2018 ohl draft April 7th

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Thinking Thomas Haynes has college interest. Only reason I can imagine a surefire OHL player falling this far

*Nvm, there he goes!

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
So far who has had the best draft according to people who actually watch these guys?

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Haven't been so hot on the petes draft with the Cuylie uncertainty, but Spearing is a rock solid pick.
I agree. Spearing I think he was a steal.
Biggest one I see as a steal and I am shocked why he dropped was Diaco from London jrs who went to Hamilton. If he was -3-4 inches taller he could've gone round maybe even top ten.
Biggest steals IMO are

In no particular order aside from diaco.
Moore to niagara. I may be in the minority but I think he is the best D in the draft. Definitely one that will take you out of your seat. Think subban meets Ellis.
Valade -Kitchener
Halliday- niagara. I wasn't to big on him earlier in the year but he had a strong playoff and OHL cup final
Foerster. Barrie scored the local kid 55th and I think he should've been top twenty.
Bulovs-Saginaw
Uberti-niagara
Serpa- Kitchener
Serraglio-Peterborough assuming he is committed somewhere. If not I have no clue why he was not gone way way way earlier
Pepper- Guelph
Britton/ Hamilton
Wong-Kingston. I've said this before and I'll say it again. This kid played in the shadow of drysdale and Moore and played a perfect complete game. Never really made mistakes. IMO he is the third best player on that team behind Moore and drysdale. That offense had so much help because of a team that had guys that new how to move the puck up better than any team. Oakville had a greatest defensive team but the marlies moved the puck up better than any team.
Tverberg-whoever gets him - edit. Hamilton. Must've read my post. Lol
So far Diaco and Wong are the biggest steals IMO. Niagara got three really good steals. Maybe four as I think Snow can be a steal as well

Last edited:

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Who would be the top names still there? Anyone surprised about someone who hasn't been picked?

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
Battalion took 5 local players.....one at #9 round #1.......who is their local scout and does Stan owe him money??????????????

Reactions: Uncle

NorthHockey

Sep 9, 2014
Well kudos to North Bay unlike a majority of the Ontario based teams who in total drafted over 50 US kids!!

So much for Canadian hockey.

Also good for the Barrie Colts on selecting some home talent.

Reactions: Pinwheels

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Seems to me battalion had a good draft

They too drafted a US player from Shattuck-St Marys

Is Niagara now a desired destination? Seems a couple fell to them

Last edited:

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Who would be the top names still there? Anyone surprised about someone who hasn't been picked?

As someone who follows the Alliance, I thought Zane Dalpe would have been drafted in one of the later rounds. I’m thinking his skating may have hurt his stock a bit.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Mayotte is an Ottawa player currently playing US prep school He played with Jackson who they also selected

Niagara had a lot of good steals in this draft

Carson Bantle from Wisconsin? was the other Shattuck-St Marys player selected by NB

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Names you guys were surprised not to hear?

Thought for sure someone would have taken a flier on Logan Gallagher from Clarington. Some of the best hands in the draft, and clearly has more physical growth ahead of him.

Mazemenos is another name I thought would go.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Saw primarily ETA and GTHL. Here's some other omissions that surprised me: Matteo Dixon, Nik Vanclief, Lucas Hunt, Ivan Mikuljan(wow, this one is a surprise), Sebastian Tamburo, Aydin Parekh, Isaac Macleod, Trevor Andrews, Liam Monardo, Luke Tchor, Owen Porter, Max Morris, Kolby Poulin, Gino Colangelo, Cole Galata, Alex Power(this one HAS to be an eligibility issue)

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I am not sure anyone can really evaluate this draft individually per team because we don’t know who will or who won’t report.

It will be a fluid assessment that will move around a lot based on commitments.

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
Seems to me battalion had a good draft

They too drafted a US player from Shattuck-St Marys

Is Niagara now a desired destination? Seems a couple fell to them
The US player from Shattuck-St Mary's is from Mallorytown Ontario, Near Brockville....

Rubbers29

Jan 9, 2012
Well kudos to North Bay unlike a majority of the Ontario based teams who in total drafted over 50 US kids!!

So much for Canadian hockey.

Also good for the Barrie Colts on selecting some home talent.

I have never understood this argument, 1/6 of the players selected were American in a league that 1/6.667 teams are American, how much closer do you want, teams like London, Sarnia & Windsor are geographically the same or closer to the US teams than they are to the GTHL. To me a guy that lives an hour down the road is more local than a guy from 6.5 hours east even if it’s across the border.

An OHL GM’s Job is to take the player that has the best chance to make their team win, Hockey Canada’s Job is to select Canadian players

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Anyone with some info on the Greyhound picks? Lack of early round picks but Dubas and now Raftis have picked alot of core players in later rounds so im optimistic.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Anyone with some info on the Greyhound picks? Lack of early round picks but Dubas and now Raftis have picked alot of core players in later rounds so im optimistic.

O'Rourke was a top 10 talent that fell to us. That's a pretty nice coup to start with, could be a similar player to Nurse if all goes well.

Cole Caufield was another top talent with strong ties to the Soo and a college commit that we took a gamble on late. He would be a massive get.

Kerins and Watson look like typical Greyhound forwards. I expect we could see them next year, considering how many forwards we lose.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
The University of Michigan. :laugh:
How many teams are they going to ice in Anne Arbour? With all of the commits in this age group alone from the OHL draft area they cannot possibly sign them all. Then there are commits in Western and Eastern Canada and from other regions of the USA. I believe many kids committing at this age end up without scholarships.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Yeah, but all those kids who committed to Michigan would have zero problem getting a scholarship anywhere else.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Any idea why Serraglio and Diaco dropped so far. I understnad Diaco is undersized but Serraglio I thought for sure was at least gone by second round. Diaco was probably the most exciting player in the draft for me.Are they commited?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad