OT: 2018 Olympic Hockey Talk

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
2018 Olympic Hockey has been utterly irrelevant. What makes this hockey tournament even more laughable is that Russia was banned and plays under "OAR" complete shit show. But you already know the Russians will go on to claim they are the best hockey nation in the world with a win over Germany in the final. :laugh:

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
But you already know the Russians will go on to claim they are the best hockey nation in the world with a win over Germany in the final. :laugh:

WW II: Rematch

The only thing that sucks more than Bettman is Putin. Well, Trump and Putin.

The NHL and NHLPA sure remind me every second they can that sports is about money. and money alone.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Led up front by former NHL star forwards Ilya Kovalchuk and Pavel Datsyuk, "Russia" is vying for its first Olympic gold since 1992 when the Unified Team defeated Canada 3-1. There was no time to send a replacement for the Soviet national team just weeks after the Soviet Union was dissolved, so the Unified Team featured players from six of the 15 former Soviet republics: Russia, Ukraine, Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan.

The Russians haven't medalled at the Olympics since 2002 in Salt Lake City and were eliminated in the quarter-finals in Vancouver and Sochi.

Canada to play for men's hockey bronze after stunning loss to Germany | News | CBC Olympics | PyeongChang 2018

You know Putin gives these two millions in slush money if they bring home the Gold.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
This is why I kinda dig no NHL’ers. Anything can happen.

it has been a great tournament.
i really hope there are no NHLers period. i would honestly in Olympic years - just use WJC. it's so easy.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
it has been a great tournament.
i really hope there are no NHLers period. i would honestly in Olympic years - just use WJC. it's so easy.
It's supposed to be the best of the best, though, right? By removing NHL players you're putting a cap on the level of competition you're allowing.

I'd be surprised if there are any Olympic athletes, regardless of sport, who don't participate in other professional events in their field throughout the year - Why should hockey be any different?

The fairest way to achieve the result you're looking for, I think, would be to "allow" NHLers to play in the Olympics, but for the NHL itself to not adjust their schedule that year to break for the Games. I don't know if there's anything within the CBA, or NHLPA regulations or what have you, that lays out whether or not players would be able to be "released" from their NHL teams in order to participate in something like that, but this setup would put the onus on players and their organizations to make the wisest choice, and it's then up to the players and the organizations to take on any responsibility with regards to injuries and potential future NHL games lost. You'll likely still end up with very few active NHLers participating (seemingly your goal) but the NHL itself doesn't specifically take away that option from the players.

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
It's supposed to be the best of the best, though, right? By removing NHL players you're putting a cap on the level of competition you're allowing.

I'd be surprised if there are any Olympic athletes, regardless of sport, who don't participate in other professional events in their field throughout the year - Why should hockey be any different?

because the majority of those sports's pinacle is the Olympics.
for hockey (NA hockey anyway) it's the cup. it's also impacting that league more than any other "Major 4 sport" and it is always funny (to me) that most people go "well who cares, they should go anyway."

quite frankly, best on best is whatever qualifier you put on it.

if they say "you can only be 18 through 25" - then send the best 18-25 year olds.
if they say best non NHL players, then send the best non NHLers.
if they say just send the best whomever (and the NHL agrees) then send them. it means nothing to me, because it's the Olympics and i'm going to be watching anyway.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
No NHL players ruined it for me.
Not to mention lots of Leafs games during the Olympics.

But still. Germany ? wtf.
I was happy with no NHLers, I was referring to the Olympics in general.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
because the majority of those sports's pinacle is the Olympics.
for hockey (NA hockey anyway) it's the cup. it's also impacting that league more than any other "Major 4 sport" and it is always funny (to me) that most people go "well who cares, they should go anyway."

quite frankly, best on best is whatever qualifier you put on it.

if they say "you can only be 18 through 25" - then send the best 18-25 year olds.
if they say best non NHL players, then send the best non NHLers.
if they say just send the best whomever (and the NHL agrees) then send them. it means nothing to me, because it's the Olympics and i'm going to be watching anyway.
Fair points - Especially the first one, which I'd thought of as well when writing my first post.

The problem with the qualifiers, though, is that it depends on who's putting the qualifier in place. In this case, it's the NHL, which has no affiliation with any other League internationally (SHL, KHL, etc.) or the IOC. So having the best "non-NHLers" doesn't effect everyone equally, as there are NHL-caliber players playing outside of the NHL. If it were the IOC putting regulations in place, I'd be quicker to agree with you.

I simply think it should be up to the players to decide. The NHL can do plenty of things to make sure that they're not impacted as heavily as they have been in the past, and I think a huge part of that comes with the adjustment of the NHL schedule to break for the Games - Remove that aspect altogether, and if players want to leave their NHL clubs to play for their country (giving up their pay in the process), that's between them and their organization.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Fair points - Especially the first one, which I'd thought of as well when writing my first post.

The problem with the qualifiers, though, is that it depends on who's putting the qualifier in place. In this case, it's the NHL, which has no affiliation with any other League internationally (SHL, KHL, etc.) or the IOC. So having the best "non-NHLers" doesn't effect everyone equally, as there are NHL-caliber players playing outside of the NHL. If it were the IOC putting regulations in place, I'd be quicker to agree with you.

I simply think it should be up to the players to decide. The NHL can do plenty of things to make sure that they're not impacted as heavily as they have been in the past, and I think a huge part of that comes with the adjustment of the NHL schedule to break for the Games - Remove that aspect altogether, and if players want to leave their NHL clubs to play for their country (giving up their pay in the process), that's between them and their organization.

honestly. as i said when this all boiled down.
the IOC said they weren't paying for it. (now - if they don't pay for Basketball and they won't pay for baseball in 2020 then it make a LOT of sense for them not to pay for hockey - but i don't think the NHL's request to be seen as a rights holder was a wrong one, and the IOC was stupid not to agree with it).

and quite frankly - the Players had the options.
they decided not to accept 3 more years of the current CBA (because they decided escrow sucks even though they are the ones who raise the cap artificially every season)
they decided not to come up with any kind of compromise at all not to go.

I firmly believe if the players truly wanted to go they would have come up with something that made sense. but they didn't. so i feel 0 percent sorry for them, and the competition was a tonne more interesting without them.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
honestly. as i said when this all boiled down.
the IOC said they weren't paying for it. (now - if they don't pay for Basketball and they won't pay for baseball in 2020 then it make a LOT of sense for them not to pay for hockey - but i don't think the NHL's request to be seen as a rights holder was a wrong one, and the IOC was stupid not to agree with it).

and quite frankly - the Players had the options.
they decided not to accept 3 more years of the current CBA (because they decided escrow sucks even though they are the ones who raise the cap artificially every season)
they decided not to come up with any kind of compromise at all not to go.

I firmly believe if the players truly wanted to go they would have come up with something that made sense. but they didn't. so i feel 0 percent sorry for them, and the competition was a tonne more interesting without them.
More fair points. Definitely some ins and outs to the situation that I'm unfamiliar with - Hopefully moving forward they can figure out something that makes more sense for everyone involved.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Although Canada has been very good overall there have been some big disappointments. No gold in hockey at all really sucks, no medals at all in curling, women's bobsled only getting bronze, Patrick Chan not even medaling etc. Oh well.

gyzmo

Apr 24, 2013
Hamilton, Ontario
Although Canada has been very good overall there have been some big disappointments. No gold in hockey at all really sucks, no medals at all in curling, women's bobsled only getting bronze, Patrick Chan not even medaling etc. Oh well.

;)

cur-oly-canada-20180213.jpg

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

Canada won a gold in mixed curling Chan wasn't even a medal threat

KIWILEAFFAN

Dec 28, 2011
New Zealand
I watched every game Canada played. Only players I recognised were Mason Raymond and Scrivens.

Their last couple of games were live at 1am here.
I thought they did well considering their roster and they still have a chance to medal. Only allowed 4 goals in the tournament prior to the semi final. Defensive blunders and average goaltending cost them against the Germans imo.

Germans played an amazing game but almost let it slip.
I hope they continue their winning ways. Good on them.

Canadas Olympics has been pretty impressive and they sit 3rd on the table last I looked. I have enjoyed every minute of these Olympics and if Canada did well where they traditionally do they would be higher up the table.

Still ahead of the Yanks tho so that pretty good.

But only just ahead of little old NZ :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: Lauro

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
I didn't expect it but this were very good Olympics even with many events at night and no NHL participation. I almost watched everything on tape. Germany and Canada, my two favourite countries, were very good. The US not. Perfect.
And now this huge upset, first Sweden, than Canada, wow. It may have been the first time I rooted for Germany against Canada in hockey, because this Team Canada is not as enjoyable as other no NHL teams like 1994 with Paul Kariya and Petr Nedved or 1992 with Eric Lindros, Sean Burke and Joe Juneau.
A great day in German hockey history, even the Canadian S team is much better on paper than Germany. I still hope it was the last Olympic tournament without NHL participation.

Reactions: PlietscherDassel

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Congratulations to Team Canada for at least securing the Bronze medal in Hockey!

Thank You!

Canada 6 - Czechs 4

Oh, and, a big thank you to the Ladies for bringing home the Silver medal too!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->