storhamar three minutes into the game. Utunen is listed as their seventh defenceman.

Live stream here:

Reactions: lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
How is this even possible? A pylon would get hit by the puck, have it ricochet to another guy and then pick up a secondary assist. Somebody in the Canucks amateur scouting department must be a little red-faced about Gunnarsson.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
How is this even possible? A pylon would get hit by the puck, have it ricochet to another guy and then pick up a secondary assist. Somebody in the Canucks amateur scouting department must be a little red-faced about Gunnarsson.

It’s a bird, its a plane, its.... No Point Man!!

Secretly I think he is a offensive dynamo who has fallen victim to the “keep the streak alive” mentality.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Pretty nice to see

#3 - Pettersson
#9 - Q. Hughes
#33 - Juolevi
#50 - Gaudette

from the NHL :

NHL Network reveals top 50 prospects

Also interesting to go through the list and see all the players and where they are expected to be. As they point out in this article the Canucks signing 3 FA this summer may very well screw Gaudette. Which sucks, because he really should have a legitimate shot at a full time job. I understand the need for some physical support, in particular with Pettersson, but not sure we needed to sign all 3.

Thought Dahlen should have been on or at least close to this list. He too is going to suffer from the numbers games.

Good for Utica though.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Edit: The second tier guys (Lind, Dahlen, Gaudette, etc) aren’t really why we are at the top of the league pools, at least on Pronman’s list. We actually have a slightly-above average number of guys “Legit Prospects” (6) but have below average “High End” (0) and “Very Good” (0) prospects. We got to #2 on the strength of Pettersson and Hughes. Without those two we are average-to-slightly-below-average. We are exactly where a team that has drafted 5, 5, and 7 without graduating anyone to the NHL should be.

i am not sure i agree with that. i think we are exactly where you would hope to be after our recent draft picks being optimistic. i think we are defying the odds of where you'd expect to be in terms of the number of players who look like they have a decent shot at contributing to an nhl franchise. we are 20 deep in guys i see as having a decent shot which is just ridiculous. jett woo is a great prospect and a well regarded 2nd rounder i have trouble fitting into our top ten simply because other guys have shown more than a really good 2nd rounder has had time to show by the summer of his draft.

i accept they obviously might not all pan out, but we currently have the strongest prospect list i have ever seen as a canuck fan and the really compelling part for me is the depth. this is not a top heavy crew even though we have a heavy top.

one of the things that i think is happening with these lists is that our elite prospects are throwing shade on our very good second tier prospects and so on. i think if we did not have a pettersson and hughes, we'd drop down out of the top ten but some of the guys behind them would be bumped up a tier and so would the guys behind them. rightly or wrongly, i think gaudette would be assessed higher if he was a ranger prospect right now.

which is to say i think we have the best prospects in the league right now and are a clear tier ahead on our own. buffalo has the best prospect in the league.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
i am not sure i agree with that. i think we are exactly where you would hope to be after our recent draft picks being optimistic. i think we are defying the odds of where you'd expect to be in terms of the number of players who look like they have a decent shot at contributing to an nhl franchise. we are 20 deep in guys i see as having a decent shot which is just ridiculous. jett woo is a great prospect and a well regarded 2nd rounder i have trouble fitting into our top ten simply because other guys have shown more than a really good 2nd rounder has had time to show by the summer of his draft.

i accept they obviously might not all pan out, but we currently have the strongest prospect list i have ever seen as a canuck fan and the really compelling part for me is the depth. this is not a top heavy crew even though we have a heavy top.

one of the things that i think is happening with these lists is that our elite prospects are throwing shade on our very good second tier prospects and so on. i think if we did not have a pettersson and hughes, we'd drop down out of the top ten but some of the guys behind them would be bumped up a tier and so would the guys behind them. rightly or wrongly, i think gaudette would be assessed higher if he was a ranger prospect right now.

which is to say i think we have the best prospects in the league right now and are a clear tier ahead on our own. buffalo has the best prospect in the league.

Depends on who you are going by. Based on Pronman’s list - and I acknowledge he is by no means “the” authority on this matter - we are absolutely above average for what he classifies as “Elite Prospects”, with 2 (there are just 8 in total IIRC). However he did not consider any of the rest of our prospects to be in the 2 subsequent tiers (High End, Very Good), which had ~44 prospects leaguewide. So we are below average in these non-elite prospects. We then have 6 prospects in the 5th tier (“Legit”), where the league average is about 4 per team. And then below that (”Depth” and “Have a chance”) I think we are about average.

So if you use Pronman as an objective measure - and I’m not saying he is *correct*, just that he is not viewing it as a Canucks fan - then we are well above average for our elite kids (Hughes and Pettersson) and really no better than average the rest of the way.

If you want to disagree with Probman’s classifications of guys like Dahlen, Demko, etc by all means do so. Personally I think at least two of them should be ranked a tier higher but based on his breakdown we aren’t ahead of the league average except for 2 elite players. Which is fine, but it’s different than I think a lot of Canuck fans view it. And I think our own myopic-ness on Canuck prospects does come into play here.

Reactions: GoTeamDom

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
It’s really easy to focus on it Canucks prospects and believe that other teams don’t have players similar to Lind, Palmu, Gaudette, Dahlen etc. Sure we may have 20 guys you see as having NHL potential but there are homers on every board that think the same about their team. Similarily, most teams think their last couple drafts have a ton of potential NHLers and that even their long shots are valuable.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
It’s really easy to focus on it Canucks prospects and believe that other teams don’t have players similar to Lind, Palmu, Gaudette, Dahlen etc. Sure we may have 20 guys you see as having NHL potential but there are homers on every board that think the same about their team. Similarily, most teams think their last couple drafts have a ton of potential NHLers and that even their long shots are valuable.
Maybe other teams have fans like that, but some team has to be right, and i think its us. Our prospects ARE the best. Peetey Hughes Gaudette Demko Dahlen Woo Lind Brassard Locky Chatty Palmu Gadloyich Juolevi Dipietro Rathy Etc

:yo:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Lol...a few years back, Jordan Subban and Hunter Shinkaruk were near the top of the Canucks Prospects Board. Man, how times have changed.

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
Flash forward to summer 2023:

Lol...a few years back, Jack Rathbone and Nikolay Goldobin were near the top of the Canucks Prospects Board. Man, how times have changed.

Reactions: MS and cookiefest

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Flash forward to summer 2023:

Lol...a few years back, Jack Rathbone and Nikolay Goldobin were near the top of the Canucks Prospects Board. Man, how times have changed.

okay... nice try, but a really weak try. We have a good list of prospects and I can't even begin to understand the point of this asshole post....

Reactions: DonnyNucker

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
okay... nice try, but a really weak try. We have a good list of prospects and I can't even begin to understand the point of this ******* post....

The Canucks have a great list of prospects, absolutely, but not all of them are going to become players. My point was that a good chunk of these mid range, 20-120th overall, players are going to bust too. Goldobin and Rathbone happen to be picked in very similar positions to Shinkaruk and Subban. Maybe it's not either of them but some prospects in the top 15 aren't going to make it - personally, I think Jack and Nikolay are likely candidates but that's just me.

Last edited:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
The Canucks have a great list of prospects, absolutely, but not all of them are going to become players. My point was that a good chunk of these mid range, 20-120th overall, players are going to bust too. Goldobin and Rathbone happen to be picked in very similar positions to Shinkaruk and Subban. Maybe it's not either of them but some prospects in the top 15 aren't going to make it - personally, I think Jack and Nikolay are likely candidates but that's just me.

Just curious as to who you think is suggesting this. We have a good list of prospects. Petersson and Hughes are close to can't miss. Demko is close as well. Juolevi and Gaudette are about 75% likelihood to be decent NHLer's. After that it drops off pretty quickly. Goldobin is in fact a very good example. He has a real chance of being picked up by someone else off waivers ... he has about a 50% chance of an NHL career at best right now.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Lol...a few years back, Jordan Subban and Hunter Shinkaruk were near the top of the Canucks Prospects Board. Man, how times have changed.

And in a few years we might be saying the same thing about Lind/Dahlen/Juolevi. None of those guys have proven to be better prospects than Shinkaruk or Subban were at their age.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Tryamkin and Manukyan were both pointless in their games in the KHL today. Manukyan played 13:18, 8th among Avangard forwards. Tryamkin played 20:08, tops for defencemen for Avtomoblist (also tops for d-men in shots, with 3, and hits, with 5).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
And in a few years we might be saying the same thing about Lind/Dahlen/Juolevi. None of those guys have proven to be better prospects than Shinkaruk or Subban were at their age.
You must be joshing us, right? Neither Subban nor Shinkaruk were remotely good enough to even make Canada's World Jr. Team or even become all-stars in their junior leagues. Juolevi was the voted the best d-man at the WJC one year, Dahlen the MVP in the Allvenskan and Lind a 95 point guy in three-quarters of a season in Kelowna. They're already light years ahead of Subban and Shinkaruk.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
You must be joshing us, right? Neither Subban nor Shinkaruk were remotely good enough to even make Canada's World Jr. Team or even become all-stars in their junior leagues. Juolevi was the voted the best d-man at the WJC one year, Dahlen the MVP in the Allvenskan and Lind a 95 point guy in three-quarters of a season in Kelowna. They're already light years ahead of Subban and Shinkaruk.

Juolevi yes, hence why he was a #5 OA pick. Didn’t have many of those until recently.

Dahlen agree is also on a different level though to be fair very few high end prospects play in the Allsvenskan at Dahlen’s age. His decision to play there this past season was very uncommon and so there is no real context for how “good” his season was.

Disagree re: Lind. Shinkaruk and Lind’s draft seasons are highly similar, the only difference being Shinkaruk’s injury in his D+1. Shink was the last cut for Team Canada at the 2012-13 tournament. Chances are Lind won’t progress any better than Shink did in the AHL, even with Shink being set back as a result of his injury. If Lind exceeds 40 pts in Utica I’ll be surprised (but excited).

Last edited:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Once Pettersson and Hughes graduate, I think the fervor for the prospect pool will diminish greatly.

PHI has graduated Patrick and Provorov and their remaining pool still ranks in the top5 on most lists. Could we project the same for VAN? Doubtful. (I'm assuming they also auto-graduate their top5~ prospect this year as well)

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Once Pettersson and Hughes graduate, I think the fervor for the prospect pool will diminish greatly.

PHI has graduated Patrick and Provorov and their remaining pool still ranks in the top5 on most lists. Could we project the same for VAN? Doubtful. (I'm assuming they also auto-graduate their top5~ prospect this year as well)
True but Canucks graduated Boeser last year. Boeser and Canucks pool was underrated in 2017 based off him alone. Will likely gain another top pick next year with Hughes and many others like Juolevi Dahlen still probably still qualifying with some others improving. Think they will still rank high.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Yes they have. Watch Lind play a game in the W and then watch Shink do the same. Shink was always garbage. I’m not going to touch Subban v Juolevi lol

forty47seven

May 2, 2009

Maybe? Hughes is still going to be a prospect next offseason so I guess we're talking about summer 2020. The Canucks will have their top 5 overall from 2019 and quite possibly another lottery pick from 2020. That's not to mention all the other picks those drafts bring along with them and any progression guys like Woo, Madden, Rathbone, ect. make in that time. The beat goes on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad