Speculation: 2018 Off-Season: We fell short again... now what do we do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Miller’s not worth that. I’d much rather have Johnson for $5M than Miller for $6M.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Depends on if you think Miller is the player that meshed so well with Stamkos and Kucherov. That was impressive to watch and easily worth 5 million. Having said that, need to stay away from paying too much for redundant complimentary players when we have a solid pipeline. Those guys can be replaced, Kucherov not so much.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
There's too many comps out there for Miller to not get 5mil at least. Guys like Killorn or Marcus Johansson getting 4.5 without hitting 50 points. Schenn and Saad getting 5-6mil after 1 50 point season. With him being arbitration eligible it's probably better to negotiate a longer deal with him now then go to arbitration and have him get a 1 year deal from it. Sign him for 4 or 5 years and we can still trade him down the line.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
The problem with Miller isn't that he's a bad player. He's very good and his instant chemistry of actually MAKING plays and doing little things like taking the body and causing turnovers is needed. He's actually a very nice piece to have and is definitely worth at least 5M when you take into consideration the past few years, its almost like 1M per 10 points, of course there are exceptions and players don't live up to it - or surpass it, but like Hose said, he's in that range.

The problem is, do we really need to spend another 5 million on him? I really don't want to. After watching him in the playoffs, I don't want the guy here long term and I'm disappointed it seems we are resigning him. We need that kind of player but one that doesn't lay an egg when it matters. We were told by Rangers fans that he disappears in the playoffs. He did exactly that. We don't need another player that doesn't show up in the playoffs when we have Jeckyl and Hyde players like Palat who seems to play half a season or at least put forth an effort half the season, or Killorn who is a 40 pt guy but pretty vanilla and Johnson who isn't really the same anymore.

If he resigns Miller I hope it's for 1 year. We shouldn't be looking to give +5M to a guy who had 1 ES goal in 17 playoff games after showing he can play hockey very well prior to the postseason (and in his career). We have enough postseason ghosts and disappointments, let's not add another for a crazy amount of years.

Inb4 he gets a 5x5.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Why would he only sign him for a 1 year, makes no sense even if you wanted to move him. Guy would be signed through his entire prime, you'd be increasing his value by getting him on term.

We're taking what Rangers fan say into consideration? Girardi is trash and will never be useful, McDonagh will be a stud for you guys - neither was true. Miller had a better run this season then any of his NYR playoffs, guy can improve especially for a player of his mold and age. Besides you're not going to have 5 guys go PPG in the playoffs like what some of you guys expect, depth players will always be hit or miss, which is exactly what Miller is and exactly no one has any standards for Palat in the playoffs, the biggest differnece on getting over the hurdle is having your big guns show up and all 3 of ours shat the bed those final 3 games.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Right......when has Killorn broken 50 points? Oh right never.
Dude who the hell cares? Killorn will score the game 4 winner in DC and meanwhile Bozo gonna Bozo. That 50 points gonna do anything for us then big guy? Or should I wait another 57 games to see if Miller turns over a new leaf and see if he'll better 3 whopping goals that Killorn will have in 1/5 the time?

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
From Joe Smith
Draft notes: #TBLightning not planning to move Tyler Johnson, why they’re interested in extending McDonagh, plus more on RFAs, Domingue, Halpern, Kucherov + Kovalchuk

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Why would he only sign him for a 1 year, makes no sense even if you wanted to move him. Guy would be signed through his entire prime, you'd be increasing his value by getting him on term.

We're taking what Rangers fan say into consideration? Girardi is trash and will never be useful, McDonagh will be a stud for you guys - neither was true. Miller had a better run this season then any of his NYR playoffs, guy can improve especially for a player of his mold and age. Besides you're not going to have 5 guys go PPG in the playoffs like what some of you guys expect, depth players will always be hit or miss, which is exactly what Miller is and exactly no one has any standards for Palat in the playoffs, the biggest differnece on getting over the hurdle is having your big guns show up and all 3 of ours shat the bed those final 3 games.

"depth players will always be hit or miss, which is exactly hat Miller is and exactly one has standards for Palat in the playoffs"

Palat doesn't get heat because he is arguably our most complete player at forward and when it comes to the playoffs he is more than efficient. He is in fact by all accounts the definition of hit or miss. But he has done it to the tune of 20 goals and 41 points in 63 games. Killorn's production is similar. If that is hit or miss then what on earth is 3 goals, 24 points in 57? One of these is not like the other. Even Callahan and Nash have managed a better goals average than that. Getting fat playing with Stamkos and Kucherov from October to March and going AWOL from April-June is neither an effective or intelligent use of our cap space. There's a reason this guy was a throw in on the McDonagh deal and we just learned it the hard way.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Doesn’t appear SY is going to tweak the core. I hope the increased cap provides an opportunity to improve the roster. Maybe Mike Green can be an offensive force. Split up he and Serge, two sharp shooters from the point. Maybe McDonough can cover up Green in the Dzone.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
From Joe Smith
Draft notes: #TBLightning not planning to move Tyler Johnson, why they’re interested in extending McDonagh, plus more on RFAs, Domingue, Halpern, Kucherov + Kovalchuk

zoidberg-and-his-slinky_o_540754.gif

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Doesn’t appear SY is going to tweak the core. I hope the increased cap provides an opportunity to improve the roster. Maybe Mike Green can be an offensive force. Split up he and Serge, two sharp shooters from the point. Maybe McDonough can cover up Green in the Dzone.

With Carlson off the board it's probably the best hope we have. However for as much as I condone Green coming here I just get those Matt Carle feelies all up and down my spine and it makes me uneasy

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
With Carlson off the board it's probably the best hope we have. However for as much as I condone Green coming here I just get those Matt Carle feelies all up and down my spine and it makes me uneasy
Yikes, let’s hope it would work out better than that. So maybe it would look like....

Heddy-Stalls
McDonagh-Green
Serge-Girardi

Trade Coburn? Let KK compete with Girardi, can aalways move Serge to the right side.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
From Joe Smith
someone has to be the odd man out Miller, Johnson or Killorn ? because how can you pay Mcdonagh, kucherov and point there raises next season ?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Miller’s not worth that. I’d much rather have Johnson for $5M than Miller for $6M.

Me too. I'd even rather let him go to arbitration to give him another chance at a big playoffs than lock him up now. Let him prove it, and, if he does, give him even more. But this isn't a case of a guy who's performed poorly in a handful of playoff games. He's had plenty of chances to prove himself and hasn't. And I'd just like to see a little something in the post-season before we lock him down. Either that or move him now for a player with high potential to fit in immediately.

EDIT: I should note that I'd be fine with signing Miller AS LONG as we didn't give him an NTC. But that's pretty rare these days.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Yeah, but there's a difference between not being great and being flat-out bad. Miller was our worst player in at least a couple of games. Somebody always has to be the worst player, but (unless your name is Ryan Callahan), you probably shouldn't be the second/third highest paid forward and then be the worst player in a big game.

If we were to sign him, I think he'd have a solid regular season. He's a complementary player, and we have a ton of players to complement. But he looked a lot like Teddy Purcell in the playoffs. And that's keeping with a solid history of the same. He's definitely still young enough to change that, but trusting in that feels like a big gamble, and it's not like we wouldn't spend that money elsewhere if we were to move on from him.

As for Rangers fans, they were right about Callahan, wrong about Girardi (except for a few who were dead-on), and the jury's still out on McDonagh. But it's definitely a red flag when more than one NYR fan predicted just about exactly what Miller would look like in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad