Prospect Info: 2018 PHILADELPHIA FLYERS DEVELOPMENT CAMP

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
i'm still having a good chuckle at how he spent the last month lecturing people that the Flyers didn't need a scoring LW. he kept forcing Laughton into the 3LW spot. well, it's clear Hextall doesn't subscribe to his warped way of thinking. he was wrong, as he is quite often. but you'll never hear him admit it.

We'll never know, but I'll bet Hextall had 3C as a higher priority than LHV, Stastny/Bozak would have set this lineup.
Instead he's still looking for a 3C.
Not saying he might not have signed JVR in any case, given he was able to wrangle a 5 year deal, but I don't think JVR was the #1 priority.
Just look at his PC, does that look like a guy excited about adding a scoring LW or a guy disappointed he couldn't nab any of the centers he targeted?

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Cates as some skills. Was flying around.
There were some nice things said about Lycksell too. If either of these guys develop, there is no room for all these prospects.

Frost, Ratcliffe, Allison, Farabee, O’Brien: that’s almost a complete top 6 of just 1st and 2nd round prospects.

Reactions: sa cyred

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's terrible when you're faced with the prospect of having to trade some of your top prospects in a few years. Just terrible. :(

I think Hextall will just "play it as it lays" and see who steps up in the AHL.

Then at that point the prospect has much higher value (say Cates or Lycksell are in the top 5 in scoring two years from now) in a trade, or, if you really like them, it makes a current starter expendable in a trade.

The mistake is to package these guys before they get to the AHL while they're still suspects (unless, like Lindblom, they dominate the SHL or KHL), because teams will not put a lot of credence in junior or NCAA performance for lower draft picks.

Buy low, sell high. It's worked for Buffett for five decades.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Hextall talked up de Haas

Easier to talk up a 24 year old depth defender without the hoopla than put unnecessary focus on a major prospect, I reckon.

Liked what he said about Rubtsov though and about re-training him to be more assertive in his "north" game. Interesting how he talked about him though, comparing him to Couturier (even though Misha is probably more that type in style). Does this mean they plan on using him at center? We'll see.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Don't know if it needs to be said, but that 3v3 tournament isn't actual hockey, no one is trying that hard off puck, and it doesn't mean anything. Players with good hands will look good.

tenor.gif

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Hextall talked up de Haas:

I liked the Kalynuk shout out. Watching a few of his games last year was a real eye opener. He stands out immediately because of his skating and agility.

After sitting down and hammering out my list for the upcoming voting, I snuck him into my top 10. I just couldn't prioritize some bigger name prospects over a toolsy offensive defenseman like him.

I was also happy to see Sandstrom had a big day in the tournament. The mainstream hype proclaiming Hart the guy and discounting Sandstrom bothers me. Sandstrom is excellent. He's just been fighting that chronic stomach issue for so long.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I liked the Kalynuk shout out. Watching a few of his games last year was a real eye opener. He stands out immediately because of his skating and agility.

After sitting down and hammering out my list for the upcoming voting, I snuck him into my top 10. I just couldn't prioritize some bigger name prospects over a toolsy offensive defenseman like him.

I was also happy to see Sandstrom had a big day in the tournament. The mainstream hype proclaiming Hart the guy and discounting Sandstrom bothers me. Sandstrom is excellent. He's just been fighting that chronic stomach issue for so long.

You are my Hive within the Hive. I can just let you express our hockey thoughts and I can concentrate on posting pure nonsense. :thumbu:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
de Haas is 24, 6’3 215 — at dev camp, he must feel like a 15 year old playing against the 12s on the little league field. (granted, some damn good 12s.)

But I do hope Hex is reaching the opinion that there isn’t a lot of difference between some guys on the fringe of the AHL/NHL making 900k, & 30+ 4th liners making 2 or 3 million.

Reactions: deadhead

wasup

Mar 21, 2018

He is offence with no defence does not win puck battles his plus minus usually is a disaster . Offence is good no doubt skating is good but he will kill you in his own end . I would not totally rule him out but he is a mile away from NHL caliber and he ain't real young he is Vorobev Kony age so not even close to top ten imo

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

He is offence with no defence does not win puck battles his plus minus usually is a disaster . Offence is good no doubt skating is good but he will kill you in his own end . I would not totally rule him out but he is a mile away from NHL caliber and he ain't real young he is Vorobev Kony age so not even close to top ten imo

I’m sure very few people (read: 2) will have him Top 10, but +/-? Really?

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

I know his defense needs work, but I put almost no deference into NHL readiness when doing the rankings. He's obviously a late bloomer. It is what it is. He's a defenseman, so age isn't as crucial either.

What is important to me is his tools. Defensemen that show skating and puck skills are super in demand these days. This past NHL Draft was pretty telling. Heck, a 5'9 165lb Scott Perunivich was just drafted as a re-entry in the 2nd round. I don't see how he's a better NHL prospect than Kalynuk.

From what I could tell Kalynuk seemed smart enough that his defense could improve. His size isn't an issue. There isn't much holding him back from what I could tell. He's worth a swing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad