OT: 2018 Phillies

Status
Not open for further replies.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
What a stupid, terrible, no good, very bad, gimmick.
I don’t think it’s a horrible idea. I know the NFL does it with Thursday night games with Twitter. Helps me for instance when I am out and want to watch the games (and don’t want to use Reddit to find streams)

Edit: unless exclusive rights mean a no tv broadcast? Different than NFL which does Twitter and TV

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
that's crazy, wonder if more teams will try this since it's just never done and the only time before it was done it didn't go so well. Not that I don't think it will the same was as Kingery at least looks like he's going to be a star player. Can't wait to see him play.

Reactions: SnS

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Teams try all the time, it's just a lot of agents don't go for it and think the arbitration process works out better for them in the long run. The first one I remember was Tampa locking up Longoria to a 17.5 mill/6 year contract six games into his career. That was 10 years ago. That worked out well for the Rays.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Teams try all the time, it's just a lot of agents don't go for it and think the arbitration process works out better for them in the long run. The first one I remember was Tampa locking up Longoria to a 17.5 mill/6 year contract six games into his career. That was 10 years ago. That worked out well for the Rays.

Seems like the CBA in baseball is far more favorable to the teams these days.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Seems like the CBA in baseball is far more favorable to the teams these days.
Yeah. It's tough to blame a 23 year old kid for accepting a contract with $24 million in guarantees, but these usually work out better for the teams, especially for a team like the Phillies with money to blow. Trout caught a lot of shit for signing his $150 million extension. Kingery only needs to be like a 3 win player (total) over 6 years for this to work out in the Phillies favor. I would be shocked if he doesn't eclipse that easily.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I was thinking just guys that were signed to big deal before they ever played a game. Singleton is the only one I could think of at least in the last several years, to think I was so pissed off when we traded him. Goes to show you baseball prospects are crazy hard to predict.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
I am very happy they did this. They now have him for the next nine years if they so desire and I hope this pushes Franco. I still believe he is a second baseman however they are going to stick him in the lineup no matter what. This young man is a stud!

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
Franco is having a great spring, if nothing else the santana signing has helped him. He can talk to franco and help him how to hit and timing. He looks more relaxed with hitting.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeah. It's tough to blame a 23 year old kid for accepting a contract with $24 million in guarantees, but these usually work out better for the teams, especially for a team like the Phillies with money to blow. Trout caught a lot of **** for signing his $150 million extension. Kingery only needs to be like a 3 win player (total) over 6 years for this to work out in the Phillies favor. I would be shocked if he doesn't eclipse that easily.

Well, he's not getting paid the first three years no matter how well he plays.

And locking up enough money never to work another day in your life has its merits, the first $24M is worth more than the next $200M, it's the difference between total security and "funny money," how many cars and houses can you buy? And if he becomes a star, he ends up with $65M (ok, $40M after taxes and agent fees) instead of say $100M.

So Kingery can play full throttle and never worry about injury.

And it may be why Trout will give a hometown discount in 2021, once you're talking a couple hundred million dollars, playing in front of friends and family for the rest of your career and hanging with your buddy Wentz may be worth more than money you can never reasonably spend.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I was thinking just guys that were signed to big deal before they ever played a game. Singleton is the only one I could think of at least in the last several years, to think I was so pissed off when we traded him. Goes to show you baseball prospects are crazy hard to predict.

Yep, Singleton is the only other time it's happened in the modern era before a player's first game.

Everyone else under a year is along the Longoria lines -- Archer, Matt Moore, Tim Anderson, Sal Perez, DeJong, etc.

Reactions: montreal

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Any hints at what the batting order is going to look like? They have so many options its going to be pretty exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad