2018 off-season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
We had 98 points, Carolina had 82, NYI had 80, a fairly large gap there.
CBJ has Dubois, Bjorkstand, Wennberg, Milano and Werenski - I'll take our young players. Bob is the only reason they're competitive.
NJ had Nico - Bratt, Zacha, Santini, Butcher are nice but not special.

We finished ahead and have a better young core and better talent in the pipeline.
lel we finished ahead of them because we have something they don't: multiple 28-30 year old players who are near the top of their positions. When everybody's young talent is in their prime, we lose our G & Jake advantage.

Their young talent is just as good as our young talent.

If you don't want to be worried about them and keep living in dreamland thinking our prospects are gonna bat .1000 and we can't make trades or signing because where is the money to sign Wade Allison or NAK gonna come from, then that's your business.
I'm not overlooking them. This time last year we had the best future going in the Metro. Now Taylor Hall is an MVP and Nico is legit, Barzal is legit and the Islanders had 2 top 10 prospects fall into their laps, Seth Jones took a giant leap forward and Dubois looks legit, Carolina has traded out of 2 disappointments and got a legit prime RHD and they got a top pick etc etc etc.

The gap between us and them in small. It's gonna be dog fight for the Metro for the next 10 years between us, CBJ, CRL, NJ, & NYI.

What can tilt it for us is if Carter Hart is the answer.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Lots of stuff gonna happen tomorrow involving the flyers. Jesus.

Wait,What! We're getting The Jesus?

cf92e88c825648b50cbf5fdcbf5db292.jpg

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I'd feel a lot better going forward with the "our players own progression will be enough" logic if teams like Carolina, NY Islanders, Columbus, and Jersey also didn't have extremely bright young players they're building around. They all have super high end young talent as well and it's not like they're not gonna take steps forward.

In regards to the future Metro arms race, we had a jump on Carolina by getting Patrick, but the very next year the same lottery fortune falls on them and they get Svech.
CBJ is the only team on here that I think currently projects to keep pace.

Based on NHL roster/+ organizational depth I think we've got the jump on everyone else.

Since you edited, you can't just discount the NHL rosters. "Everyone" is pretty happy with the Flyers top 2 lines right now. This doesn't likely significantly change for 2 more years. We have 2 of our top 4 worked out. Sanheim looks like 3 of 4, so then, we need at least a 4. We have numerous prospects who could fit those 3 spots.

So we have 2 more seasons minimum to fill out the bottom 6, and hope some guys show flashes to be on top lines.

I'm really not counting ANYONE drafted this year, because PD+1 changes alot of projections.

Personally, NJD has still defense issues, and is Kinkaid the guy? CAR doesnt have the top end NHL talent now and seems to just be in perpetual rebuild. NYI...who knows where they are now. Getting rid of the Snow regime is good for them, but if they loose JT, thats a big step back for them.

CBJ has a good roster now, and good young depth at all positions.

Last edited:

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Based on NHL roster/+ organizational depth I think we've got the jump on everyone else.
Jump? yes.

But those teams are gonna be in the conversation with us.

When the window opens, it's not gonna be us against Pittsburgh or Washington, it's gonna be us against Columbus & Carolina & NYI & NJ.

I hope some ill fortune comes to Columbus in the form of them losing Panarin for nothing. That would be great.
NY Islanders losing Tavares to a Western team would be awesome.
Carolina has a questionable GM who literally birthed and killed an expansion team in Atlanta due to his incompetence. He did well on the Dougie trade tho so maybe he got a clue somehow.
Jersey scares me the least of the group tbh so I digress.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
lel we finished ahead of them because we have something they don't: multiple 28-30 year old players who are near the top of their positions. When everybody's young talent is in their prime, we lose our G & Jake advantage.

Their young talent is just as good as our young talent.

Now Taylor Hall is an MVP and Nico is legit, Barzal is legit and the Islanders had 2 top 10 prospects fall into their laps, Seth Jones took a giant leap forward and Dubois looks legit, Carolina has traded out of 2 disappointments and got a legit prime RHD and they got a top pick etc etc etc.

The gap between us and them in small. It's gonna be dog fight for the Metro for the next 10 years between us, CBJ, CRL, NJ, & NYI.

What can tilt it for us is if Carter Hart is the answer.

Hall is a top young player, so is Couts and Ghost, I wasn't counting the players who were already in their primes, Hall isn't going to improve.
Nico was healthy, Patrick wasn't, who do you think makes a bigger jump this season?
Islanders have a few good players, but Barzal wasn't a better prospect a year ago than Frost is right now.
Carolina is a long way away.

Still don't see where these teams match our youth, much less close the gap.

Norze

Jun 28, 2018
Norway
G(30) and Jake(28) can be our advantage, there is no rule saying they can`t be very good players in their early/mid 30`s, but who no.

Most of the prospects are just starting to break through, and Simmonds can be traded for something in between (23-26 regular good player), picks/prospects or sing to a semi bad contract.

A Goalkeeper, top 4 rhd, scoring top 6/9 winger and a third line center is what we need. All of them “needs” can probably come from with inn and from what we already have (with time).

The hard part is to balance/hit on the cost of time (the old ones) vs the cost of time (the young ones). Sell some of the farm for let’s go now, give it a year or two and see, sell the “old” core for 2023-24-25-26 "bonanza", do the best/good moves for infinity (limbo)! I`m torn!!

Regardless we should use the cap space to bring in some players (and have Lehtera, Weise buried) to get some picks or elite players.

*Edit Ghost is traded, Did we get a Ek signed for 9m/7y?

Last edited:

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
G(30) and Jake(28) can be our advantage, there is no rule saying they can`t be very good players in their early/mid 30`s, but who no. Most of the prospects are just starting to break through, and Simmonds can be traded for something in between (23-26 regular good player), picks/prospects or sing to a semi bad contract. A Goalkeeper, top 4 rhd, scoring top 6/9 winger and a third line center is what we need. All of them “needs” can probably come from with inn and from what we already have (with time). The hard part is to balance/hit on the cost of time (the old ones) vs the cost of time (the young ones). Sell some of the farm for let’s go now, give it a year or two and see, sell the “old” core for 2023-24-25-26 "bonanza", do the best/good moves for infinity (limbo)! I`m torn!! Regardless we should use the cap space to bring in some players (and have Lehtera, Weise buried) to get some picks or elite players.

I'll trade Gostisbehere for some paragraphs

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Hall is a top young player, so is Couts and Ghost, I wasn't counting the players who were already in their primes, Hall isn't going to improve.
Nico was healthy, Patrick wasn't, who do you think makes a bigger jump this season?
Islanders have a few good players, but Barzal wasn't a better prospect a year ago than Frost is right now.
Carolina is a long way away.

Still don't see where these teams match our youth, much less close the gap.
- Hall isn't going to improve, but he doesn't need to improve. He made the jump and is now an MVP winger something nobody saw coming this time last year.
- Patrick should obv take a bigger leap than Nico next year because it's an easier jump to make going from 30 points to 45 than Nico jumping from 50 to whatever he gets.
- I don't care that Barzal wasn't a better prospect last year than Frost is right now. Barzal is an actual real life PPG 1C in the NHL (until he shows otherwise).
- IMO you should be scared most by the Carolina Hurricanes. They easily match our future strength (defense) plus they just got a high end kid in Svechnikov.

Barzal is proof to how things change. It's ill advised to still hang your hat on the fact that we had the best pipeline for 2017-18 when another year is in the books and other teams around us were fortunate enough to be in positions to gather some really high end pieces. Don't get me wrong, Farabee is nice and he's who I wanted, but he's not on the level of guys NYI or CRL just drafted.

Do you see how fortunes have changed for some of our division teams in a year's time? Top line wingers turning into MVPs, no bright forward prospects in Carolina and they get a dynamite one + get a legit offensive top pair RHD, NY Islanders with no future behind JT and now all of the sudden they have another potential Franchise 1C plus land 2 top 10 prospects (and now have an actual coach & GM. That in and of itself is like switching from AIDS to Iced Cream).

You don't see the gap closing right now, but it will become apparent when our window opens around the same time theirs does and it's not the cake walk some apparently think it's gonna be.

All I'm saying is we're not the only team in the division loaded with high end younger talent and it would be ill advised to think we are.

Reactions: Ruck Over

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
- Hall isn't going to improve, but he doesn't need to improve. He made the jump and is now an MVP winger something nobody saw coming this time last year.
- Patrick should obv take a bigger leap than Nico next year because it's an easier jump to make going from 30 points to 45 than Nico jumping from 50 to whatever he gets.
- I don't care that Barzal wasn't a better prospect last year than Frost is right now. Barzal is an actual real life PPG 1C in the NHL (until he shows otherwise).
- IMO you should be scared most by the Carolina Hurricanes. They easily match our future strength (defense) plus they just got a high end kid in Svechnikov.

Barzal is proof to how things change. It's ill advised to still hang your hat on the fact that we had the best pipeline for 2017-18 when another year is in the books and other teams around us were fortunate enough to be in positions to gather some really high end pieces. Don't get me wrong, Farabee is nice and he's who I wanted, but he's not on the level of guys NYI or CRL just drafted.

Do you see how fortunes have changed for some of our division teams in a year's time? Top line wingers turning into MVPs, no bright forward prospects in Carolina and they get a dynamite one + get a legit offensive top pair RHD, NY Islanders with no future behind JT and now all of the sudden they have another potential Franchise 1C plus land 2 top 10 prospects (and now have an actual coach & GM. That in and of itself is like switching from AIDS to Iced Cream).

You don't see the gap closing right now, but it will become apparent when our window opens around the same time theirs does and it's not the cake walk some apparently think it's gonna be.

All I'm saying is we're not the only team in the division loaded with high end younger talent and it would be ill advised to think we are.

if giroux, jake, courturier dont repeat those stats in 2019 season, this team is going to be in trouble. you only have provy, ghost, and patrick to pick it up, that's not going to be enough, simmonds is streaky, there's hardly any elite players in our bottom 6, that's what hurt us this past season, i just dont see how this team will compete with just three players.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
if giroux, jake, courturier dont repeat those stats in 2019 season, this team is going to be in trouble. you only have provy, ghost, and patrick to pick it up, that's not going to be enough, simmonds is streaky, there's hardly any elite players in our bottom 6, that's what hurt us this past season, i just dont see how this team will compete with just three players.
We're banking everything on players from within taking the jump.

But some of us are looked at as complete ass holes on here for not wanting to completely "trust the process" and banking on all of the young guys taking the big steps necessary. Some players will make the jump; others won't. But we're the pricks for raising the questions "... but what if they don't make the jump?"

I'm more than confident Patrick & TK will take as many steps as Hakstol will let them (TK could easily put up the season Kyle Connor just had or is going to have next year, but will TK get the chance?). I hope to god Sanhiem puts together a 30-point campaign (that's a lot of points, but that's about what it's going take for me to continue to think we have a keeper with Sanhiem). I hope Myers gets a chance and can be the Top 4 RHD this team is dying for. I don't think Frost is on the roster, but if he does cool hopefully he is awesome. I'm not a Lindblom truther, but if he can magically take the jump into a Top 6 guy, then awesome.

That's a lot of hope, tho. And we don't have a goalie. And we still have college boy as our coach.

Reactions: RespectTheProvorov
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad