OT: 2018 Phillies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
That would be really aggressive. I think he could end the season in Clearwater, but probably starts in Williamsport or Lakewood for a few weeks.

Maybe I'm confusing with Mize (if he fell).

I just remember one of those guys he said could probably start off higher than normal.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Maybe I'm confusing with Mize (if he fell).

I just remember one of those guys he said could probably start off higher than normal.
Almost no hitters jump straight from the draft to High-A. Kris Bryant played 20 games of short season ball before he played in the FSL for example. The AAC is a decent baseball conference, but Bohm wasn't exactly playing in the SEC. Probably need to get his feet wet for a few games and you'll know when to promote him. I'd expect him to start in Clearwater next year unless he goes bonkers this summer. Hope he finishes next year in Reading, kinda like Haseley.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Jordyn Adams who went #17 to the Angels is another player appears to be giving up football for baseball too. He was a four star WR that signed at UNC this last cycle to play both football & baseball.

the moment he signs he is ineligible to play football. If he does not sign, oakland loses his rights. Am i missing something here.

I don’t think that’s the case. Jake Locker signed a deal back in 2009 with the Angels but was still playing football at Washington that year & the following year. He just had to pay his own way & be deemed a walk-on.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Jordyn Adams who went #17 to the Angels is another player appears to be giving up football for baseball too. He was a four star WR that signed at UNC this last cycle to play both football & baseball.

I don’t think that’s the case. Jake Locker signed a deal back in 2009 with the Angels but was still playing football at Washington that year & the following year. He just had to pay his own way & be deemed a walk-on.

what about Jeremy bloom then? ok nm. you're allowed money from other sports but not sponsors.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
what about Jeremy bloom then? ok nm. you're allowed money from other sports but not sponsors.

Looking it up they’ve changed the rules since Bloom, back then it was a hard stance on being ineligible completely if you made profit off a sport. They’ve since changed it to just being ineligible for that sport you made money off of. So under today’s rules he would have kept his eligibility for football but lost his eligibility for skiing at Colorado.

Reactions: Jtown

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Almost no hitters jump straight from the draft to High-A. Kris Bryant played 20 games of short season ball before he played in the FSL for example. The AAC is a decent baseball conference, but Bohm wasn't exactly playing in the SEC. Probably need to get his feet wet for a few games and you'll know when to promote him. I'd expect him to start in Clearwater next year unless he goes bonkers this summer. Hope he finishes next year in Reading, kinda like Haseley.

Then somebody seem to have really high expectations, because I could've sworn somebody said he could be playing in Philly in the Summer of 2019.

Any way...if he's up in 2020, with Machado playing short. I think I'll be very pleased with that.

Last edited:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Then somebody seem to have really high expectations, because I could've sworn somebody said he could be playing in Philly in the Summer of 2019.

Any way...if he's up in 2020, with Machado playing short. I think I'll be very pleased with that.
He could, but that's best case scenario and he can't have any hiccups. He'll have to sign quickly and hit his way to Clearwater be the end of this season so he's in a position to start next year in Reading or at least get promoted to Reading early in 2019. Bregman, Trea Turner, and Schwarber were all in the ML the year after they were drafted and they followed this path. Kris Bryant would have too but the Cubs manipulated his service time so he didn't come up until the following season. Swanson, Conforto, and Benintendi started in High-A and made their ML debut a year after getting drafted but got promoted directly from AA. The Phillies don't promote directly from AA.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
the moment he signs he is ineligible to play football. If he does not sign, oakland loses his rights. Am i missing something here.
Yeah I'm pretty sure that's not the case, I think it only applies to the sport you are playing. Like if he signed with the Eagles he couldn't play or if Ghost signed with the Flyers earlier he wouldn't have been eligible, but if you sign with a different sport you are still able to play. Someone said something about no being eligible for a scholarship (not sure if that is the case or not).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Bohm isn't ideal, but Madrigal is Kingery with better contact, less power and a weaker arm.
Bohm hit well in the Cap Cod league, which means he should have little trouble transitioning to wood bats.
While they've deadened the aluminum bats in college (which makes stats more comparable) it's still easier to hit with metal bats.

Bohm will probably go to Williamsport, though they have been aggressive at times with college hitters, he's not an elite contact guy.
Next season start in Lakewood, finish in Clearwater.
2020, start at Reading and progress as fast as his bat can carry him.

I don't think the Phillies expect to sign Machado, they can make noises, but my expectation is the Yankees, Mets or Dodgers, not just money, but the big media market.
Nor do they need to, in a couple years they're going to be very deep everywhere on the field.

What they're going to need is a LH power bat with Hoskins, Alfaro, Bohm, Ortiz (19 at Lakewood, paid a $4M bonus) they have RH power. Santana is a stopgap, Cozens has power but struggles to make contact. With Bohm in the fold, Bryce Harper looks like a perfect fit in LF with Hoskins moving to 1B.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
LOL..So NY & LA will attract Machado, simply because of the city, but Philadelphia (which is a big market too, not sure if you know this) won't.

Also Philadelphia can outbid all of them, in addition to the guys who drafted Machado are on the Phillies along with former teammates (Arrieta).

But yea, New York and Los Angeles have all the leverage.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Eastman got favorable reviews from Fangraphs and Keith Law. Another polished righty from Cal State Fullerton. Could move fairly quickly like the others.

Simmons was a possible top 2 round guy before the season. Has some tools but sounds like a lot of swing and miss though. Big arm could pitch if he flops in the field.

Pipkin was generally thought about as a top 100 talent. Didn’t have a great spring but is 6’4 and projectable. Has touched 96.

They had to take two senior signs (the kid from Coastal and the kid from South Carolina) to make bonus money for the two kids and I would imagine Bohm signs a little underslot.

They took a 6’5 lefty from Puerto Rico with a clean delivery. May be something there.

The kid from Notre Dame was a two way player in college. They announced him as a CF so they must think he’s a pretty good athlete. 10 HR’s and more walks than strikeouts this year. Hit like shit in the Cape Cod League last year so that didn’t help his stock.

So they only had 1 top 100 pick and arguably got 3 top 100 talents. If they get the high school kids signed, the potential alone could make up for the lack of a 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Last edited:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
So I guess that kid from Oregon State won’t be getting drafted at this point right?
He could still get drafted tomorrow but I guess if someone really liked him and wanted to save pool money they would have picked him today. On the other hand maybe teams didn’t want to risk losing the pool money if the pick got nixed at the last minute.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->