OT: 2018 Phillies

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
1. yes the phils do play in poor hitting environments. But look at the ages of the prospects I listed. Now look at Haseley .
I'm not comparing Haseley to those guys though. I just simply looked at the HR leaderboards and picked out 5 guys that weren't supposed to hit for power...who are hitting for power.

Minor League ISO vs. Major League ISO
Ramirez: .107/.192
Lindor: .106/.191
Betts: .156/.212
Altuve: .163/.181 -since the ball change
Albies: .120/.210

They don't hit the same balls in the minors that they hit in the big leagues.

If Haseley is slugging .500 in Reading did he suddenly learn how to hit for power or is he just taking advantage of a good park? Cody Asche slugged .513 in Reading at 22.
2. Bonuses has nothing to do with talent alone. It has to deal with talent plus options
That's a contradiction.
3. mlb pipeline has madrigal at a 60 grade for speed.
Fangraphs has him at 70. Either way it is a plus tool. Not "no speed".
smith did not get drafted over haseley because of money.
How do you know that though?

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
smith did not get drafted over haseley because of money.

The only thing I know for sure about this is that neither you nor I have the slightest clue if that's true or not unless I missed someone publicizing negotiations. That could certainly be the case.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I'm not comparing Haseley to those guys though. I just simply looked at the HR leaderboards and picked out 5 guys that weren't supposed to hit for power...who are hitting for power.

Minor League ISO vs. Major League ISO
Ramirez: .107/.192
Lindor: .106/.191
Betts: .156/.212
Altuve: .163/.181 -since the ball change
Albies: .120/.210

They don't hit the same balls in the minors that they hit in the big leagues.

If Haseley is slugging .500 in Reading did he suddenly learn how to hit for power or is he just taking advantage of a good park? Cody Asche slugged .513 in Reading at 22.

That's a contradiction.

Fangraphs has him at 70. Either way it is a plus tool. Not "no speed".

How do you know that though?

1. Haseley is already 22 , not at reading and certainly not slugging 500. Good hitters show consistently that they are able to hit at the lower levels try using non phillies propsects because you are going to struggle to find one that was capable of hitting recently
2. talent and options are not different. gerritt cole was probably the most talented player coming out of hs. He didn't go number 1 because he had options and leverage.

3. The monetary difference between smith and haseley was negligible.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Jim Calis just said he’s sticking with 1. Mize, 2. Bart, & 3. Brohm as his predictions for tonight on MLB Now.

im good with that. OBviously I want Mize, but Brohm is not a bad consolation, and fits an organizational need. Would have loved one of the hs pitchers too if we had the balls to go that route.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
1. Haseley is already 22 , not at reading and certainly not slugging 500. Good hitters show consistently that they are able to hit at the lower levels try using non phillies propsects because you are going to struggle to find one that was capable of hitting recently
Come again?
2. talent and options are not different. gerritt cole was probably the most talented player coming out of hs. He didn't go number 1 because he had options and leverage.
There was no hard slotting in place when Cole got picked out of high school. Rick Porcello did the same thing the year before.

The process is a lot more cut and dry.
3. The monetary difference between smith and haseley was negligible.
So you think the Phillies just went overslot out of the kindness of their hearts? You don't just go overslot on College hitters unless there is some kind of motivation.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
MM is heating up . HE raised his BA over 30 points in the past 2 weeks and his OPS is still below 650.

Mickey Moniak and the 70 Hit Tool

This article sums up Moniak pretty well and , and while we all hope for the best sadly his fate is already sealed.

I actually haven't seen much of Moniak, saw a little of him last year in Lakewood and wasn't impressed at all. But seems a little early to say his fate is already sealed.

Were those people posting on Phuture Philles by any chance? :laugh:

Last 4 weeks:

.330/.408/.484

10 BB's
12 K's

Trust the track record. Not early season small samples.

yea I think you have to wait till they get a good number of AB's under their belt, but with the phils struggling to hit, it just sucks to see the top hitting prospects all struggling. At least Haseley has been doing much better, what was he at like 2 BB's or so for while. I'm really not worried about him, it's MM and Randolph that I worry more about.

The good news is the pitching, Lakewood has the best Team ERA and 4 of the top 5 league leaders in ERA. Plus with Sixto, Medina, De los Stantos, Irvin, etc.. it's certainly looking good there.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I actually haven't seen much of Moniak, saw a little of him last year in Lakewood and wasn't impressed at all. But seems a little early to say his fate is already sealed.

yea I think you have to wait till they get a good number of AB's under their belt, but with the phils struggling to hit, it just sucks to see the top hitting prospects all struggling. At least Haseley has been doing much better, what was he at like 2 BB's or so for while. I'm really not worried about him, it's MM and Randolph that I worry more about.

The good news is the pitching, Lakewood has the best Team ERA and 4 of the top 5 league leaders in ERA. Plus with Sixto, Medina, De los Stantos, Irvin, etc.. it's certainly looking good there.

the reason why i say his fate is sealed was because his bat plays at only 1 position, and now he doesn't have a bat.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The good news is the pitching, Lakewood has the best Team ERA and 4 of the top 5 league leaders in ERA.
More proof of how hard it is to hit at Lakewood. None of those guys are big time prospects although Stewart and Rosso are pretty intriguing. Parkinson and/or Jones as lefties could hang around as bullpen guys for a few years at least.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

High school means 2008. That's not even close to true. BA's big board had him 17th. Law's had him 10th. His Change became a completely different pitch at UCLA.

Hell, BA didn't even have Cole 1 in 2011. Rendon was.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
How would those with knowledge of the Phillies drafting rate Klentak so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad