OT: 2018 Olympic Hockey Talk

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
With the NHLers involved the whole country would be pretty much shut down right now. This year, many including myself, don't know the game is on or who they're playing.

Have to admit as much as I love the Olympics I find this one to be very difficult to follow.

The time zone is part of that. Definitely NHL will take some attention away, especially with the way the Leafs are playing. However I think that combined with the horrid time zone makes it worse.

I could spend time watching Canada if most events were during the day or early evening but it’s not

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The time zone is part of that. Definitely NHL will take some attention away, especially with the way the Leafs are playing. However I think that combined with the horrid time zone makes it worse.

I could spend time watching Canada if most events were during the day or early evening but it’s not
I don't mind using the PVR and avoiding spoilers to watch but I'm finding that with some many channels I never know who's televising what.
I've recorded everyday up til Tuesday then stopped, it's never the events that were promised.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I’m more interested in amateur Olympic Hockey than when the NHLers go. This adds a level of “anything can happen”.

The women’s hockey so far has been great too, though the reffing has been questionable to say the least

Amateur Olympic hockey? LMAO

Have you even looked at the rosters? The players are just about all professional (I really don't know how scrub teams like South Korea and Slovenia fill out their rosters). They are all professional hockey players employed by leagues in Europe/Russia.

The myth that when the NHL players don't go, the Olympics are all about "plucky amateurs trying win on the big stage" is silly. I mean, the average age of Team Canada is over 30.

Reactions: Anthrax442

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Have you even looked at the rosters? The players are just about all professional (I really don't know how scrub teams like South Korea and Slovenia fill out their rosters). They are all professional hockey players employed by leagues in Europe/Russia.

The myth that when the NHL players don't go, the Olympics are all about "plucky amateurs trying win on the big stage" is silly. I mean, the average age of Team Canada is over 30.

You’re right that technically they’re mostly pros (though there are NCAA guys on teams who have never signed pro contracts) but the fact that most guys aren’t able to currently play in the NHL does add an extra element of interest for me.

Imo Olympic hockey with NHL rosters had gotten sort of stale.

Last edited:

RedRenegade

Sep 16, 2008
I haven't paid much attention to the Olympic rosters ever since it was announced there would be no NHLers but I was surprised by this when I read it earlier today.

Canada’s 25-man roster does boast 5,544 NHL games played, led by captain Chris Kelly’s 833 outings with the Boston Bruins and Ottawa Senators. Lee and fellow defenceman Mat Robinson are the only players without NHL experience.

Source (thestar.com)

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

I saw the highlights from Canada's beatdown of the Swiss, and they scored some beautiful goals. These guys are all still quality players for sure.

There is an element of unpredictability that makes it interesting though.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Canada deservedly loses to the Czech Republic!

Scrivens is still lousy on the shootout!

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Germany knocks off Sweden and Canada.

They play the OAR team

Reactions: Lauro

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I couldn't care less, I barely even remembered they were playing hockey in these Olympics LOL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad