2018 ohl draft April 7th

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
I had Serraglio ranked somewhere in the 5th-8th round, so for me, not a huge surprise. Definitely a very smart and poised player, though.

Diaco just seems like size concerns. I think he's gonna be terrific.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
AtMWQi9r_bigger.jpg
TheScout.ca‏ @TheScoutDotCa Apr 7

And that wraps it up.
Once again, there is nothing to be discouraged about not being selected today,
especially in what was an incredibly deep draft.
Means very little if you didn't sneak in somewhere in the 150-300 range as
teams are just pulling players at that point

ForestCityHky

Feb 15, 2018
Thanks Pinwheels you are a pretty smart guy. Not an agent or parent but thanks for the arrow. Homework is that a dozen Vaughan Kings go in this draft. As they shall. Congrats.
Final Vaughan Kings count was 13 drafted
1st round Perfeti, Tulio, Orouke
3rd Russell
5th Dorazio, M.Costantini
6th Baldassarra, A.Costantini
10th Roberts, Hall
12th Rizzo
15th McQuennie

May have missEd him but did no see perala drafted

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Final Vaughan Kings count was 13 drafted
1st round Perfeti, Tulio, Orouke
3rd Russell
5th Dorazio, M.Costantini
6th Baldassarra, A.Costantini
10th Roberts, Hall
12th Rizzo
15th McQuennie

May have missEd him but did no see perala drafted

No Perala was not taken which surprised me alot. However he could use this as motivation and make a strong case for a first round pick in the 2019 midget draft. Another two players that I thought would have been selected was Porter from the Titans and MacCleod from JrCanadians.

WJ

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
McCleod - JRC
Parekh - JRC
Diaco - London
Colangelo - YSE
Hunt - TRW
Vitale - TRW
Tambaurro - Reps
Porter - Titans
Perla - VK
Enero - Marlies
Dalpe - Sun County
Knight - NYR

im no scout and i only saw the ohl cup and some local alliance games, but most of those names dont really move the needle for me. some of them are 5'7/5'8' and not overly skilled.

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
North Bay Trappers AAA had 5 taken by Battalion.....has an OHL ever drafted that many off one team????

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
North Bay Trappers AAA had 5 taken by Battalion.....has an OHL ever drafted that many off one team????

That is a lot in one draft! Schlueting and Campbell were worthy picks. Not a bad idea for NB to use the other later local picks this way. The team can watch, & advise players while playing major midget trappers this year; and next year for voodoo, and some practices with battalion. It should help gain interest for trappers & voodoo; and hopefully, loyalty to battalion.

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
That is a lot in one draft! Schlueting and Campbell were worthy picks. Not a bad idea for NB to use the other later local picks this way. The team can watch, & advise players while playing major midget trappers this year; and next year for voodoo, and some practices with battalion. It should help gain interest for trappers & voodoo; and hopefully, loyalty to battalion.
5 seems excessive, fine line between buying interest/good will and icing a competitive hockey team. I understand where the organization is coming from and wont hold it against them for taking 1 or 2 too many.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
NB does have a competitive team though. They had an extra 2nd and have extra future picks; so instead of taking shots early on players unlikely to show, they (may have) reached on locals later. At worst, NB stocked up the future of their jrA affiliate; and maybe, some good feelings in their market.

Last edited:
Reactions: LDN

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Size too small - not accurate on many of the players on the list as several are over 5'10" In fact this yr OHL draft has several players below 5"9" in size and/or in weight below 155lbs

Smaller size, speed & skills was a trend - look through Erie, Hamilton, Guelph and London picks for starters

ill rephrase.

i look at some of the kids that you mentioned, and they just are not skilled enough to play in the ohl. the two defenceman parekh and enero, how much better are they going to get? they project as defense first guys but look at the ohl and tell me how many 5'7/5/8 guys are successful doing that, not many if any at all. being a good aaa player doesnt have anything to do with being drafted, its about role and projections. if teams think there are as good as they are ever going to get (which is probably the case with most oft he players mentioned), then theyll take a kid who may have more growth left in his game.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
ill rephrase.

i look at some of the kids that you mentioned, and they just are not skilled enough to play in the ohl. the two defenceman parekh and enero, how much better are they going to get? they project as defense first guys but look at the ohl and tell me how many 5'7/5/8 guys are successful doing that, not many if any at all. being a good aaa player doesnt have anything to do with being drafted, its about role and projections. if teams think there are as good as they are ever going to get (which is probably the case with most oft he players mentioned), then theyll take a kid who may have more growth left in his game.

Parekh? Maybe you're thinking of a different player. His problem isn't a lack of skill, it's mobility. Parekh is definitely skilled enough to play in the ohl. Well...And size is also a problem. But his skill is a strength of his game.

Last edited:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Parekh? Maybe you're thinking of a different player. His problem isn't a lack of skill, it's mobility. Parekh is definitely skilled enough to play in the ohl.

no, I know who he is. I didn’t see it, and all I can say is that obviously the OHL teams didn’t see it either. i watched 3 games and he never displayed a high skill game. he made decent plays but at that height you have to be dynamic.

doesn’t mean he’s never going to play anywhere, I can just see why ohl teams may think he’s as good as he’s going to get, he probably can’t get much thicker or bigger

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
no, I know who he is. I didn’t see it, and all I can say is that obviously the OHL teams didn’t see it either. i watched 3 games and he never displayed a high skill game. he made decent plays but at that height you have to be dynamic.

doesn’t mean he’s never going to play anywhere, I can just see why ohl teams may think he’s as good as he’s going to get, he probably can’t get much thicker or bigger

I'm not so surprised that he wasn't drafted. That's why I asked earlier in the thread where people think he might go, because his mobility and size is such a hinderance. I could have seen anywhere from 7th-undrafted, and that's where he ended up falling. I'm not sure he gets any bigger.

I don't see the defense first projection, so agree to disagree. He's a fantastic powerplay player.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I'm not so surprised that he wasn't drafted. That's why I asked earlier in the thread where people think he might go, because his mobility and size is such a hinderance. I could have seen anywhere from 7th-undrafted, and that's where he ended up falling. I'm not sure he gets any bigger.

I don't see the defense first projection, so agree to disagree. He's a fantastic powerplay player.

then we agree. i think if you look at the ohl you need to be a lleywten moore type to be valued at 5'7/5'8. i dont think hes that great of a skater either, plus if hes already as big as hes going to get, then like you said, whats the upside? i think some parents get confused, the ohl isnt worried about what you are now, they want to draft the best players 2/3 years from now. i can totally see why many teams didnt think that the guys listed above are as good as they are ever going to be.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Interesting comments, they suggest that the following players who are below 5'8" in height and 155lbs in weight (mentioning a small sample size ) have the skill set of Moore and/or have lots of OHL player profile ?

#60/Erie - Frankie Carogioiello
#91/Guelph - Cooper Walker
#92/Niagara - Ethan Sims
# 104/Erie - Daniel Baldassara
#118/Hamilton - Avery Hayes
#120/Erie - Elias Cohen
#130/Windsor- Tanner Kelly

To be clear, I'm advocating for both MacCleod and Parech both on JRC that should were over looked as well as other players referenced on my list

where did i say that players at 155 lbs are not valued, you used 155lbs not me? i said that smaller players who look like they have physically developed already may not be valued, and the draft points that out.if you already filled out, you cant get stronger or improve your skating.

the parech kid is almost 190lbs, he's not going to be able to get much bigger, so how can he get better? the players who can add 10/20lbs have the ability to get better. the forward is the same size, short and thick, not much room to get stronger or improve that aspect. those guys dont get drafted often. like i said, its more about 2/3 years from now, not right now. the kid may be the best in the gthl, but that doesnt make him the best in 2/3 years. teams would rather take a kid who can get strnoger vs a kid who already is as strong as hes going to get.

Last edited:
Reactions: zman77

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Erie had this smaller guy named Alex DeBrincat who wasn't too bad of a player.

debrinkat also had a ncaa commitment, it’s not like he was unknown or unwanted. plus he was a pretty good scorer at u16. like I said, it’s not about hieght, it’s about projecting. smaller players who are physically topped out don’t exaclty scream
long term potential

Reactions: ScoresFromCentre

Dog Fan

Apr 22, 2017
The problem with "going Debrincat" is that there's only ever been one Alex DeBrincat! Truly the greatest OHL free agent signing of all time.
You don't have to be a Debrincat to be a good OHLer. We have had some good smaller players here in Niagara; Alex Friesen, Andrew Agazinno (not sure of spelling), Michael Swift, Luke Mercer, Vince Dunn, Jessie Graham, etc.. Many of these players have been an integral part of playoff teams and conference champions. Bring my Icedogs quality OHL players regardless of size.

Reactions: ScoresFromCentre

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I know Lucas Chiodo has always given Flint problems and he ain't exactly Tyler Myers. You can add him to the list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad