OT: 2018 Phillies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
So the Phils have 2 good pitchers. I think they can win 1 or 2 out of every 3 the other 3 slobs throw, and if any of those 3 figure it out, because all 3 have terrific pitches, the Phils might make some noise.

Reactions: klutch and Rebels57

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I have to be honest, with my personal life, the Eagles and the Flyers chasing the playoffs, i've been extremely ignorant to the baseball off-season, which isn't typical.

What do the Phils look to roll-out this year as far as roster is going? Which of the kids are gonna be in the show?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I have to be honest, with my personal life, the Eagles and the Flyers chasing the playoffs, i've been extremely ignorant to the baseball off-season, which isn't typical.

What do the Phils look to roll-out this year as far as roster is going? Which of the kids are gonna be in the show?

I don't think they'll have any new prospects this year. Just a heavier usage of guys they called up. Lineup looks like this:

Hernandez
Herrera
Crawford
Santana
Hoskins
Williams/Altherr
Alfaro
Franco

**that's not a real lineup, just throwing the players out**

That line up could do damage, when Franco is the worst hitter, that bodes well.

Also, Kinger will be up at some point.

Rotation should be: Nola/Arrieta/Velasquez/Eickhoff/Pivetta (maybe somebody else)

Pen was upgraded with Hunter and Neshak back.

Reactions: klutch

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Love love love this signing. I wanted them in on him from day one. Psyched about this .I don't think they make the playoffs this year but I think this helps next year and will help with the youth as well. Plus if they are far out of it he could get a nice return if he's playing well.

If Franco rebounds and Hoskins plays like he did last year the offense is going to be good as well with the addition of Santana.

Reactions: PHILOUDELPHIA

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Klentak only wanted Arrieta on a 3 year deal (Hextall faces the same issue, resigning your good young players down the road).
Arrieta is a question mark, velocity has fallen off, but he had a strong second half even with his lower velocity.
Which means he'll probably be good at age 32 in 2018, but probably not at age 35 in 2021.
So Klentak is only on the hook for three years, during which the payroll should be well below the salary cap.

Nola, Arrieta and a bunch of talented question marks.
This just increases the odds, they have six young SP for three slots (and Leiter is a lock for #6/LR):
Pivetta, Velasquez, Eflin, Eickhoff, Lively and Thompson.

The lineup is solid, and Kingery should be up in a couple months, which means a Hernandez trade is likely at some point.
Franco will get one last shot at 3B, and they'll live with Alfaro's growing pains at C.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
Love love love this signing. I wanted them in on him from day one. Psyched about this .I don't think they make the playoffs this year but I think this helps next year and will help with the youth as well. Plus if they are far out of it he could get a nice return if he's playing well.

If Franco rebounds and Hoskins plays like he did last year the offense is going to be good as well with the addition of Santana.

kingery will be up to anytime after april 13 phils get 1 more year of control

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Arrieta has only made 33 million dollars in his career. Why sometimes athletes are over paid , sometimes in sports like baseball and football these guys are severely underpaid.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Arrieta has only made 33 million dollars in his career. Why sometimes athletes are over paid , sometimes in sports like baseball and football these guys are severely underpaid.

He wasn’t really good most of his career though. He didn’t break out until his late 20’s with Chicago.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
kingery will be up to anytime after april 13 phils get 1 more year of control
I'm not so sure they bring him up right away. It seems like they are fine with Hernandez at 2B. If he gets hurt or slumps he's getting the call, but unless they deal Hernandez I don't think it's a given that he comes up right away.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I'm not so sure they bring him up right away. It seems like they are fine with Hernandez at 2B. If he gets hurt or slumps he's getting the call, but unless they deal Hernandez I don't think it's a given that he comes up right away.

Which is stupid, just like Tommy Joespeh blocking Hoskins was stupid.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Joseph didn't really block Hoskins, Hoskins was a 5th rd pick who had a good minor league career, but as Cozens shows, hitter stats at Reading are fluff - you don't know if they're ML ready until they perform at Lehigh.

Kingery is playing different positions in ST so they can get him PT in the short-run, he's a potential gold glove 2B, but was an OF in college before he was converted, so he could probably be a top flight CF. Problem is he lacks the arm for 3B.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Not a huge fan of the deal as I wonder what this means for the young arms but at the same time it's good to have a solid vet to help said young arms. They still need to pull off a quantity for quality type trade to free up some spots in the minors at some point.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Which is stupid, just like Tommy Joespeh blocking Hoskins was stupid.

Without getting too deep into the Tommy Joseph/Hoskins situation, I think that this situation is at least a little different. I'm not a big fan of Hernandez, but he has at least established himself as a good MLB second baseman. Joseph put up solid numbers his rookie year and didn't really improve them the following year. Hernandez has had back to back years of good production and fielding and earned that spot. Joseph I think was more hoping he would turn into the guy they wanted him to be.

What does everyone see as the rotation this year?

Nola/Arrieta/Velaszquez/Eickhoff for sure. Fifth starter could be a number of guys (Pivetta? Thompson? Leiter?). I just hope it isn't Adam Morgan. Too bad they don't have a lefty they could stick in there somewhere.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
That’s baseball. You get paid for what you did, not what you’re going to do. That’s why teams don’t give up prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad